UConn to schedule former Big East foes

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to schedule former Big East foes

Postby kayako » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 pm

admin wrote:I'll be "get off my lawn guy" for a minute. Neutral court games have always bothered me because they are typically high interest games that are essentially removed from the season ticket package as a money grab. Ultimately fans lose, in my opinion. Or at least the season ticket holders lose.

Fair point, but there's room for both.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 pm

EMT wrote:Do you think either UConn or Cincy would have signed onto the Big East with substantial and punitive penalties if they were to leave?

Yeah. And remember both uconn and cincy ended up receiving millions of the breakup fee. Sorry, I gotta go against the mass here and wish for further deterioration of uconn's AD. Their 4 titles ain't going away. We'll be fine regionally IFF another school or two can join Nova as a national powerhouse.
supernova
kayako

Postby EMT » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 am

kayako wrote:
EMT wrote:Do you think either UConn or Cincy would have signed onto the Big East with substantial and punitive penalties if they were to leave?

Yeah. And remember both uconn and cincy ended up receiving millions of the breakup fee. Sorry, I gotta go against the mass here and wish for further deterioration of uconn's AD. Their 4 titles ain't going away. We'll be fine regionally IFF another school or two can join Nova as a national powerhouse.

100% agree with you.
EMT

Postby xusandy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Every university wants/needs to make as much money from its sports programs as possible. Games that grab the interest of alumni and fans, games that sell tickets and ticket packages, games that enable a team to get better/more TV coverage, and even just games that cost less to travel to -- that's what every sports program administrator at every university is tasked to do in every sport.

So of course games against regional foes and/or old rivals are gonna keep happening. Not even an embarrassing brawl could keep X and UC away from the Crosstown Shootout for very long. The interschool animosities caused by the breakup of the old BE probably makes matchups of former BE teams even more profitable.
xusandy

Postby gosports1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
gosports1 wrote:at the very least UConn should be scheduling BC.PC and STJ on a regular basis. if they can get them, Cuse and Nova should be added to the mix as semi regular

Escazu, Bill, the Dudeanon, and others are siting economics as their main focus. Are you getting on that bandwagon or do you have additional information to add to the discussions?

also... general for this discussion.

Perspective is a key factor in building a point of view (pov) and from out here in the corn my perspective has no recent, pertinent info from the NE (last time I was there was the mid-70's). Uninformed opinion
would say that our teams are all doing well financially as there is no ongoing discussions here (or elsewhere to my knowledge) of difficulties. Perhaps that take is based on ignorance of specifics of our various schools
and their associated needs. I guess the Fox contract didn't cure all our ailments.

My POV is also skewed by a concentration on Creighton, on having historically being/been a "have not", and not being party to the problems associated with membership in a major conference. Even the Jays have faced
scheduling issues (repeatedly) over the decades and the scheduling difficulties scars are still there. Perhaps therein lies my main issue. Having come from a position of lack of power and control, to joining a major conference
and having a portion of said power, I have more animus and less affinity to the problems of the historically powerful major schools. There is no warm spot/soft spot in my heart for Majors who now are having difficulties.
Coming from a position where majors habitually and chronically declined to have a game with my Jays (even current conference members-no less), I smile when I hear or see major schools falling on their own swords due to negligence,
mismanagement, impropriety, and stupidity. Now I have concerns when a conference member has problems, but the other major schools? Chalk it up to their becoming victims of their own undoings, be it cheating, greed,
negligence, or mismanagement.

I see your good points on regional rivalries as a means to building dikes to support NE college basketball regionally given the competition for dollars and other obstacles to stability and growth. I don't see, even now,
where there is a concerted effort by regional majors to comprehensively address the issue. It seems that each is doing what is in their selfish best interests. From where i sit Creighton has not had the need or opportunity
to partake in such regional schemes as we have historically been on an Island of sorts as a Great Plains regional, catholic, midmajor. Our closest peers are all 500 miles away (Chicago, Denver, St Louis, Milwaukee).

Carry on.

. My point is simple.
Providence & Boston College would be good regional games. Easy for both fan bases to get to. More media coverage. Uconn alumni and current students more likley to have some personal connection to PC and BC, (friends relatives, coworkers neighbors) than american conference mates
St Johns gets a game at MSG Enough said
Villanova , Philadelphia exposure and a top quality opponet
Syrauctse a fan favorite and like the others has history with UConn.
Do Creighton fans like playing Nebraska? would they be interested in reviving series with Wichita or any MVC members? maybe its different in Nebraska because they are less schools within comfortable driving distance ( there and back in same day)than in the northeast, is that the case?
gosports1

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:21 am

gosports1 wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
gosports1 wrote:at the very least UConn should be scheduling BC.PC and STJ on a regular basis. if they can get them, Cuse and Nova should be added to the mix as semi regular

Escazu, Bill, the Dudeanon, and others are siting economics as their main focus. Are you getting on that bandwagon or do you have additional information to add to the discussions?

also... general for this discussion.

