SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

Postby Throwbackmuskie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 pm

If I were dayton (thank God I am not) I would be working on getting into the MVC. Witcha St, SIU, Northern Iowa are much better than Fordham and Duquense others. If I were VCU I would work with George Mason, St Joseph, La Salle, Davidson, CofC, Boston U and some others and from a strong east coast conference. I bet UMASS is talking to team America or whatever the new thing is called about joining.
Throwbackmuskie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SpiderFan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 pm

I wonder why any of the media hasn't picked up on this UMass board stuff and rumors of the meetings? I would guess that media was there at/near the A10 meetings with the new Big East meetings happening also and should have sniffed something along those lines. And we know that with Lenn Robbins in NYC itself and if he even heard a whisper of anything it would have been his lead story...sources or not.
SpiderFan

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm

SpiderFan wrote:I wonder why any of the media hasn't picked up on this UMass board stuff and rumors of the meetings? I would guess that media was there at/near the A10 meetings with the new Big East meetings happening also and should have sniffed something along those lines. And we know that with Lenn Robbins in NYC itself and if he even heard a whisper of anything it would have been his lead story...sources or not.

Well its been the case of this whole process that very few tidbits of information has gotten to the press. I know there have been several posts on this board that have stated that its impressive that the c7 presidents have managed to keep such a tight lid on everything. Every now and then you received a flurry of press coverage (most incorrect or unsubstantiated) while the C7 themselves have remained quiet. Another thing is that most of these inside contacts have been with writers with insiders with the BEFBS and who work with institutions that have no connections with the C7 and if anything have an interest in writing on the C7 in false light. At this point its obvious that your not going to get anything from the C7 until the announcement is officially made.
BillEsq

Postby podcast411 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm

BillEsq wrote: At this point its obvious that your not going to get anything from the C7 until the announcement is officially made.

And that makes all this waiting and stressing all the more painful.
podcast411

Postby xu95 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:00 pm

BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:There is absolutely no truth to it. I am not a lawyer, but I think that both Dayton and St. Louis would have a very good case against the A10 if they were excluded when everyone else who has been leaving was not.

I love how someone from a UMASS board was privy to what happened in the A10 meetings.

Oh... you would be surprised how information leaks... Remember Umass has a foot out the door and are not involved in the whole c7 mess. All you need is a Umass staffer to say something to an intern and ... well then you get your leak....

Hey I can't prove to you anything happened as far as i know they were having a secret underground drinking competition and Butler and Xavier were turned away because they didn't have the correct password. However there is a lot of rumbling that the other is what occurred. It is quite possible that it did and not at all shocking that a rumor came out from the UMass front.

your right that Slu and Dayton would have a good case (although far from airtight) however as the Xavier blogs pointed out this whole meeting was called to flush out the remaining two defectors. This rumor is plausible and just as plausible as any other rumor out there. Its not like other than 2 tweets from Espn we have really anything else to go on from this meeting.

Their are just as many rumors swirling around that the other two schools haven't been decided yet. Not sure why you would believe this one anymore than all the others. I do believe that the A10 is trying to put the full court press on any schools that might be leaving, but I don't think they told anyone that they can't play in the tourney next year.
xu95

Postby BillikensWin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm

xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:There is absolutely no truth to it. I am not a lawyer, but I think that both Dayton and St. Louis would have a very good case against the A10 if they were excluded when everyone else who has been leaving was not.

I love how someone from a UMASS board was privy to what happened in the A10 meetings.

Oh... you would be surprised how information leaks... Remember Umass has a foot out the door and are not involved in the whole c7 mess. All you need is a Umass staffer to say something to an intern and ... well then you get your leak....

Hey I can't prove to you anything happened as far as i know they were having a secret underground drinking competition and Butler and Xavier were turned away because they didn't have the correct password. However there is a lot of rumbling that the other is what occurred. It is quite possible that it did and not at all shocking that a rumor came out from the UMass front.

your right that Slu and Dayton would have a good case (although far from airtight) however as the Xavier blogs pointed out this whole meeting was called to flush out the remaining two defectors. This rumor is plausible and just as plausible as any other rumor out there. Its not like other than 2 tweets from Espn we have really anything else to go on from this meeting.

Their are just as many rumors swirling around that the other two schools haven't been decided yet. Not sure why you would believe this one anymore than all the others. I do believe that the A10 is trying to put the full court press on any schools that might be leaving, but I don't think they told anyone that they can't play in the tourney next year.

Holy crap, I agreed with xu95. If they pull that Horizon crap (barring teams from the tourney), I'd say go independent for a year. F that noise. I would want nothing to do with the A-10 if that was really happening. Saint Louis, Dayton, VCU and Richmond (assuming the cutoff is 10) don't need the Atlantic-10's crap if that's how they're going to play it. I don't see it happening. The backlash against the Colonial and Horizon was pretty strong last season, and I honestly think the A-10 is above that. Temple and Charlotte were allowed to participate in the A-10 tourney, so why change the rules now? Very small-time, and I feel sorry for any fans stuck in a league that would pull that junk.

/rantswitch off
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby sandw04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 pm

The A 10 would have nothing to offer any school that wanted to join the BE 7. That kind of TV money is just overwhelming. Except for the ACC, most conferences have worked with each other, giving the conference being raided time to cover its bases and add new members. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I do think no single conference is going to be able to stop defections. I actually think the Big 10 was a bit rash in accepting Rutgers and didn't poach Syracuse before 'Cuse even joins the ACC.
sandw04

Postby BillikensWin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm

sandw04 wrote:The A 10 would have nothing to offer any school that wanted to join the BE 7. That kind of TV money is just overwhelming. Except for the ACC, most conferences have worked with each other, giving the conference being raided time to cover its bases and add new members. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I do think no single conference is going to be able to stop defections. I actually think the Big 10 was a bit rash in accepting Rutgers and didn't poach Syracuse before 'Cuse even joins the ACC.

Absolutely 100% correct. I wonder how much conferences actually do allow other leagues to recover. It would be Big of the Big East (if the plan is 12-14) to allow the A-10 to fill some of the gaps by not taking 4 or more schools at once. I'd like to see the A-10 reaction after tomorrow though.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby sandw04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I would think the A 10 would come out with a positive outlook, at least publicly. When the switch was made for Louisville, Cincy, Fla, Marquette, and DePaul to the Big East, CUSA rebounded with going all Southern football schools and the parting was very amicable. One caveat would be that the TV money is so much more today.
sandw04

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Throwbackmuskie wrote:If I were dayton (thank God I am not) I would be working on getting into the MVC. Witcha St, SIU, Northern Iowa are much better than Fordham and Duquense others. If I were VCU I would work with George Mason, St Joseph, La Salle, Davidson, CofC, Boston U and some others and from a strong east coast conference. I bet UMASS is talking to team America or whatever the new thing is called about joining.

0% chance to go to the MVA... the A-10 will still be a superior conference with the MVC loosing Creighton... that said there are rumors of a major shakeup happening in the Mo-Valley It would be unwise for Dayton to make that switch and I know that Slu definitely would not.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board