If adding 2 of 3 - best argument for UD, SLU, and Richmond

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If adding 2 of 3 - best argument for UD, SLU, and Richmo

Postby shupirate98 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am

Bostonspider wrote:* Most recent NCAA Success, Sweet Sixteen in 2011, NCAA tourney in 2010 and 2011
* Strongest A-10 record of the three in the last 6 years (58-38)
* Fresh Market
* History of Success in both CAA and A10 since 1984 (9 NCAA Tournaments, 8 wins)
* Proximity to East Coast schools / Balance Conference
* Best academic numbers outside Georgetown
* Largest General endowment of all the schools ($2 Billion)
* Largest Athletic endowment of all the schools ($150 Million)
* Strong Olympic Athletic Programs
* NCAA Men's Lacrosse team which allows Big East to retain auto-bid
* Coolest nickname in college sports.

I'm in favor of Richmond but if we want the coolest nickname in college sports we need to add UC Santa Cruz.
shupirate98

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

ok ok, banana slugs it is...
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am

shupirate98 wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:* Most recent NCAA Success, Sweet Sixteen in 2011, NCAA tourney in 2010 and 2011
* Strongest A-10 record of the three in the last 6 years (58-38)
* Fresh Market
* History of Success in both CAA and A10 since 1984 (9 NCAA Tournaments, 8 wins)
* Proximity to East Coast schools / Balance Conference
* Best academic numbers outside Georgetown
* Largest General endowment of all the schools ($2 Billion)
* Largest Athletic endowment of all the schools ($150 Million)
* Strong Olympic Athletic Programs
* NCAA Men's Lacrosse team which allows Big East to retain auto-bid
* Coolest nickname in college sports.

I'm in favor of Richmond but if we want the coolest nickname in college sports we need to add UC Santa Cruz.

I would be willing to forgo my support of the Billikens on the inclusion of the Banana Slugs.... Thankfully i don't see them moving up from D3 in a while ...
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am

BillEsq wrote:
yorost wrote:Easy answer, none of Dayton, Richmond, VCU, or St. Louis bring such a convincing case for a basketball program against the others to make themselves a clear winner. None of them are definitive great adds over the other much less obvious adds. Adding them all would be a terrible choice.

So.. because you have three teams alike- and only spots for two- you compromise by adding 0- ???

:|

That's not what I said. The last sentence was to emphasize we aren't debating between Syracuse's and Louisville's.
yorost

Postby C7+5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 am

yorost wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
yorost wrote:Easy answer, none of Dayton, Richmond, VCU, or St. Louis bring such a convincing case for a basketball program against the others to make themselves a clear winner. None of them are definitive great adds over the other much less obvious adds. Adding them all would be a terrible choice.

So.. because you have three teams alike- and only spots for two- you compromise by adding 0- ???

:|

That's not what I said. The last sentence was to emphasize we aren't debating between Syracuse's and Louisville's.

Well if you want to talk Louisville, UD swept them in their home and neutral series a couple years ago. Would have loved to get them a 3rd time at UD Arena but they wouldnt agree to that.
C7+5

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

C7+5 wrote:
glen wrote:It would seem to this outsider based on the information of this unbiased source that Dayton has done less with more than any of the other choices.

Can't disagree with that. The Dayton program has underachived for the resources and program following that they have.

That said, if UD scheduled properly, they wouldn't have to play a conference game at home to outdraw Richmond for an entire season of attendance. Also, although their overall market size is slightly lower that Richmond, they have almost twice the viewership.

It comes down to this. Do you want to take a school based on what they really bring to the table....or do you want to take a school that is closer to the Atlantic Ocean?

hahahah that is far from the question at hand
cm5yz6

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 am

C7+5 wrote:Well if you want to talk Louisville, UD swept them in their home and neutral series a couple years ago. Would have loved to get them a 3rd time at UD Arena but they wouldnt agree to that.

Wonderful, and you've also had success against Marquette recently. I didn't say those 4 programs were crap.

Dayton is no Louisville, but if you want to make a serious allusion to that being the case I don't know what to say.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 pm

yorost wrote:
C7+5 wrote:Well if you want to talk Louisville, UD swept them in their home and neutral series a couple years ago. Would have loved to get them a 3rd time at UD Arena but they wouldnt agree to that.

Wonderful, and you've also had success against Marquette recently. I didn't say those 4 programs were crap.

Dayton is no Louisville, but if you want to make a serious allusion to that being the case I don't know what to say.

The UofL fan in me has sensed a disturbance in the Force.... :?

for what its worth Slu regularly beat Louisville in Conference USA even beat them when Louisville was number 2. That said to compare any of the +5 and most if not all of the C7 to Louisville is pretty silly. I think we should just avoid the Louisville comparisons they are an ACC team now with FBS football. ;)
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Obviously none of our schools are a Louisville, not even close. This conference is a downgrade for the Seven. We're trading a mix of schools above us or similar to us for schools that are all similar to us. That's why going back to the same number of teams would be a terrible idea. If we could replace some of those top teams leaving with equals we wouldn't worry about how many teams we had.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:10 pm

yorost wrote:Obviously none of our schools are a Louisville, not even close. This conference is a downgrade for the Seven. We're trading a mix of schools above us or similar to us for schools that are all similar to us. That's why going back to the same number of teams would be a terrible idea. If we could replace some of those top teams leaving with equals we wouldn't worry about how many teams we had.

I don't think you guys will be downgrading that much. I can tell you people in KY think highly of Slu, Dayton, Butler and X. Also you can't worry about the past. The OBE is dead that said the NBE at 12 teams will easily be a top 4/5 conference. At ten teams it will still be good but will drift towards the bottom end. Logic is that 12 similar programs are better than 10 similar. I assure you that the NBE at 12 will rank ahead of the PAC, SEC, AM12 and MW. It will also top to bottom rank higher than the B12 and will easily be better than the B12 - Kansas. Only the ACC and B10 will be able to potentially rank higher than the NBE and thats not shabby or much of a downgrade.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board