Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby stever20 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:11 am

1 thing that may impact some draft decisions this year along with possibly seeing a lot more guys reclassifying into the 2018 class from high school that would have been 2019's- the NBA 1 and done rule. Some talk that would start in 2020 where the 2020 draft would be the first one with the new rules. So it would make sense that we would see a lot of guys who are normallly 2019's going into the 2018 class so they could start in the NBA in 2019- Rather than waiting until 2019 to enter where they could go in 2020 still(but then have to compete with the 2020 HS seniors). I could see guys going into the NBA this year who may have normally waited to avoid those extra guys as well.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby X-man » Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm

stever20 wrote:
X-man wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think the problem for Cincy next year may be SOS. Hope they scheduled OOC well. The AAC is going to be DOWN next year. WSU, one of their signature programs, is going to take a big step back. I would imagine UH will too with the loss of their talented PG. Maybe someone will surprise.

But Lunardi might be right. There may not be more than 3-4 losses on that schedule. It won't mean they are necessary deserving but 25+ wins going into the tourney will probably mean a top 4 seed for Cincy. Hopefully Cincy can make the 2nd weekend this year. It has been 7 years since that has happened.

Another problem is that Cincy just isn't going to be very good next year given their losses to graduation and the draft. Their incoming recruiting class is frankly pretty underwhelming, and they are losing scoring, rebounding, and the heart and soul of the team. And BTW before you jump all over me and say the same thing could be said about Xavier next season, let me say right now that I agree with you. I will be very surprised if the Muskies finish in the top half of the league next season, and would not be surprised at all if they are NIT material next year.

I think the big thing for them may be if Evans came back. They'd have some losses, but they would return quite a lot- like 3 starters plus everyone from the bench. Plus getting a JUCO All-American.

I think for the AAC- it'll be interesting to see if UCF with everyone healthy takes that major step up. If so, that's a big plus for them. Plus Memphis is going to be a lot better I think. Might see more separation from top 4 teams in the AAC compared to the rest of the conference. And with a known bottom tier, the league can schedule around that to avoid the SOS killing.

And yes,it'll be fascinating with Wichita. it felt like this years team just never got it going quite frankly.... Their worst defensive team in a decade. Just seemed from watching from afar like something was wrong all year long. It'll be really interesting to watch and see how they fare next season quite frankly.

stever, you just don't get it. This is a Big East board, not the board for your beloved AAAAAACCCCC. So while you may be "interested" about UCF (WTF???), Memphis, and WSU, very few posters to this board share your interest. Your posts, with their biased "analyses" (see forecasting next year's BE team chances assuming that they lose everyone both graduating and declaring for the draft, while talking about uc's team next season assuming that Evans comes back). Christ, your posts get old.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby Xudash » Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm

With nothing on TV last night and some time to kill, I pulled up the Xavier/UC game from this past season.

We blew them off the floor. Again. 8 out of the last 11 now, or something like that.

Fun game to watch, especially as the cameras panned over to the UC bench area. You could see YTG's father with a look on his face that made it seem as though he had just been forced to swallow a gallon of apple cider vinegar. As the commentators noted, UC hadn't played anyone of any consequence to that point in their season. So, these poor idiots show up to the Cintas Center and run into a buzz saw.

Best of all was the technical that YTG picked up late in the first half with - AND I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP - 2 seconds left on the shot clock for Xavier. Double technical fouls on JP and a UC player, but little MIcky's antics got him tee'd up, and that led to foul shots and ball out for X.

Thank you Stever for bringing up the ineptitude that is the UC Borecats basketball program.

That fan base went from Big East membership and hopes of snagging a P5 invite to relegation to the AAAAAAAAAAC and mid-major cash flow problems.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Wed May 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Really, we're talking about Cincinnati? lol

I will say that kenpom really loves dominant teams in weaker conferences. Cinci last year, Wichita 2 years ago, Gonzaga in a lot of years, etc. The Bearcats were in no shape or form a 2 seed last year, so "falling" from 2 to 6 angle has no merit.
supernova
kayako

Postby Friarsfan94 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm

kayako wrote:Really, we're talking about Cincinnati? lol

I will say that kenpom really loves dominant teams in weaker conferences. Cinci last year, Wichita 2 years ago, Gonzaga in a lot of years, etc. The Bearcats were in no shape or form a 2 seed last year, so "falling" from 2 to 6 angle has no merit.

To put this in Stever terms, Cincy, being a 2 seed, means they were one of the 8 best teams in college basketball. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good joke.
Friarsfan94

Postby billyjack » Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

Every time a post here mentions the AAC, we should follow with two posts about the America East.

Also, it's "fascinating to read the word "interesting" alongside UCF's name, and "fascinating" with Wichita.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am

- I think it's gonna be fascinating in the America East next year, watching how UMBC builds on their win over Virginia. Will their success go to their heads?

- You just know that Binghamton will be better.

- And it's gonna be hypnotic to see how Maine fares after hiring their former women's coach.

- Bryant, wow, captivating to imagine the gamellan going forward as their storied program builds on just-retired Coach O'Shea's long-tenured success.

- And really really mesmerizing to follow Vermont's non-conference schedule, especially if they pencil in another Big East opponent or two this year.

- New Hampshire... this could be the year that the Wildcats finally make the dance... "i am standing on the pins and the needles".

Of course, for those half paying attention, Bryant is in the NEC.
:D
Providence
billyjack

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu May 03, 2018 10:29 am

billyjack wrote:Also, it's "fascinating to read the word "interesting" alongside UCF's name, and "fascinating" with Wichita.

Only thing fascinating about UCF is the fact that, with a student body of 66,000, they can't find 12 that are really good at basketball. And what's really fascinating about Wichita is nothing.

billyjack wrote:-
Of course, for those half paying attention, Bryant is in the NEC.
:D

Kobe is in the NEC?
Savannah Jay

Postby FriarJ » Thu May 03, 2018 1:17 pm

This is a VERY big deal for next years Friars squad

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
3m3 minutes ago
More
Providence's Emmitt Holt (abdomen) has been fully cleared and is participating in spring workouts, per a school spokesman. Missed all of last season. #pcbb
FriarJ

Postby Friarsfan94 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Huge news indeed, FriarJ. Emmitt was arguably PC's best player coming into last season and they had to play an entire year without him. Not to put unreal expectations on the man, but the fact that he has been fully cleared for workouts and full contact 5 months before the season leads me to believe he'll be able to work off some of the rust earlier than expected. Previously, there was still no word on what Emmitt's situation was currently, and rumors he may never play again. This was extremely pleasant news to hear, as there is just no more cloud over the situation. There's no undisclosed health issue keeping him out for an unknown period of time, leading to rumors flying around, just a kid we can expect in our lineup at the start of next season; and with 5 months preparation and previous experience as one of our leaders, an expected cog in our lineup.
Friarsfan94

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board