Dauster: On the coaching hires. How will it impact BE?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ProprietyofLeyluken » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegebas ... -2018/amp/

Dauster lists Mack as the best coaching hire of the year with Dan Hurley, 1a and 1b. Penny Hardaway gets runner up honors.
Meanwhile, he lists Travis Steele among the worst, calling him uninspiring.
I think the story going forward is coach retention and replacement. Look at how the A10 slipped last year because they couldn’t retain Miller and Wade (and now Hurley).
Imo, Hurley (and Hardaway) were big additions for UConn (and the AAC). For the last two recruiting cycles, both Providence and Georgetown landed 2 of their best recruits OFF the UConn waiver wire (MAL & Akinjo). That most likely ends now with Dan Hurley there (although it’s not a sure thing Hurley would’ve been after those guys).
The point here really isn’t the rankings as much as it is that fluidity of success. All those teams on the top of the rankings, Louisville, UConn, Memphis, etc, are now going to revert back to being in the mix for elite talent.
Regardless of whether Steele is decent or not, is this the kind of list that the conference should try to acend in? Isn’t it just as important to get the 5 star coaches?
Mind you, Im not saying anyone is not quality. But I think we do need to be aware of perception.
If Ewing or Mullin was in the mix for a player like James Wiseman I think their hires would have registered like the Hardaway hire has. I’m aware that performance will ultimately dictate reality.
Just hoping the Big East in the future is going after guys like Dan Hurley. There is no reason not to. Because when the BE doesn’t, our competition snatched him up and that’s a double whammy.
ProprietyofLeyluken

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dauster: On the coaching hires. How will it impact BE?

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Interesting theory, but I don't see Big East presidents coughing up the multi-million dollar contracts to hire the biggest name coach when the established pattern of hiring from within works at many places. Big name coaching hires might be needed to sell tickets and inspire a fan base at state run institutions but that isn't how most Big East programs operate in my opinion.

I also find it interesting that Hurley and Mack are considered to be the best hires. Both are taking the helm of programs under massive pressure - Louisville from the NCAA and UCONN from within the fanbase. Your post reads as someone who believes that Hurley is a home run hire, but I will withhold my judgment until I see the product in Storrs.

By the way, from what we have seen of Steele on the recruiting trail he's been a home run already.
ArmyVet

Postby ProprietyofLeyluken » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Steele hiring Jonas Hayes has paid dividends in Georgia, no doubt.
ProprietyofLeyluken

Postby scoscox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm

His write up is fine. Most of what he said was true. His ranking is based more off of how interesting/splashy the hire was, which imo is a bad way of looking at it, but it’s his ranking. For instance I’m not totally sold on a lot of the big hires like Mack and capel. Mack is a good coach, but I’m not sure he’ll live up to the elite standards of Louisville and it’s not going to help that he lost his best assistant and recruiter. Capel doesn’t exactly have a spectacular record either. I don’t see any of the off-season hires being game changing coaches. Good but not superstars. Except Travis of course
scoscox

Postby scoscox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Penny has a lot of hype because he’s penny and has some good aau connections but I’ll withold judgement on him. Hes got a lotttt of questions to answer. People are way out over their skis about his hire
scoscox

Postby adoraz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Steele has already been a force on the recruiting trail. In fact, I think he already has signed more top recruits than 1, 1A, and 1B... combined.

If he's not a hothead like Mack, then even better.

Wasn't Steele the hire everyone wanted at Xavier? I was pulling for him rather than going with someone outside. Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm

I find it ironic that people are defending Steele for being incredible at recruiting but when wojo came in and got Ellenson and Cheatham nobody batted an eye. Sometimes great recruiting doesn't translate. Not trying to put a damper on everyone's hopes here but maybe keep them a bit grounded.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby scoscox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Adoraz: Steele had a lot of support from players, alumni, and fans, so yes he was generally who we wanted. He is also very low key. He and Chris have very different personalities.

As for the Wojo comparison. I think that’s fair and something I was worried about as well. When I found out he was responsible for designing and calling the offense the last few years I felt a lot better. We’ll see I guess. I’ve heard players and coaches rave about his player development and knowledge of the game.
scoscox

Postby Jet915 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 pm

If Steele can coach at all, he will be a home run.
Jet915

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 pm

In terms of PR, Chris Mack's personality falls somewhere between a phonebook and the potted plant that's sitting in the corner of my room.

Steele has done everything perfectly so far.
Providence
billyjack

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board