Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:36 pm

X-man wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think the problem for Cincy next year may be SOS. Hope they scheduled OOC well. The AAC is going to be DOWN next year. WSU, one of their signature programs, is going to take a big step back. I would imagine UH will too with the loss of their talented PG. Maybe someone will surprise.

But Lunardi might be right. There may not be more than 3-4 losses on that schedule. It won't mean they are necessary deserving but 25+ wins going into the tourney will probably mean a top 4 seed for Cincy. Hopefully Cincy can make the 2nd weekend this year. It has been 7 years since that has happened.

Another problem is that Cincy just isn't going to be very good next year given their losses to graduation and the draft. Their incoming recruiting class is frankly pretty underwhelming, and they are losing scoring, rebounding, and the heart and soul of the team. And BTW before you jump all over me and say the same thing could be said about Xavier next season, let me say right now that I agree with you. I will be very surprised if the Muskies finish in the top half of the league next season, and would not be surprised at all if they are NIT material next year.

I think the big thing for them may be if Evans came back. They'd have some losses, but they would return quite a lot- like 3 starters plus everyone from the bench. Plus getting a JUCO All-American.

I think for the AAC- it'll be interesting to see if UCF with everyone healthy takes that major step up. If so, that's a big plus for them. Plus Memphis is going to be a lot better I think. Might see more separation from top 4 teams in the AAC compared to the rest of the conference. And with a known bottom tier, the league can schedule around that to avoid the SOS killing.

And yes, it'll be fascinating with Wichita. it felt like this years team just never got it going quite frankly.... Their worst defensive team in a decade. Just seemed from watching from afar like something was wrong all year long. It'll be really interesting to watch and see how they fare next season quite frankly.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:23 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think the problem for Cincy next year may be SOS. Hope they scheduled OOC well. The AAC is going to be DOWN next year. WSU, one of their signature programs, is going to take a big step back. I would imagine UH will too with the loss of their talented PG. Maybe someone will surprise.

But Lunardi might be right. There may not be more than 3-4 losses on that schedule. It won't mean they are necessary deserving but 25+ wins going into the tourney will probably mean a top 4 seed for Cincy. Hopefully Cincy can make the 2nd weekend this year. It has been 7 years since that has happened.

To their credit for the first time in a long time they actually have a very good non conference schedule. Mississippi State and UCLA are both likely top 25 teams then Xavier and OSU. But to think they’re going to be as good of team as Stever is pointing out is interesting. Their starting point guard is Justin Jenifer who would be considered the worst starting point guard in the Big East. Broome is a good player and Cumberland is a stud. Scott and Brooks are mediocre as bigs. The idea they’re thought of as a top 6 seed in surprising. They could exceed my expectations but without Evans Stever is just too high on that team.
XU
JohnW22

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 pm

JohnW22 wrote:

To their credit for the first time in a long time they actually have a very good non conference schedule. Mississippi State and UCLA are both likely top 25 teams then Xavier and OSU. But to think they’re going to be as good of team as Stever is pointing out is interesting. Their starting point guard is Justin Jenifer who would be considered the worst starting point guard in the Big East. Broome is a good player and Cumberland is a stud. Scott and Brooks are mediocre as bigs. The idea they’re thought of as a top 6 seed in surprising. They could exceed my expectations but without Evans Stever is just too high on that team.

Think about this though. 6 seed would be a low end top 25 team. That's pretty reasonable with what they have back plus their situation. If Evans came back, they would be a top 15 type of team with only 2 losses, only 1 of which is a big loss.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Enough AAC already.

Fellas... It's me gtmoBlue...I have to apologize to all of you. I've lied and been dishonest! My conscience is kicking me in the rear and I can't go on like this any longer. I have deceived all of you and I must confess-clear my conscience. :oops: :cry:

...Ahem, I don't believe, in my heart of hearts that Villanova will win the conference next season. Nor Providence, nor Marquette. I have been saying those politically correct statements and putting up Prov #1 polls and all, but I have deceived you all. I am only a team player for Creighton. I have been fronting as a Big East homer, and to my shame, I am not.

