Tourney Shares

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tourney Shares

Postby Xudash » Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Xudash wrote:
Xavier. That was the early consensus back then. Marquette and Xavier were thought to be the choices. Of course, Mike Transgreasy didn't want to hurt his inept protege - Linda Bruno - and he didn't want to raid more than one conference like Swofford and the ACC were doing back then.

It wasn't about UC having some kind of veto.

And none of that matters anymore anyway.

Interesting. I was just starting high school so I don't remember it all that well do you have any old articles etc that might help me find out more?

https://nypost.com/2003/07/02/big-east-leans-on-hoops/

What's fun about that article to me is how the Basketball-centric emphasis was present then like it is now.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun May 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Nice article and some historic perspective as well. The NBE started in 2003? That's an eye opener. Good thing the current version is merely the Big East.
Wouldn't want the public to get confused. :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 am

When the Big East reformed in 2013, and we added Butler, Creighton and Xavier, the conference publicly proclaimed that the league was a return to the vision of Dave Gavitt; a group of schools in major cities bonded together on the pursuit and priority of elite men's basketball. The institutional-fit of all schools (Catholic/Private) was icing on the cake. In recents weeks, and in public response, both the DePaul President and Athletic Director have basically argued against that belief - as they have said, in defending their athletic program blunders and leaders in charge, that their athletic department is not, in fact, driven by men's basketball, and that it is defined by all of its sports. The President, ironically the former President at Seton Hall, even was quoted as saying, "pushing men’s basketball will 'diminish the success' of other sports at DePaul".

Why is this important? Because we have nine universities and athletic programs that are united in mission and objective, with one school program that is content and complacent with finishing in the bottom of the conference year-in and year-out. Add insult to injury? Their men's basketball program, which has contributed absolutely nothing to the conference since joining, is currently under investigation by the NCAA (a distinction, I believe, has not occurred by any other member since reorganizing).

Even though Temple got kicked out of Big East Football for similar results on the field, it is safe to say the same will never happen to DePaul for various reasons. However, the Chicago market is very important to this conference and its future growth moving forward. Loyola's run this past season had great support from in the city and nationwide, and they very much appear to be on the path of sustained success at the top of the MVC moving forward. What happens if they get another run in March (and DePaul continues to finish in last place)? What if it happens multiple years in a row? The fact remains that there is a program in Chicago that is positioning itself to not only be the top Jesuit/Catholic men's basketball program in the city, but also the best basketball program in the city. DePaul should not only being trying to right their ship due to what our conference mission is, but also because there is competition for their spot within their own area. From public comments from their leadership downplaying Loyola's run (and even their respective conference affiliation), I'd wager that they do not feel any pressure whatsoever to try and succeed (which is unfortunate for our conference, not just fans of DePaul).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Mon May 07, 2018 9:50 am

I believe every word you wrote, I just can't believe DePaul would be this stupid.

We had this problem in the A10 with Fordham. It isn't pretty. In fact, member unalignment is one of the most infuriating, potentially damaging things that can happen to a conference.

I was hoping the new venue was dusting the cobwebs out of their brains up there. Not only is it amazing to take such a stance - "all sports matter (and we have a full budget for participation trophies for everyone") - but it is absolutely stunning that they would take such a stance after having made such a major capital investment in a new facility.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NJRedman » Mon May 07, 2018 12:01 pm

DePaul picking up their conference payout from the Big East offices.

NJRedman

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board