The C7 and the NBE

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The C7 and the NBE

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:41 pm

billyjack wrote:I like that the fans of our 10 schools can drive in the snow. And our cities aren't shut down if half an inch falls. Georgetown might be an exception though.

it might not be an exception. DC gets a half inch of snow, everything grinds to a halt. And I do mean everything. It's insane.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:32 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
billyjack wrote:Biggest difference is that the 16 team BE had teams that would cheat... recruiting, not going to class, tampering, handing YMCA jobs out to players, allowing players to sleep with the wife of your assistant coach, paying for strippers and hookers to service recruits.

Of course, Keno Davis checked at least 1 of those boxes.

As far as opponents that i miss... and first let me say that probably none of these teams miss playing PC other than maybe nostaglia from the old guard, and maybe for our great restaurants, easy access to the Dunk, and of course our exceptionally nice and respectful fans.

of the 9 that left, there's probably only 2.5 that i miss:
- UConn, due to being 40 miles away, their championships, our long history, and Calhoun.
- Syracuse, due to our long history, their success, and Boeheim.
- Louisville (half), due to our ties with Pitino. With Pitino gone, the interest drops. It's not like my kids are asking to go watch Peyton Siva run around.

The other 6 that left?
- Notre Dame, ok, maybe. But do i want to watch an offense based on bricking 3 pointers and having big dunces jump over the Friars' backs for tip-ins? Bleh. If Woolridge and Tripucka were still around, then that would be cool.
- West Virginia, no. Just a long time mid-range A-10 team. Kind of like George Washington.

Let me pause a second to remind everyone that Notre Dame was in a 5 year tailspin at the time they joined the Big East. These were the John McLeod years. The Big East saved Irish hoops.

West Virginia in the A-10 was a mid to upper-range A-10 team that hadn't made a Sweet-16 since Jerry West in the early 60's. The Big East allowed them to bring their hoops program to a completely different level. Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

- Rutgers, do not miss them.
- South Florida, do not miss them.

- Cincinnati, solid mid-range team. Sucked first few years. Don't really miss them.
- Pitt, long history, but can't say that i miss them either.

Xavier, Butler, and Creighton... what's not to like about watchibg all 3 teams at the Dunk? Great hoops-first programs.

Who's the coach with the wife passed around? and I thought we had issues under Buzz.

Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine. :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Neither cheatin' S'cuse nor ND will be coing back, but I wouldn't mind it if they did.
in the meantimes give me da' Bonnies and BU.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
billyjack wrote:Biggest difference is that the 16 team BE had teams that would cheat... recruiting, not going to class, tampering, handing YMCA jobs out to players, allowing players to sleep with the wife of your assistant coach, paying for strippers and hookers to service recruits.

As far as opponents that i miss... and first let me say that probably none of these teams miss playing PC other than maybe nostaglia from the old guard, and maybe for our great restaurants, easy access to the Dunk, and of course our exceptionally nice and respectful fans.

- UConn, due to being 40 miles away, their championships, our long history, and Calhoun.
- Louisville (half), due to our ties with Pitino. With Pitino gone, the interest drops. It's not like my kids are asking to go watch Peyton Siva run around.

The other 6 that left?
- Notre Dame, ok, maybe. But do i want to watch an offense based on bricking 3 pointers and having big dunces jump over the Friars' backs for tip-ins? Bleh. If Woolridge and Tripucka were still around, then that would be cool.
- West Virginia, no. Just a long time mid-range A-10 team. Kind of like George Washington.

Let me pause a second to remind everyone that Notre Dame was in a 5 year tailspin at the time they joined the Big East. These were the John McLeod years. The Big East saved Irish hoops.

West Virginia in the A-10 was a mid to upper-range A-10 team that hadn't made a Sweet-16 since Jerry West in the early 60's. The Big East allowed them to bring their hoops program to a completely different level. Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

- Cincinnati, solid mid-range team. Sucked first few years. Don't really miss them.

Xavier, Butler, and Creighton... what's not to like about watchibg all 3 teams at the Dunk? Great hoops-first programs.

Who's the coach with the wife passed around? and I thought we had issues under Buzz.

Exactly, Boeheim's longtime assistant.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

The other 6 that left?

Oh jeeze forgot all about that ordeal
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby kayako » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Just what do you mean specifically, Willis? Some of us are not chronic BEasterners and this conversation is out in the weeds.
3 and 4 are fairly obvious.

1) Only Nova is winning consistently?
2) Only Nova is recruiting well?
3) The NE and Mid Atlantic recruiting grounds are wide open due to the demise of the old member schools?
4) If UConn, Pitt, S'cuse, BC rebound back to respectability that our schools will do much worse recruiting the NE and Mid-ATL?

We need to get more schools to get good and stay good, because some combination of schools in your point 4 will return inevitably.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm

FriarJ wrote:The comment (by a Nova fan) "sadly only Villanova has taken advantage of this" (demise of UConn) is wrong and possibly ignorant and it's what has got everyone's hackles up.

Maybe I should have added "so far"? Didn't mean to sound arrogant.
supernova
kayako

Postby trephin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:20 pm

billyjack wrote:Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

Huggins came after Beilein bailed on WVU? Was he still suffering from the PR after the DUI? Was it sort of a home town boy returning/being called home to revive his alma mater combined with home town embracing / protecting one of their own?

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:I like that the fans of our 10 schools can drive in the snow. And our cities aren't shut down if half an inch falls. Georgetown might be an exception though.

it might not be an exception. DC gets a half inch of snow, everything grinds to a halt. And I do mean everything. It's insane.

that's what billyjack said. georgetown might be the exception to the rest of the conference which are winter hardy areas.
trephin

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm

trephin wrote:
billyjack wrote:Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

Huggins came after Beilein bailed on WVU? Was he still suffering from the PR after the DUI? Was it sort of a home town boy returning/being called home to revive his alma mater combined with home town embracing / protecting one of their own.

Huggins had already been rehabilitated from his DUI and subsequent firing at Cincinnati. He had been hired by Kansas State and was coaching there when West Virginia approached. It wasn’t that WV was bailing him out; it’s more that they were asking him to bail them out after they unexpectedly lost Beilein.
Bill Marsh

Postby BlueDog » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm

trephin wrote:

Huggins came after Beilein bailed on WVU? Was he still suffering from the PR after the DUI? Was it sort of a home town boy returning/being called home to revive his alma mater combined with home town embracing / protecting one of their own?

stever20 wrote:

that's what billyjack said. georgetown might be the exception to the rest of the conference which are winter hardy areas.

Sad to say but a half inch of snow is a borderline catastrophe here in Cincy as well, despite the fact that it usually happens a few times every winter.
Go X!
BlueDog

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board