Creighton will win the Big East next season. Regardless of your esteemed opinions and information, my Jays will land a couple of grad transfers to go along with our fine returnees and kick BEast butts next season. My guys are all healthy again, we've got the Number 34 class coming in with some very underappreciated talent in Zegarowski, Chris Bishop and Aussie Sam Froling to augment my returning crew. Ty-Shon and Mitch are destined to make the Sophomore leap and Epperson is continuing to add skill and weight. Krampelj is once again healthy! I figure we'll pick up Joe Cremo and Matt Mooney - 2 grad transfer shooters and roll on. Go Jays! It's our time to win the Champìonships! Go Big Blue(jays)! :o

Please forgive my deceitfulness and the dishonesty of my previous kumbaya-ness. I am closer to Khrushchev (We will bury u) than Ghandi (love everybody). Krispy Kremes for erobody. ;)

I feel much better now. Thanks for letting me share!
gtmo

Go Jays!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 am

images.jpeg
This man sees you GTMO...

gtmoBlue wrote:Enough AAC already.

Fellas... It's me gtmoBlue...I have to apologize to all of you. I've lied and been dishonest! My conscience is kicking me in the rear and I can't go on like this any longer. I have deceived all of you and I must confess-clear my conscience. :oops: :cry:

...Ahem, I don't believe, in my heart of hearts that Villanova will win the conference next season. Nor Providence, nor Marquette. I have been saying those politically correct statements and putting up Prov #1 polls and all, but I have deceived you all. I am only a team player for Creighton. I have been fronting as a Big East homer, and to my shame, I am not.

Creighton will win the Big East next season. Regardless of your esteemed opinions and information, my Jays will land a couple of grad transfers to go along with our fine returnees and kick BEast butts next season. My guys are all healthy again, we've got the Number 34 class coming in with some very underappreciated talent in Zegarowski, Chris Bishop and Aussie Sam Froling to augment my returning crew. Ty-Shon and Mitch are destined to make the Sophomore leap and Epperson is continuing to add skill and weight. Krampelj is once again healthy! I figure we'll pick up Joe Cremo and Matt Mooney - 2 grad transfer shooters and roll on. Go Jays! It's our time to win the Champìonships! Go Big Blue(jays)! :o

Please forgive my deceitfulness and the dishonesty of my previous kumbaya-ness. I am closer to Khrushchev (We will bury u) than Ghandi (love everybody). Krispy Kremes for erobody. ;)

gtmo

Go Jays!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Novachap

Postby MUBoxer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:04 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Enough AAC already.

gtmo

Go Jays!

A big east team thinking a guy named Frolling is going be what brings it all together, where have I heard that before.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby gosports1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 am

Lunardi as 12 from ACC. 12? Really? What record would a 12th place ACC team have in conference? Does he expect Duke UNC and UVA to lose multiple times to the other 9?
gosports1

Postby stever20 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 pm

gosports1 wrote:Lunardi as 12 from ACC. 12? Really? What record would a 12th place ACC team have in conference? Does he expect Duke UNC and UVA to lose multiple times to the other 9?

12th place team in ACC has finished as good as 8-10 in conference play. So team with that record definitely is in play for a NCAA spot.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:

gtmo

Go Jays!

You might want to wait until after seeing the final rosters heading into next year. I can tell you, without any fear of being over-confident, that if both Spellman and Donte' D. return than no amount of Crispy Cremes are going to save you and your Jays. A new McD's AA PG replaces our old one, DD slides right into Bridges' spot and then we've got at least (4) 4 star players coming off the bench. My prediction: PAIN!
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 pm

As usual, all very good points Gumby. Wouldn't be much fun if ALL your guys went pro, and next season should be great fun!
I'm gonna have to pay extra as Nova ain't in the normal delivery radius. Villanova/Radnor, God bless um...always making problems for (Festivus) for the restivus, as per normal. The additional costs will be worth it to see Jay and Eric gain a few pounds. :lol: ;)

Funny thing about expectations I've found...we don't always get what we want. Even with Spellman and Donte returning there will be issues. The machine has new parts. Do all the parts mesh and run smoothly? Are there hitches, misses, glitches, grinding in the works? Guys will be taking on new roles, some greater roles. Can they live up to the expectations? Are they able to handle greater responsibilities? Will a leader emerge? Will there be inconsistencies in play and in building team chemistry? Nova has lost a ton of leadership and consistency in Bridges and Brunson, and while talent will be there, talent alone is not enough. Talent may be there but can they become a team? Quinerly ain't Jalen Brunson! He's a Frosh who will be mistake prone as he attempts to learn to play Nova Ball. Can Nova continue to ride 5-7 iron horses for success? Nova will have a dropoff back to being a Good team - rather than continue as a Great team. That dropoff is enough for Creighton and others to catch and eclipse the Radnorites. The 5 year run is over - so much for a die-nasty. Good luck to Nova. ;) Just a dash of reality for your perusal.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board