Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Xudash » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 am

DeltaV wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:"The replacements: UNC, Duke, UofL & Memphis.This would be a net gain in football, and that can’t be completely ignored. The academic swaps are, mostly neutral."

ACC:
Out - UNC, Duke, Syracuse, UofL

In - SC, UCF, Cincy, Maryland

Uconn is already here. Would I take S'cuse n Vandy? Certainly. Syracuse needs to return to sanity and the BE. Vandy would make a nice doorstop down there with DePaul. Of course, I'd rather have Duke than Vandy.
All in all a nice little exercise in "what if's".

No-one is getting 'booted' from any major league unless there is a complete overhall of the conference/D1 FBS system.

- - - - - -

Agree about the "booting out" thing - - not happening without some kind of seismic event taking place.

In what world is Memphis an "academically neutral" candidate to some of the schools listed?

I'm sure Maryland is chomping at the bit to give up B1G money.

If the ACC were able and willing to shed schools in an effort to exit weak programs in order to attract stronger programs, wouldn't BC and Wake be the first candidates to go?

The BE is rock solid now at 11 with UCONN. Of course, if Notre Dame came calling, I suppose we would make room. Without a Dr. Evil time portal, I suspect that Gonzaga is stuck in the WCC.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Cuse has fallen a LOT since leaving. Sure they had a few very good years mixed in but overall they have been very far from the top 10 and almost always top 25 team they were in the Big East. They were a blue blood while here. Boeheim is only getting older and they may fall off completely after he is gone. Sure they will make more playing in ACC but their football will never be great sustainably and there's no recruiting base which is the same issue UConn had. Northeast teams are not made for big time college football. I hope Cuse falls off even more after Boeheim.
MullinMayhem

Postby DeltaV » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:34 am

Xudash wrote:
DeltaV wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:"The replacements: UNC, Duke, UofL & Memphis.This would be a net gain in football, and that can’t be completely ignored. The academic swaps are, mostly neutral."

ACC:
Out - UNC, Duke, Syracuse, UofL

In - SC, UCF, Cincy, Maryland

Uconn is already here. Would I take S'cuse n Vandy? Certainly. Syracuse needs to return to sanity and the BE. Vandy would make a nice doorstop down there with DePaul. Of course, I'd rather have Duke than Vandy.
All in all a nice little exercise in "what if's".

No-one is getting 'booted' from any major league unless there is a complete overhall of the conference/D1 FBS system.

- - - - - -

Agree about the "booting out" thing - - not happening without some kind of seismic event taking place.

In what world is Memphis an "academically neutral" candidate to some of the schools listed?

I'm sure Maryland is chomping at the bit to give up B1G money.

If the ACC were able and willing to shed schools in an effort to exit weak programs in order to attract stronger programs, wouldn't BC and Wake be the first candidates to go?

The BE is rock solid now at 11 with UCONN. Of course, if Notre Dame came calling, I suppose we would make room. Without a Dr. Evil time portal, I suspect that Gonzaga is stuck in the WCC.

Wake Forest is an interesting conundrum for them. They don't have the academic credibility of Duke (or Vanderbilt in the SEC), don't bring a ton to the table for Football (I think they had one decent year this century?). They do have some history in Basketball, but it isn't as strong as UNC/NCState/Duke, and they're the 4th school in a state right in the center of the ACC's region. But, they have history in the league. I still don't think anyone is going to get kicked out of a league, but if there were to be it might be them, even over BC, just because BC (and Syracuse) spread the ACC"s claim to be a national league (as opposed to only the south).

In that bizzaro-world, I'd probably be in favor of taking them (not like they're going to willingly give up the ACC money). If UConn football continues to stay afloat, maybe they'll show there is a way for any teams which do leave the football 5 (willingly or other) to maintain relevancy, especially if we keep basketball at a national level.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am

I am sort of torn. I love the double round robin because it makes it feel like a cohesive conference and you really get to know the teams in the conference. On the other side I still believe Dayton and VCU would both strengthen the league as basketball brands plus take a jump similar to X, BU and CU did. Hard pass on SLU.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Xuperman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am

DudeAnon wrote:I am sort of torn. I love the double round robin because it makes it feel like a cohesive conference and you really get to know the teams in the conference. On the other side I still believe Dayton and VCU would both strengthen the league as basketball brands plus take a jump similar to X, BU and CU did. Hard pass on SLU.

These constant emerging threads tend to be annoying but I'll bite.

I'm a Notre Dame or nothing guy and a hardcore never-UD Flyer. I am always perplexed when the rare fellow X fan, supports adding UD. Strictly from an ardent Xavier fan point of view, what can the Flyers possibly offer that would benefit OUR PROGRAM???

