The C7 and the NBE

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The C7 and the NBE

Postby DeePhence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:35 am

kayako wrote:
DeePhence wrote:Well to be fair, he has got most of his guys from between like Trenton and DC.

I don't disagree with most of your points. But Wright's always had very solid pipeline in North Jersey and NYC. It's probably been our most important area, although MD/VA seems to be just as important lately.

Kayako, that kind of my points (or one of them I guess - I sort of went on and on...).

Wright can get almost any player he wants between about exit 7 on the NJ Turnpike and Baltimore, and east of the Susquehanna. He owns that very fertile area. He has made a few big grabs in the New England prep scene, but Southestern PA, South Jersey, Delaware and Northeastern Maryland are his bread and butter.

The NEPSAC (New England), which is also rich, and should be a good spot for PC and other northeastern schools. It has been well-hunted by Providence, and UConn's demise and Villanova's ascent has certainly helped Wright hit a few home runs there (Spellmen, Swider, Paschall, and Quirnely), but it's not yet his private hunting estate. It remains to be seen how much Hurley can reestablish UConn in New England.

My broader point was in reply to an earlier post. Wright does - and has for a while - dominate that area I described above, but it's not like the retreats of Syracuse, Pitt and UConn has handed the entire Northeast to Villanova. We have done well there, and even Xavier and Butler have got good kids in the Northeast (Chrabaszc was from Pourtsmouth RI and went to Cushing in Connecticut). Xavier has Reynolds (Brewster Academy in NH), Farr (Maine Central Institute), and Davis (Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, MA).

I am curious to see what Ewing can do in the greater DC area and Mullin has got some metro NYC talent to come to Queens.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 pm

kayako wrote:
alduflux wrote:Are the C7 schools better off in the New Big East or the 06-13 version of the Old Big East? Why?

As far as recruiting goes, the east coast schools are better off in the NBE because the old members like uconn, pitt, and boston college are in the gutter. But sadly only Nova has taken advantage of this.

Just what do you mean specifically, Willis? Some of us are not chronic BEasterners and this conversation is out in the weeds.
3 and 4 are fairly obvious.

1) Only Nova is winning consistently?
2) Only Nova is recruiting well?
3) The NE and Mid Atlantic recruiting grounds are wide open due to the demise of the old member schools?
4) If UConn, Pitt, S'cuse, BC rebound back to respectability that our schools will do much worse recruiting the NE and Mid-ATL?
Only Jay Wright wears a tie with his pajamas?
Cooley only recruits when he wears his fav polkadot suspenders?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby FriarJ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:04 pm

The comment (by a Nova fan) "sadly only Villanova has taken advantage of this" (demise of UConn) is wrong and possibly ignorant and it's what has got everyone's hackles up.
FriarJ

Postby Xudash » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
kayako wrote:
alduflux wrote:Are the C7 schools better off in the New Big East or the 06-13 version of the Old Big East? Why?

As far as recruiting goes, the east coast schools are better off in the NBE because the old members like uconn, pitt, and boston college are in the gutter. But sadly only Nova has taken advantage of this.

Just what do you mean specifically, Willis? Some of us are not chronic BEasterners and this conversation is out in the weeds.
3 and 4 are fairly obvious.

1) Only Nova is winning consistently?
2) Only Nova is recruiting well?
3) The NE and Mid Atlantic recruiting grounds are wide open due to the demise of the old member schools?
4) If UConn, Pitt, S'cuse, BC rebound back to respectability that our schools will do much worse recruiting the NE and Mid-ATL?
Only Jay Wright wears a tie with his pajamas?
Cooley only recruits when he wears his fav polkadot suspenders?

gtmo, we're in the Big East now, so, "when in Rome": it's BRACES, not SUSPENDERS. Thought I would help out on that one.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Okay...got it. Thanks XUDash.

now let's see... Braces on pants and suspenders on teeth, no no no, Suspenders on pants and braces on teeth. No, that's not what Dash said.
Monica Luwenski's braces in pants and suspended in her teeth...no git (damnit) you got it all wrong. Damned East Coast bias rules! Kiss the dog
and beat the wife, no no no...gotta be polish-itically correct around here, with good grammar or the po-lice will come after me. No polkadots on Cooley's
"braces" and Jay wears a tie with everything. got it!
What do I do with the Monica t'ing?
Have another gin and juice git, you'll figure it out soon enough. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:12 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Okay...got it. Thanks XUDash.

now let's see... Braces on pants and suspenders on teeth, no no no, Suspenders on pants and braces on teeth. No, that's not what Dash said.
Monica Luwenski's braces in pants and suspended in her teeth...no git (damnit) you got it all wrong. Damned East Coast bias rules! Kiss the dog
and beat the wife, no no no...gotta be polish-itically correct around here, with good grammar or the po-lice will come after me. No polkadots on Cooley's

You're a good egg, gtmo.

