NBA Draft

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NBA Draft

Postby kayako » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:32 pm

I strongly believe that Paschall would've been drafted had he declared this year. Without that awful 3 point shooting to start the season, I believe he would've been drafted ahead of Divincenzo. As of 6/12, NBA draft.net has him going 37th in 2019. They have Ponds going 57th, though.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

This guy has Paschall going 22nd

https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/22/2019- ... reddish/4/
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:18 am

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:so I saw a mock draft on ESPN for next season. only 1 Big East player in the entire 60 man draft- #24 Shamorie Ponds- the top junior projected in the draft.

Very clearly a reloading year, but I'd be shocked if that's the case.

Ponds is a pretty safe pick. Pretty much everyone agrees he will not return for his Senior year. Unless he has a disappointing year, he'll be a 1st or 2nd round pick.

One of the half dozen Top 50 incoming recruits will probably be a one and done. Heron, if eligible this year, will likely be going to the draft too. Not sure about the other BE teams, but somebody always surprises while projected draft picks often don't pan out.

Also, even if only one Big East player is drafted next year, that means the conference will be STACKED for 2019-20. I hope the league doesn't have a big draft year again, we need to reload.

I guess a question is what players were looked at for the draft this year came back besides Ponds?

Also, wouldn't say any of the top 50 incoming recruits will probably be a one and done. None of these are higher than #29 on the incoming recruit list.

I think also we've seen a number of top notch guys reclassifying into the 2018 class. I think that's going to impact the 2019 draft big time.

If there ever was going to be a year where the Big East would have only 1 draft pick, it would be next year I think.

I looked at the 247 list of 2017 high school seniors in the 20s-50s range, and there were a few who were drafted. Trae Young was #23 in high school and selected #3 overall. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was #31 and selected #11. Zhaire Smith was #194 and selected #16. Kostas Antetokounmpo was #102 and selected #60. Also Spellman was #20 in high school, even though he was a red shirt.

So yeah, ratio wise you're probably right that it shouldn't be expected for anyone in the BE to be OAD, but there's a decent chance at least.

Also while looking at the list I found it interesting that nearly ALL (...maybe even all?) of the players in the 2017 high school top 10-15 were OAD. For the 20-50 range, most players of course stayed in school. It seems like there is a HUGE advantage to getting the 25-50+ range players, as the BE has been doing. Unless you're UK or Duke, getting a one year player seems to not be worth it.

I think most teams would be better getting a 25-50 player who would stay for a few years. Not as exciting, sure, but as a SJU fan I'm happy we ended up with Ponds (#45 on 247) and still have him rather than any of those 5 stars we went after. All of them are already out of school.

Honest question here. If Duke exclusively recruited in the 25-50 range, would they be a better team most years? I think they would be. Obviously the NBA draft is great exposure, though. Hard to argue against what they're currently doing.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:19 am

honest question Adoraz-
If you had gotten one of the OAD and St John's had made the tourney as a result, but then lost him to the NBA, would you still say that you're happy you got Ponds over those guys?

As far as your honest question, yes I think Duke would be a better team. It's why I think when the NBA gets rid of the OAD rule, I think Duke will go back to that, and be really good.
stever20

Postby BEXU » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:16 pm

BEXU wrote:JP Macura signed a 2 way deal with the Hornets:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baske ... charlotte/

Made the Hornets roster but my guess he will be playing mostly in Greensboro.
BEXU

Postby adoraz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 pm

stever20 wrote:honest question Adoraz-
If you had gotten one of the OAD and St John's had made the tourney as a result, but then lost him to the NBA, would you still say that you're happy you got Ponds over those guys?

As far as your honest question, yes I think Duke would be a better team. It's why I think when the NBA gets rid of the OAD rule, I think Duke will go back to that, and be really good.

My reply is 4 months late lol, but during that time Heron has become eligible. As to your question, right now I would take Ponds as this can really be a special year. If you asked me immediately after last season ended, then I would've taken the OAD/Tourney bid over Ponds.

Aside from just Heron becoming eligible, Ponds is now getting rated as a top 10 player in the nation. That'd be tough even for the average OAD to do.

Further, it's rare for a OAD caliber player to propel a team to the NCAAs. Generally they need a good team and depth surrounding them.

I really think in general the OAD players don't help as much as the upper half 4 stars.
Johnnies
adoraz

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board