Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:40 pm

Demon22 wrote:
Cheech wrote:DePaul should be challenged to improve quickly or face expulsion.

Here are the Big East bylaws:

https://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_asse ... Bylaws.pdf

Show me the part about being able to kick a school out for being bad at basketball. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

So, unless you believe the other 10 Big East schools would enjoy the resulting law suit, you can STFU about expulsion.

Cheech is a Dayton fan. I don't know why, but they seem very fixated on DePaul's struggles, as if that helps Dayton somehow.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:29 pm

As hard as it is to build a sustainable competitive program that is capable of annual tournament appearances and potential tournament runs, it is as equally hard to have managed a program with zero tournament appearances, numerous twenty-loss seasons and a regular 11th, 10th or 9th place (out of 10/11) finish with multiple head coaches. They've hired the stud recruiter (Stubblefield), the experienced winner (Purnell), the mid-major winner (Wainwright) and the last program winner (Leitao). All failed miserably.

You need players to win, and to win you have to get the players. It's a tough cycle to break for DePaul. Thankfully, it's not due to a lack of investing resources (Wintrust Arena, new practice facility, money spent for Purnell and Stubblefield and getting Peevy, who was MBB AAD at Kentucky). Hopefully they are committed to NIL.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby EMT » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:53 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:As hard as it is to build a sustainable competitive program that is capable of annual tournament appearances and potential tournament runs, it is as equally hard to have managed a program with zero tournament appearances, numerous twenty-loss seasons and a regular 11th, 10th or 9th place (out of 10/11) finish with multiple head coaches. They've hired the stud recruiter (Stubblefield), the experienced winner (Purnell), the mid-major winner (Wainwright) and the last program winner (Leitao). All failed miserably.

You need players to win, and to win you have to get the players. It's a tough cycle to break for DePaul. Thankfully, it's not due to a lack of investing resources (Wintrust Arena, new practice facility, money spent for Purnell and Stubblefield and getting Peevy, who was MBB AAD at Kentucky). Hopefully they are committed to NIL.

That's why they need to throw a flyer at Huggy Bear. He lived off the JUCO/Transfer wagon for years. It is the only example from above they haven't tried.
EMT

Postby Demon22 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:49 pm

If DePaul is going to take a chance on a former high-major coach that's looking for another chance, I'd rather see them hire Will Wade instead of Huggins.
Demon22

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:26 am

Demon22 wrote:If DePaul is going to take a chance on a former high-major coach that's looking for another chance, I'd rather see them hire Will Wade instead of Huggins.

My remembrance is a bit foggy??? Wasn't Mr. Wade a proven cheater? If not, what was his issue?

1. Ben Howland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Howland 2nd winningest coach in UCLA history. Rebuilt Mississippi State. Still has some life in his game.
2. Huggins needs rehab for his drinking and a solid AA group to beat his ass in line. Excellent 'hardline-type' coach and a proven winner. I'd prefer him over
crean, wade, other experienced coaches.
3. The Best coach in America... Iona's Tobin Anderson. Iowa born n raised, a coaches son, Anderson has won at all 3 division levels. Would undoubtedly return DePaul to relevance.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:18 am

I don't Git the Tobin Anderson love. He beat Purdue, and that's it. He's 5-7 at Iona, nothing impressive about the rest of his resume.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby EMT » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:18 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I don't Git the Tobin Anderson love. He beat Purdue, and that's it. He's 5-7 at Iona, nothing impressive about the rest of his resume.

Didn't Pitino steal all of Iona's good/experienced players?
EMT

Postby Cheech » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:46 pm

No one got away..Walter Clayton his pt Guard at Iona , having a great year at Florida. Would have made A huge impact for the St John.
Cheech

Postby Husky_U » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:11 am

Demon22 wrote:If DePaul is going to take a chance on a former high-major coach that's looking for another chance, I'd rather see them hire Will Wade instead of Huggins.

2nd. Wade would do wonders.
Husky_U

Postby gosports1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:02 am

I wonder if Billy Donovan could be lured to Depaul? Would be a paycut but might be a great ego booster if he could turn them around
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board