The C7 and the NBE

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The C7 and the NBE

Postby mel ott » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm

DeePhence wrote:
kayako wrote:
alduflux wrote:Are the C7 schools better off in the New Big East or the 06-13 version of the Old Big East? Why?

As far as recruiting goes, the east coast schools are better off in the NBE because the old members like uconn, pitt, and boston college are in the gutter. But sadly only Nova has taken advantage of this.

I think 12 of Villanova's 13 scholarship players were from Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware or New Jersey. Brunson was from Chicago, but his dad who was born in Syracuse and played HS ball in Salem, Mass went to college at a Philly school. This year Swider is from Rhode Island (PC lost out on him but got Duke who was down to PC and Villanova and Reeves who was local and down to us and UConn), Slater is from the DC area, and Quinerly is from New Jersey. Wright's footprint is not national - nor does it need to be.

Plenty of players elsewhere for BE schools to go after.

Very interesting take. Never thought of where the Nova recruits played. Makes sense. Take the best out of the rich NE area, close to home, family can see, and hell, play for a national championship.
mel ott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeePhence » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Well to be fair, he has got most of his guys from between like Trenton and DC. Not so much from NYC into New England.

He got a few from New England prep schools (Spellman, Paschall, Reeves), but New England is very very fertile. PC compete very strongly recruiting NE prep kids. UConn's demise helped a lot, but Wright has been less focused here. I wonder how deep Hurley can penetrate what used to be UConn's privately stocked pond. We've recruited very well for example, in the Carolinas and the VA beach area. They're are good players all over the country. If you can recruit your own area really well and establish yourself elsewhere, it seems you have a better chance of keeping things rolling.

But with Nova so good now, and if Hurley makes a splash, New England could be very contested recruiting country.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 pm

kayako wrote:
alduflux wrote:Are the C7 schools better off in the New Big East or the 06-13 version of the Old Big East? Why?

As far as recruiting goes, the east coast schools are better off in the NBE because the old members like uconn, pitt, and boston college are in the gutter. But sadly only Nova has taken advantage of this.

Under Ed Cooley, Providence has been getting 4-Star recruits from New England prep schools for the past several years, the kinds of kids who used to stay in New England and go to UConn.

Last year they literally stole Makai Ashton-Langford (ranked #41) from the Huskies after he had first committed to Storrs, The year before they grabbed Alpha Diallo and a couple of years before him, recruited Paschal Chukwu right out of Fairfield, CT. This year they got #42 David Duke and #44 AJ Reeves out of Massachusetts.
Bill Marsh

Postby mel ott » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:45 pm

We don't have much of a recruiting base in Nebraska, but we did get Justin Patton and Kyhri Thomas in back to back years. Under the radar with talent.
mel ott

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 pm

DeePhence wrote:Well to be fair, he has got most of his guys from between like Trenton and DC. Not so much from NYC into New England.

He got a few from New England prep schools (Spellman, Paschall, Reeves), but New England is very very fertile. PC compete very strongly recruiting NE prep kids. UConn's demise helped a lot, but Wright has been less focused here. I wonder how deep Hurley can penetrate what used to be UConn's privately stocked pond. We've recruited very well for example, in the Carolinas and the VA beach area. They're are good players all over the country. If you can recruit your own area really well and establish yourself elsewhere, it seems you have a better chance of keeping things rolling.

But with Nova so good now, and if Hurley makes a splash, New England could be very contested recruiting country.

Um... Jermaine Samuels is from MA and Cole Swider is from RI. Spellman is from OH, went to school in MA as well I believe. Paschall and Quinerly are from metro NYC. So 5/11 for 2018 are from outside of the area you described. Maybe you just weren’t aware ...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:40 am

DeePhence wrote:Well to be fair, he has got most of his guys from between like Trenton and DC.

I don't disagree with most of your points. But Wright's always had very solid pipeline in North Jersey and NYC. It's probably been our most important area, although MD/VA seems to be just as important lately.
Last edited by kayako on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:44 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Under Ed Cooley, Providence has been getting 4-Star recruits from New England prep schools for the past several years, the kinds of kids who used to stay in New England and go to UConn.

Last year they literally stole Makai Ashton-Langford (ranked #41) from the Huskies after he had first committed to Storrs, The year before they grabbed Alpha Diallo and a couple of years before him, recruited Paschal Chukwu right out of Fairfield, CT. This year they got #42 David Duke and #44 AJ Reeves out of Massachusetts.

Oh, yeah I'm very aware of how well Cooley's recruited lately. I meant take advantage of this down period for former BE schools, mainly uconn, to establish Providence as the dominant new england team. Hopefully uconn is down for a while longer, but I wouldn't bet on it.
supernova
kayako

Postby Noonzy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:40 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:

Under Ed Cooley, Providence has been getting 4-Star recruits from New England prep schools for the past several years, the kinds of kids who used to stay in New England and go to UConn.

Duke lives in Providence. Played at Classical HS prior to playing at a prep in Ma.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby DeePhence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DeePhence wrote:Well to be fair, he has got most of his guys from between like Trenton and DC. Not so much from NYC into New England.

Um... Jermaine Samuels is from MA and Cole Swider is from RI. Spellman is from OH, went to school in MA as well I believe. Paschall and Quinerly are from metro NYC. So 5/11 for 2018 are from outside of the area you described. Maybe you just weren’t aware ...

Yes, I mentioned Spellman (see above), and when I said "Reeves" I brain-farted and meant Swider. Paschall went to prep school at St Thomas More in Connecticut as did Spellman, so if you give me pass for mixing up Reeves and Swider, I think I was pretty aware. I did miss on Samuels. You have four New England prep players on next year's squad: Paschall, Spellmen (both mentioned in my post), Swider (mentioned in my post but I spelled "Reeves" - my bad) and Samuels (overlooked by me.)

I

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 am

Noonzy wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:As far as recruiting goes, the east coast schools are better off in the NBE because the old members like uconn, pitt, and boston college are in the gutter. But sadly only Nova has taken advantage of this.

Duke lives in Providence. Played at Classical HS prior to playing at a prep in Ma.

Good point.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board