The ability to recruit with the added BEast cache alone, would certainly invite unwanted competition that doesn't exist now.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby Xudash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Xuperman wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I am sort of torn. I love the double round robin because it makes it feel like a cohesive conference and you really get to know the teams in the conference. On the other side I still believe Dayton and VCU would both strengthen the league as basketball brands plus take a jump similar to X, BU and CU did. Hard pass on SLU.

I'm a Notre Dame or nothing guy and a hardcore never-UD Flyer. I am always perplexed when the rare fellow X fan, supports adding UD. Strictly from an ardent Xavier fan point of view, what can the Flyers possibly offer that would benefit OUR PROGRAM???

The ability to recruit with the added BEast cache alone, would certainly invite unwanted competition that doesn't exist now.

Exactly.

The Dude would get abused if he ever found a way to stumble into an X BoT meeting and spewed out that stupidity.

At the conference level, the radar had been quiet until UCONN became a serious opportunity, because the BE had been so successful that there was no stress or pressure applied by members or our media partner to “fix” a problem that didn’t exist. Besides, Ackerman and the Presidents are too sharp, given our status, to look down into the A10 - they have the luxury of standing pat with a well performing machine.

And now, with UCONN days away from becoming a member? Game. Set. Match. Big East.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Xuperman wrote:

Finally some honesty from X fans about us. For years it was about how weak we were, how UD Arena was a shack, and so on. We UD fans knew all along that our problem was coaching, and with Archie and Anthony Grant we're starting to see the benefits of good coaching.

I do agree with X fans, there is no compelling reason to add UD today, maybe never. But thanks for the honesty- we'd be bad ass competition for you should we ever get into the BE. So appreciate that you know what we know. That's all, and it will probably be another couple years before you hear from me again- trying to be a respectful guest.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby X-man » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 am

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:
Xuperman wrote:

Finally some honesty from X fans about us. For years it was about how weak we were, how UD Arena was a shack, and so on. We UD fans knew all along that our problem was coaching, and with Archie and Anthony Grant we're starting to see the benefits of good coaching.

I do agree with X fans, there is no compelling reason to add UD today, maybe never. But thanks for the honesty- we'd be bad ass competition for you should we ever get into the BE. So appreciate that you know what we know. That's all, and it will probably be another couple years before you hear from me again- trying to be a respectful guest.

Here's some real honesty from a Xavier fan, and many more X fans who agree with me. Unlike you, UD fans by and large tend to be unabashed and unrealistic jerks. They have the only arena in college basketball where the home team never commits a foul. They don't hesitate to insult and throw refuse on any opposition team's fans that shows up for a game at their arena. They are so classless that they rooted for Xavier's opponent during the NCAA tournament play-in game at UD Arena even when Xavier was in their same league! And they didn't hesitate to throw one of their own players (Christy Mack) under the bus because she had the temerity to marry a (former) Xavier coach and therefore deserved to be insulted unmercifully when she attended A-10 games at UD Arena. And this partly was because Mack, as a Evansville player, threw a ball off a UD player's face on an inbounds play called by the disreputable Evansville coach. So no, most Xavier fans never want to see the Flyers in their league again...ever.
Last edited by X-man on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby kayako » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 pm

X-man wrote:Here's some real honesty from a Xavier fan, and many more X fans who agree with me. Unlike you, UD fans by and large tend to be unabashed and unrealistic jerks. They have the only arena in college basketball where the home team never commits a foul. They don't hesitate to insult and throw refuse on any opposition team that shows up for a game at their arena. They are so classless that they rooted for Xavier's opponent during the NCAA tournament even when Xavier was in the same league as they are. And they didn't hesitate to throw one of their own players (Christy Mack) under the bus because she had the temerity to marry a (former) Xavier coach and therefore deserved to be insulted unmercifully when she attended A-10 games at UD Arena. And this partly was because Mack, as a Evansville player, threw a ball off a UD player's face on an inbounds play called by the disreputable Evansville coach. So no, most Xavier fans never want to see the Flyers in their league again...ever.

Sounds like a good rivalry. X and Dayton should play once in a while.
supernova
kayako

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:32 pm

The feeling for X by us is similar. The Christy incident is one incident , and we have formally apologized to her for the poor behavior of a few immature drunk college kids. After all, she is in our HOF and married an X head coach. Complicated, but those kid's behavior was wrong, plain and simple. . But keep bringing that up, I could reciprocate in kind ("zip em up!") . But as the guest, I will not post any further rebuttal, and defer to you for any final response. UD Flyer Fanatic.... signing out!
UD Flyer Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board