Please be advised that I am not sure whether or not "you're a good egg" is a sanctioned phrase from the East Coast powers.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby cu blujs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Okay...got it. Thanks XUDash.

But will Jay be drinking a soda or a pop?
cu blujs

Postby billyjack » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 am

I like that the fans of our 10 schools can drive in the snow. And our cities aren't shut down if half an inch falls. Georgetown might be an exception though.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 am

Biggest difference is that the 16 team BE had teams that would cheat... recruiting, not going to class, tampering, handing YMCA jobs out to players, allowing players to sleep with the wife of your assistant coach, paying for strippers and hookers to service recruits.

Of course, Keno Davis checked at least 1 of those boxes.

As far as opponents that i miss... and first let me say that probably none of these teams miss playing PC other than maybe nostaglia from the old guard, and maybe for our great restaurants, easy access to the Dunk, and of course our exceptionally nice and respectful fans.

of the 9 that left, there's probably only 2.5 that i miss:
- UConn, due to being 40 miles away, their championships, our long history, and Calhoun.
- Syracuse, due to our long history, their success, and Boeheim.
- Louisville (half), due to our ties with Pitino. With Pitino gone, the interest drops. It's not like my kids are asking to go watch Peyton Siva run around.

The other 6 that left?
- Notre Dame, ok, maybe. But do i want to watch an offense based on bricking 3 pointers and having big dunces jump over the Friars' backs for tip-ins? Bleh. If Woolridge and Tripucka were still around, then that would be cool.
- West Virginia, no. Just a long time mid-range A-10 team. Kind of like George Washington.

Let me pause a second to remind everyone that Notre Dame was in a 5 year tailspin at the time they joined the Big East. These were the John McLeod years. The Big East saved Irish hoops.

West Virginia in the A-10 was a mid to upper-range A-10 team that hadn't made a Sweet-16 since Jerry West in the early 60's. The Big East allowed them to bring their hoops program to a completely different level. Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

- Rutgers, do not miss them.
- South Florida, do not miss them.

- Cincinnati, solid mid-range team. Sucked first few years. Don't really miss them.
- Pitt, long history, but can't say that i miss them either.

Xavier, Butler, and Creighton... what's not to like about watchibg all 3 teams at the Dunk? Great hoops-first programs.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:40 am

billyjack wrote:Biggest difference is that the 16 team BE had teams that would cheat... recruiting, not going to class, tampering, handing YMCA jobs out to players, allowing players to sleep with the wife of your assistant coach, paying for strippers and hookers to service recruits.

Of course, Keno Davis checked at least 1 of those boxes.

As far as opponents that i miss... and first let me say that probably none of these teams miss playing PC other than maybe nostaglia from the old guard, and maybe for our great restaurants, easy access to the Dunk, and of course our exceptionally nice and respectful fans.

of the 9 that left, there's probably only 2.5 that i miss:
- UConn, due to being 40 miles away, their championships, our long history, and Calhoun.
- Syracuse, due to our long history, their success, and Boeheim.
- Louisville (half), due to our ties with Pitino. With Pitino gone, the interest drops. It's not like my kids are asking to go watch Peyton Siva run around.

The other 6 that left?
- Notre Dame, ok, maybe. But do i want to watch an offense based on bricking 3 pointers and having big dunces jump over the Friars' backs for tip-ins? Bleh. If Woolridge and Tripucka were still around, then that would be cool.
- West Virginia, no. Just a long time mid-range A-10 team. Kind of like George Washington.

Let me pause a second to remind everyone that Notre Dame was in a 5 year tailspin at the time they joined the Big East. These were the John McLeod years. The Big East saved Irish hoops.

West Virginia in the A-10 was a mid to upper-range A-10 team that hadn't made a Sweet-16 since Jerry West in the early 60's. The Big East allowed them to bring their hoops program to a completely different level. Big East membership also allowed them to get Huggins, who i can't imagine would've taken an A-10 job.

- Rutgers, do not miss them.
- South Florida, do not miss them.

- Cincinnati, solid mid-range team. Sucked first few years. Don't really miss them.
- Pitt, long history, but can't say that i miss them either.

Xavier, Butler, and Creighton... what's not to like about watchibg all 3 teams at the Dunk? Great hoops-first programs.

Who's the coach with the wife passed around? and I thought we had issues under Buzz.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board