Tourney Shares

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tourney Shares

Postby MUBoxer » Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Letsgonova wrote:In the old BE, I believe it was 50% to the team who earned the share and 50% to the league. Not sure if that carried forward to this iteration.

DePaul just STEALING money. JLP should be sending Jay Wright a Christmas card, at least.

DePaul has been stealing money since 2005.

Not only have they never won a game in the tournament while in the Big East, they have never made the tournament in the Big East. The worst part of it all is that the school and administration are as happy as kids on Christmas morning. They feel like they have an amazing athletic program, with high-character student-athletes and coaches, and are not defined by men's basketball. They feel like they are "close" to being a contender in the Big East, which is ironic since when DL was hired it was directly said that DePaul was not "rebuilding". At least their Twitter page made infamous headlines weeks ago for using the skyline of New York City as its background; that at least made news.

If DePaul was not located in Chicago, they would not be in the Big East. They have provided the conference nothing since joining, and the steadfast defiance in defending bad decision after bad decision is a shame. For years, it was said the reason DePaul was at the bottom of the Big East was because of Allstate Arena (even though they became a national power playing in Rosemont). Well, they now have a sparkling new arena (that they couldn't get crowds to), and they still aren't recruiting very well. I wonder what the next excuse will be.

While I am all for Depaul hate and really think they are stealing money there are two things to remember, first who else was going to be picked in 2005? We were an attractive candidate because of the recent Wade success and because we were having another great season in 05 (before Diener went down) and then who else? Depaul wasn't great but had made the postseason 8/14 years so they were at least a stable safe bet that they at least would be occasionally competitive. So I'd argue they'd still be in the Big east. Secondly, they had a brief blip in 2007 where it looked like they could turn it around so it's not impossible to field a competitive team despite their incompetence. Honestly I think DL should just do what Norm Roberts did at SJU for 2011 where literally the entire roster was seniors, at least then there'd be some excitement for the school every once an awhile.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mpwalsh8 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:33 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Letsgonova wrote:In the old BE, I believe it was 50% to the team who earned the share and 50% to the league. Not sure if that carried forward to this iteration.

DePaul just STEALING money. JLP should be sending Jay Wright a Christmas card, at least.

Not only have they never won a game in the tournament while in the Big East, they have never made the tournament in the Big East. The worst part of it all is that the school and administration are as happy as kids on Christmas morning. They feel like they have an amazing athletic program, with high-character student-athletes and coaches, and are not defined by men's basketball. They feel like they are "close" to being a contender in the Big East, which is ironic since when DL was hired it was directly said that DePaul was not "rebuilding". At least their Twitter page made infamous headlines weeks ago for using the skyline of New York City as its background; that at least made news.

If DePaul was not located in Chicago, they would not be in the Big East. They have provided the conference nothing since joining, and the steadfast defiance in defending bad decision after bad decision is a shame. For years, it was said the reason DePaul was at the bottom of the Big East was because of Allstate Arena (even though they became a national power playing in Rosemont). Well, they now have a sparkling new arena (that they couldn't get crowds to), and they still aren't recruiting very well. I wonder what the next excuse will be.

Unless you are a Depaul graduate or fan, why are you worried about another team's performance? Some team has to be at the bottom of the standings. Every team in the league can't be good. DePaul has volunteered to take one for the team in so many words and seem to be happy with their position at the bottom of the standings. I know I don't want DePaul improving at Villanova's expense and I suspect no one else here wants DePaul to improve at their team's expense either. For every game DePaul improves, another team's performance suffers.

Every single conference has a couple teams who are always languishing in the cellar and there is nothing wrong with that. It is a zero sum game. Unless you are volunteering Marquette swap places with DePaul (which would piss off half my family who are all MU grads), why do you care?

Now I want DePaul, like every other Big East team, to win every single out of conference game they play. In conference - I don't care if they lose every game.
mpwalsh8

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Bravo Mr. Walsh, bravo.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Fri May 04, 2018 5:14 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

Unless you are a Depaul graduate or fan, why are you worried about another team's performance? Some team has to be at the bottom of the standings. Every team in the league can't be good. DePaul has volunteered to take one for the team in so many words and seem to be happy with their position at the bottom of the standings. I know I don't want DePaul improving at Villanova's expense and I suspect no one else here wants DePaul to improve at their team's expense either. For every game DePaul improves, another team's performance suffers.

