If adding 2 of 3 - best argument for UD, SLU, and Richmond

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If adding 2 of 3 - best argument for UD, SLU, and Richmo

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 pm

None of that goes against anything I've said around here. Instead of being in a 1-3 conference we look to be a 3-5 conference according to most computer numbers I've seen.

You're wrong that we''l probably fall in line with the Am12, though,, the data indicates they'll be a clear step below the Big East. They'll have the top programs, but too much weight. They line up beautifully with the current A10, actually. This is why getting out was becoming necessary just as much as the instability, they're taking a harder fall than we are.

Computer numbers suggest, using future conference alignments, our new conference will be able to surpass the ACC and B1G in their down years and our up years. We hang pretty tight to them, but they are a definite step above us. We fall roughly in line with Pac and SEC and find ourselves in the 3-5 range most often.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

yorost wrote:None of that goes against anything I've said around here. Instead of being in a 1-3 conference we look to be a 3-5 conference according to most computer numbers I've seen.

You're wrong that we''l probably fall in line with the Am12, though,, the data indicates they'll be a clear step below the Big East. They'll have the top programs, but too much weight. They line up beautifully with the current A10, actually. This is why getting out was becoming necessary just as much as the instability, they're taking a harder fall than we are.

Computer numbers suggest, using future conference alignments, our new conference will be able to surpass the ACC and B1G in their down years and our up years. We hang pretty tight to them, but they are a definite step above us. We fall roughly in line with Pac and SEC and find ourselves in the 3-5 range most often.

I hope i said we would be above the Am12.... if i said otherwise it was a mistype.... I said top three right after B10 and ACC and right with B12.

We are also clearly ahead of the SEC and PAC. The PAC a couple of years ago couldn't even send their league champion and the number 2 sec team didn't go this year. The BE 10 or BE 12 would be top to bottom over both. The only Advantage the SEC has is that every other year UK will be a world beater.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Ah, you did say better than Am12, but also better than SEC, Pac, and MWC. We look to be competing with those last 3 for ranking, but not likely the Am12. They don't fit in that group from what I've seen.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 pm

yorost wrote:Ah, you did say better than Am12, but also better than SEC, Pac, and MWC. We look to be competing with those last 3 for ranking, but not likely the Am12. They don't fit in that group from what I've seen.

Good i was worried.... If i ever say that the NBE will be equal or lesser than the Am12 please slap me- I read your message and was beginning to think all this stress of waiting might have gotten to my brain.

I think they will be above the SEC- Outside of Florida and UK no school really changes at the top and there are only a few mid tier teams. plus the bottom of the SEC is horrible...

The PAC is at best over rated and recently came off some years where it was lucky to get more than 1 team in. If you move the BEto 12 and just play the low averages of a c7+ X,D,SLU,C, and B over the past few years it is a far superior league.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Over the last few seasons, yes, our 12 team (Dayton) conference ranks consistently above the historical SEC and Pac. Going back more years than that and it stops being the case. The Pac, not so long ago, had the highest rated conference in a season. Both are on down trends, we'll see how long it stays that way.

Oh, and just for kicks, there is a season in the last 5 the future Big East rates higher than the old Big East in Sagarin score.
yorost

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 pm

yorost wrote:Over the last few seasons, yes, our 12 team (Dayton) conference ranks consistently above the historical SEC and Pac. Going back more years than that and it stops being the case. The Pac, not so long ago, had the highest rated conference in a season. Both are on down trends, we'll see how long it stays that way.

Oh, and just for kicks, there is a season in the last 5 the future Big East rates higher than the old Big East in Sagarin score.

Add Richmond instead of Dayton over the past few seasons and the 12 team conference is improved.
cm5yz6

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Over the last 9 seasons, Richmond rated higher than Dayton in 1, so probably not. Swapping Richmond or Dayton doesn't make a huge difference on the overall conference number, though.
yorost

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:24 pm

yorost wrote:Over the last 9 seasons, Richmond rated higher than Dayton in 1, so probably not. Swapping Richmond or Dayton doesn't make a huge difference on the overall conference number, though.

Oh you are going by Sagarin, I was going by NCAA units which bring cash.
cm5yz6

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:35 pm

...and is inconsequential in measuring conference quality as neither of you have earned many. You made the Sweet Sixteen, which is great, but Dayton has been a consistently stronger program. The consistently strong program is more likely to benefit the conference basketball product as it will help bolster computer numbers and provide for a greater chance of quality wins as less chance for bad losses.
yorost

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:59 pm

yorost wrote:...and is inconsequential in measuring conference quality as neither of you have earned many. You made the Sweet Sixteen, which is great, but Dayton has been a consistently stronger program. The consistently strong program is more likely to benefit the conference basketball product as it will help bolster computer numbers and provide for a greater chance of quality wins as less chance for bad losses.

you were discussing the past few years. few i would consider to mean 3-4. and Richmond has outshined Dayton in the past 3-4 years. i never said anything further than that. if you would ask someone who has had the better past 3-4 years, they are going to say Richmond (2 NCAA apps, Sweet Sixteen, Conference Tourney Championship, 2 Conference Tourney Championship apps). that is all i was saying.
cm5yz6

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board