Perspective is a key factor in building a point of view (pov) and from out here in the corn my perspective has no recent, pertinent info from the NE (last time I was there was the mid-70's). Uninformed opinion
would say that our teams are all doing well financially as there is no ongoing discussions here (or elsewhere to my knowledge) of difficulties. Perhaps that take is based on ignorance of specifics of our various schools
and their associated needs. I guess the Fox contract didn't cure all our ailments.

My POV is also skewed by a concentration on Creighton, on having historically being/been a "have not", and not being party to the problems associated with membership in a major conference. Even the Jays have faced
scheduling issues (repeatedly) over the decades and the scheduling difficulties scars are still there. Perhaps therein lies my main issue. Having come from a position of lack of power and control, to joining a major conference
and having a portion of said power, I have more animus and less affinity to the problems of the historically powerful major schools. There is no warm spot/soft spot in my heart for Majors who now are having difficulties.
Coming from a position where majors habitually and chronically declined to have a game with my Jays (even current conference members-no less), I smile when I hear or see major schools falling on their own swords due to negligence,
mismanagement, impropriety, and stupidity. Now I have concerns when a conference member has problems, but the other major schools? Chalk it up to their becoming victims of their own undoings, be it cheating, greed,
negligence, or mismanagement.

I see your good points on regional rivalries as a means to building dikes to support NE college basketball regionally given the competition for dollars and other obstacles to stability and growth. I don't see, even now,
where there is a concerted effort by regional majors to comprehensively address the issue. It seems that each is doing what is in their selfish best interests. From where i sit Creighton has not had the need or opportunity
to partake in such regional schemes as we have historically been on an Island of sorts as a Great Plains regional, catholic, midmajor. Our closest peers are all 500 miles away (Chicago, Denver, St Louis, Milwaukee).

Carry on.

. My point is simple.
Providence & Boston College would be good regional games. Easy for both fan bases to get to. More media coverage. Uconn alumni and current students more likley to have some personal connection to PC and BC, (friends relatives, coworkers neighbors) than american conference mates
St Johns gets a game at MSG Enough said
Villanova , Philadelphia exposure and a top quality opponet
Syrauctse a fan favorite and like the others has history with UConn.
Do Creighton fans like playing Nebraska? would they be interested in reviving series with Wichita or any MVC members? maybe its different in Nebraska because they are less schools within comfortable driving distance ( there and back in same day)than in the northeast, is that the case?

Good points.

I would add that good regional rivalries intensify interest in the sport, which helps everyone.

The beauty of the original Big East was that it captured the interest of the Northeast by bringing together top programs in the region under one umbrella. Last night’s Big East game became the topic around the water cooler in any big office in NYC & other East Coast cities as alums and other fans argued and swapped opinions. I imagine that the same thing goes on in Chicago re the Big Ten.

That kind of intense regional interest is precisely what’s been lost with realignment and conference expansion - especially in the Northeast where power teams are now split up among 3-4 different conferences. If current and former Big East programs schedule games with each other, then they can maintain or recapture those regional rivalries to some degree. That kind of regional interest is always a good thing. Rivalry games played in packed arenas is always a good thing.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Rumors have surfaced here in Connecticut that St John’s and UConn are working on a deal to play a series of H&H games, potentially starting this year and with the SJU games to be played in the Garden.
Bill Marsh

Postby adoraz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Rumors have surfaced here in Connecticut that St John’s and UConn are working on a deal to play a series of H&H games, potentially starting this year and with the SJU games to be played in the Garden.

As a SJU fan, I'd welcome this. We probably hate UConn more than anyone in the conference, because in recent years they literally stole a recruit from us after they were already on campus... see Sidney Wilson. Also several others things I can't remember.

That said, I'd be happy to see this. Let's face it, both SJU and UConn are in the toilet now and this game would get both fan bases excited.

The only highlights of last year were high profile wins over Duke and Nova. Obviously UConn doesn't fall in that category, but they're at least the next tier.

For a school like Nova, obviously it benefits UConn a lot more. For a school like SJU? Eh, I'd say it's fair for both sides. Even if UConn beats SJU, it's not like anyone outside of the fan bases would notice.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby EMT » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Rumors have surfaced here in Connecticut that St John’s and UConn are working on a deal to play a series of H&H games, potentially starting this year and with the SJU games to be played in the Garden.

Can't believe that they would ever play on campus vs a sell out in the Garden guaranteed
EMT

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board