Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Having Seton Hall semi-comfortably in and Providence nowhere to be seen does appear to be inconsistent logic on his part. I know most on this board would have flipped them (and probably raised PC even higher than he currently has the Hall. Personally, I'd treat them pretty much the same at this point as they're undergoing very similar roster changes.

I think he feels like Myles Powell can step into the PG role a lot better than Ashton-Langford can. Definitely the numbers support that.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby X-man » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:Lunardi has another bracket out http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Gotta say, I think he's usually more biased for the ACC rather than against the Big East.

Nova - 1
Butler - 5
Xavier - 8
Seton Hall - 10
Marquette - 12
Creighton - 7th team out

No mention of Providence is a head scratcher, and I think with their grad transfer, Marquette is a top 25 team. But he seems to be higher on Butler and Seton Hall than most of us.

Butler as a 5 seed would be 17-20. I know I've seen some polls with Butler being like 22 or 23 this week(the ESPN one had them at #24), so not exactly that much of a difference....

I'm thinking for Marquette he may have turned it in prior to them getting the grad transfer...

Providence I think a lot of folks would have them outside things right now. They lost 3 guys who played between 78-82% of the minutes vs tier 1 teams last year. Holt sat out this past year. And it's not like they were all that comfortably in the tourney this year- it took going 3-1 last 4 games to get in quite frankly. It's not outrageous by any stretch to see them not in right now. Now, do I think they'll be in? Yeah, I think Cooley's a great coach. But, I think it's pretty understandable.

Yet Lunardi give UC a 6-seed. They lose 50% of their scoring and rebounding, plus 3 of the top 4 minutes played guys. I totally see your logic on Lunardi, stever. No wonder you have a love of Lunardi.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 pm

X-man wrote:
Yet Lunardi give UC a 6-seed. They lose 50% of their scoring and rebounding, plus 3 of the top 4 minutes played guys. I totally see your logic on Lunardi, stever. No wonder you have a love of Lunardi.

Cincy was a 2 seed this year. So they can have a drop off and still make it..

Also, Cincy could still get Evans back, as he's not hired an agent. Don't think he's reflected that in there yet.

Also look at the returning percentage of minutes guys...
For Cincy- their top 3 guys back played 72.3, 48.9, 48.5. All 3 are guards.
For PC- their top 3 guys back played 69.0, 49.8, and 40.8. None of those are guards.

Cincy still has a good backcourt coming back next year. Providence's backcourt a lot more questions.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am

stever20 wrote:
X-man wrote:

Also, Cincy could still get Evans back, as he's not hired an agent. Don't think he's reflected that in there yet.

For PC- their top 3 guys back played 69.0, 49.8, and 40.8. None of those are guards.

Cincy still has a good backcourt coming back next year. Providence's backcourt a lot more questions.

Diallo, their best player IMO is a big guard / wing. ALso no mention that PC is bringing in a Top 20 recruiting class, with 2 stud guards and Cincy’s Class is currently 77th, behind BB powerhouses like Old Dominion and Rice? Of course not...lots of cherries yet to pick in the Stever orchard.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:29 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Diallo, their best player IMO is a big guard / wing. ALso no mention that PC is bringing in a Top 20 recruiting class, with 2 stud guards and Cincy’s Class is currently 77th, behind BB powerhouses like Old Dominion and Rice? Of course not...lots of cherries yet to pick in the Stever orchard.

don't you always say experience matters? Cincy has back 3 true guards who played at least 48.5% of the games. 2 are seniors and other is a junior. Also while Cincy only is 77 in HS recruiting, they did just on Saturday pick up a JUCO 1st team All American guard. If Cincy were to get Evans back, this could be a better team quite frankly than last year.
stever20

Postby X-man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:
X-man wrote:

stever will never get it. His posts are consistently and blatantly pro-AAAAAAACCCC and anti-Big East. It's clear to all of us, so he should stop pretending. He's like a little child who thinks that when he closes his eyes, no one can see him.
X-man

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 pm

X-man wrote:stever will never get it. His posts are consistently and blatantly pro-AAAAAAACCCC and anti-Big East. It's clear to all of us, so he should stop pretending. He's like a little child who thinks that when he closes his eyes, no one can see him.

Well, Stever just managed to poke Frank out on the other board, so now he's arguing about ratings (AAC v. BE). Entertaining stuff.

I truly respect Stever for the time commitment he has in posting and stat accumulation. My biggest question is why he doesn't go on the AAC boards and say the same things. They would eat that stuff up over there.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm

stever20 wrote:
X-man wrote:

I’m sorry, Stever, but this is badly lacking as a way of analyzing a team’s prospects going forward.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 pm

I think the problem for Cincy next year may be SOS. Hope they scheduled OOC well. The AAC is going to be DOWN next year. WSU, one of their signature programs, is going to take a big step back. I would imagine UH will too with the loss of their talented PG. Maybe someone will surprise.

But Lunardi might be right. There may not be more than 3-4 losses on that schedule. It won't mean they are necessary deserving but 25+ wins going into the tourney will probably mean a top 4 seed for Cincy. Hopefully Cincy can make the 2nd weekend this year. It has been 7 years since that has happened.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby X-man » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:53 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think the problem for Cincy next year may be SOS. Hope they scheduled OOC well. The AAC is going to be DOWN next year. WSU, one of their signature programs, is going to take a big step back. I would imagine UH will too with the loss of their talented PG. Maybe someone will surprise.

But Lunardi might be right. There may not be more than 3-4 losses on that schedule. It won't mean they are necessary deserving but 25+ wins going into the tourney will probably mean a top 4 seed for Cincy. Hopefully Cincy can make the 2nd weekend this year. It has been 7 years since that has happened.

Another problem is that Cincy just isn't going to be very good next year given their losses to graduation and the draft. Their incoming recruiting class is frankly pretty underwhelming, and they are losing scoring, rebounding, and the heart and soul of the team. And BTW before you jump all over me and say the same thing could be said about Xavier next season, let me say right now that I agree with you. I will be very surprised if the Muskies finish in the top half of the league next season, and would not be surprised at all if they are NIT material next year.
X-man

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board