SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: SLU and Dayton in 2014 (most likely 2013)

Postby BillikensWin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 pm

BillEsq wrote:
Throwbackmuskie wrote:If I were dayton (thank God I am not) I would be working on getting into the MVC. Witcha St, SIU, Northern Iowa are much better than Fordham and Duquense others. If I were VCU I would work with George Mason, St Joseph, La Salle, Davidson, CofC, Boston U and some others and from a strong east coast conference. I bet UMASS is talking to team America or whatever the new thing is called about joining.

0% chance to go to the MVA... the A-10 will still be a superior conference with the MVC loosing Creighton... that said there are rumors of a major shakeup happening in the Mo-Valley It would be unwise for Dayton to make that switch and I know that Slu definitely would not.

Boy would that get ugly in Midtown. I think SLU would rather join the MIAA than the MVC.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:14 pm

xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:There is absolutely no truth to it. I am not a lawyer, but I think that both Dayton and St. Louis would have a very good case against the A10 if they were excluded when everyone else who has been leaving was not.

I love how someone from a UMASS board was privy to what happened in the A10 meetings.

Oh... you would be surprised how information leaks... Remember Umass has a foot out the door and are not involved in the whole c7 mess. All you need is a Umass staffer to say something to an intern and ... well then you get your leak....

Hey I can't prove to you anything happened as far as i know they were having a secret underground drinking competition and Butler and Xavier were turned away because they didn't have the correct password. However there is a lot of rumbling that the other is what occurred. It is quite possible that it did and not at all shocking that a rumor came out from the UMass front.

your right that Slu and Dayton would have a good case (although far from airtight) however as the Xavier blogs pointed out this whole meeting was called to flush out the remaining two defectors. This rumor is plausible and just as plausible as any other rumor out there. Its not like other than 2 tweets from Espn we have really anything else to go on from this meeting.

Their are just as many rumors swirling around that the other two schools haven't been decided yet. Not sure why you would believe this one anymore than all the others. I do believe that the A10 is trying to put the full court press on any schools that might be leaving, but I don't think they told anyone that they can't play in the tourney next year.

Hey I know they are rumors... and as everyone on this board knows i prefer to see official statements rather than rumors... that said it appears that the A-10 is as you say putting on the full court press... what does that mean... i don't know. Listen on this one i'm just the messenger putting together a string of rumors and connecting them to tweets and coming up with a plausible outcome. Does it pass the maybe test yes... does that mean it really happened.. i don't know. I do think the A-10 wants to address their membership for next year. Whereas last year they could scoop up a VCU and Butler to replace a Temple and Charlotte. This year their looking at loosing potentially 4 top level teams and not having near the quality to pick back up. They may handle this very differently. They also need to see what Umass is thinking. It makes sense that they would "full court press" to flush out the two 2014 teams.
BillEsq

Postby xu95 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 am

BillikensWin wrote:Holy crap, I agreed with xu95. If they pull that Horizon crap (barring teams from the tourney), I'd say go independent for a year. F that noise. I would want nothing to do with the A-10 if that was really happening. Saint Louis, Dayton, VCU and Richmond (assuming the cutoff is 10) don't need the Atlantic-10's crap if that's how they're going to play it. I don't see it happening. The backlash against the Colonial and Horizon was pretty strong last season, and I honestly think the A-10 is above that. Temple and Charlotte were allowed to participate in the A-10 tourney, so why change the rules now? Very small-time, and I feel sorry for any fans stuck in a league that would pull that junk.

/rantswitch off

Shocking, I know.
xu95

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/19 ... tml?ipad=y

Hope springs eternal. Half of me wish the BE would have just said... no we are not inviting anymore teams under any circumstances. Tomorrows game can't get here fast enough...
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 pm

BillEsq wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199221451.html?ipad=y

Hope springs eternal. Half of me wish the BE would have just said... no we are not inviting anymore teams under any circumstances. Tomorrows game can't get here fast enough...

It ain't over 'til it's over. I'm still pulling for you guys
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Muskie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 am

BillEsq wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199221451.html?ipad=y

I'm hoping the X/SLU series is only taking a one year hiatus. I've always enjoyed the match-ups with you guys. You have a great arena, and a passionate fan base. If/when the Big East expands, I hope SLU makes the cut.
Muskie

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board