Every single conference has a couple teams who are always languishing in the cellar and there is nothing wrong with that. It is a zero sum game. Unless you are volunteering Marquette swap places with DePaul (which would piss off half my family who are all MU grads), why do you care?

Now I want DePaul, like every other Big East team, to win every single out of conference game they play. In conference - I don't care if they lose every game.

Yes, someone always has to finish last but it's not good when it's the same damn team every single year! It makes that team dregs instead of an asset. Thank god they are in Chicago, if they were in Cincy, Indy, Providence or Omaha they would be an albatross around our necks.

BTW here is DePaul picking up it's NCAA tourny check.

NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

While I am all for Depaul hate and really think they are stealing money there are two things to remember, first who else was going to be picked in 2005? We were an attractive candidate because of the recent Wade success and because we were having another great season in 05 (before Diener went down) and then who else? Depaul wasn't great but had made the postseason 8/14 years so they were at least a stable safe bet that they at least would be occasionally competitive. So I'd argue they'd still be in the Big east. Secondly, they had a brief blip in 2007 where it looked like they could turn it around so it's not impossible to field a competitive team despite their incompetence. Honestly I think DL should just do what Norm Roberts did at SJU for 2011 where literally the entire roster was seniors, at least then there'd be some excitement for the school every once an awhile.

Xavier. That was the early consensus back then. Marquette and Xavier were thought to be the choices. Of course, Mike Transgreasy didn't want to hurt his inept protege - Linda Bruno - and he didn't want to raid more than one conference like Swofford and the ACC were doing back then.

It wasn't about UC having some kind of veto.

And none of that matters anymore anyway.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MUBoxer » Sat May 05, 2018 3:36 am

mpwalsh8 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

I think many Marquette fans want them to be better so we have a legit rivalry in this conference. In the old conference we had Norte dame, which was a guaranteed sell out game every year and extremely exciting. Now we have no natural geographic rival with a continuing historical series outside of Depaul.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MUBoxer » Sat May 05, 2018 3:40 am

Xudash wrote:
Xavier. That was the early consensus back then. Marquette and Xavier were thought to be the choices. Of course, Mike Transgreasy didn't want to hurt his inept protege - Linda Bruno - and he didn't want to raid more than one conference like Swofford and the ACC were doing back then.

It wasn't about UC having some kind of veto.

And none of that matters anymore anyway.

Interesting. I was just starting high school so I don't remember it all that well do you have any old articles etc that might help me find out more?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby trephin » Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am

NJRedman wrote:Yes, someone always has to finish last but it's not good when it's the same damn team every single year! It makes that team dregs instead of an asset. Thank god they are in Chicago, if they were in Cincy, Indy, Providence or Omaha they would be an albatross around our necks.

what difference does it make if it's the same team? how does that drag down the conference?

DePaul OOC record in the Big East is 98-91 since 2005 and 35-34 since 2013. Maybe not exactly the OOC performance targeted by JPSchmack but combined with their market do you not think Depaul is an asset or at least neutral contributor to the conference?
trephin

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat May 05, 2018 2:43 pm

DePaul IS an asset...helping to insure that 5-7 others make the dance. The other 8 of you can rotate in to assist DePaul any time now. I have no issues with your helping out DePaul.
Creighton will not be volunteering for dregs duty. Thank you for listening.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MUBoxer » Sat May 05, 2018 6:04 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:DePaul IS an asset...helping to insure that 5-7 others make the dance. The other 8 of you can rotate in to assist DePaul any time now. I have no issues with your helping out DePaul.
Creighton will not be volunteering for dregs duty. Thank you for listening.

Depaul likely kept MU out of the tournament this year and at least out of the NIT in 2016. They are not an assist they are a hinderence... at least for us in the three year middling rebuild.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board