SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

The home for Big East hoops

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

Apparently that is the rumors going on...

It looks like the meeting Xavier and Butler were not invited to last week was about the St. Louis and Dayton defections. The A-10 has informed Slu and Dayton that they can play and schedule A-10 teams next year but will not be invited to any conference tournaments.

(this is per the Umass Board)

My guess is Papa Fox will pay and get its twelve next year.
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

Postby podcast411 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am

Bill while Dayton fans wish this rumor was true - it just does not seem likely - at least the part about the tournament.

1. Temple and Charlotte both played this year in the Tournament after give a year plus of notice.

2. The A-10 is going to want as many teams and their fans in Brooklyn for the tournament as possible to sell tickets.

Again - I wish the rumor was true but a couple pieces seem fishy.
podcast411

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am

podcast411 wrote:Bill while Dayton fans wish this rumor was true - it just does not seem likely - at least the part about the tournament.

1. Temple and Charlotte both played this year in the Tournament after give a year plus of notice.

2. The A-10 is going to want as many teams and their fans in Brooklyn for the tournament as possible to sell tickets.

Again - I wish the rumor was true but a couple pieces seem fishy.

I agree, I was shocked when i saw that the A-10 was doing it. But as this is not coming from a Flyer Board or a Slu Board it has some credibility. UMass has some vested interest as it is a FBS school who may also be looking to get out. It also ties in very well with what was being said on the Xavier blogs about last weeks meeting being a committal meeting. It looks like the A-10 is trying to flush out its members who are thinking about leaving. granted nothing is official, but this is not all together surprising
BillEsq

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am

If this was true, why didnt the SLU and UD representatives leave the meeting as well? Does make much sense otherwise.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 am

Bostonspider wrote:If this was true, why didnt the SLU and UD representatives leave the meeting as well? Does make much sense otherwise.

Because they were the subject of the meeting... why would you leave if the other schools were discussing your fate? Wouldn't you be pleading your case?
BillEsq

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 am

Not likely they would want you there, and if you were leaving in two years, they likely would discuss the fines / penalties without you..
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 am

Bostonspider wrote:Not likely they would want you there, and if you were leaving in two years, they likely would discuss the fines / penalties without you..

Fines and penalties are already in place... being banned from league tournaments require a league vote. As from what i gather Slu and Dayton have not made their decision final (don't have to until June) there is no grounds to ban the schools. Since the meetings directly impact St. Louis and Dayton they kind of have to be there... I mean you do have to tell them at some point at some meeting.
BillEsq

Postby glen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am

Seems like wishful thinking to me. We'll find out soon enough.
glen

Postby Edrick » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 am

Bostonspider wrote:If this was true, why didnt the SLU and UD representatives leave the meeting as well? Does make much sense otherwise.

Because its nonsense
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am

Edrick wrote:

Because its nonsense

Nonsense? If someone is holding a meeting about you, and informing you of what your teams will be scheduling next year it would be nonsense to leave. Hey, I'm not saying that you agree with it or like it, but that is the rumors out there. These rumors match up with every other story out there so its plausible. Slu and Dayton would not have left the meeting if they still had to plan on potentially scheduling in the A-10 next year.

Also remember this meeting is also being held for show... it is showing UMass, Richmond and VCU what will happen if they try to leave. The A-10 has some history in this last year there was a bit of an argument between the smaller schools and the larger schools in the A-10 about moving from a 16 to an 18 game schedule. My guess is the smaller schools are trying to make their impact made and now they have LaSalle and St. Joseph's on their side. There is a lot of politics involved in this. To say its nonsense really just shows a lack of understanding of the totality of the situation.
BillEsq

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board