Villanova - 2018 National Champions

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Villanova - 2018 National Champions

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks everybody for the kind words. It feels good to represent the Big East and let the rest of the country know that this conference can ball.

Special thanks to my gtmoBlue. I saw you give me a shout out in the Final Four - Villanova vs Kansas thread. We couldn't have done it with you! Creighton is gonna be cutting down the nets one of these days and I'll be rooting like crazy!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Screw this Nova Love fest! I hate you SOBs! Just Kiddin', but watching them red shirt great players is annoying and brilliant at the same time! (Love the result and hope it shifts the NCAA's standard on players!) Send one and done to the G league and get scholar athletes! Get a year to mold great talent that wasn't ready for prime time, but still lock them in and have them in the program is brilliant! Need a ton of buy-in for it to work... I hope that we get a few teams in the Big East able to work this great angle to make monster teams! 8-)
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby kayako » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 pm

kmacker69 wrote:watching them red shirt great players is annoying and brilliant at the same time!

Only Bridges was strategically redshirted.

Paschall - transfer
DiVincenzo - broke his foot early in his FR year
Spellman - ruled ineligible
Booth - knee injury
Delaney - hip surgery
Painter - not injured but he actually wanted to redshirt to get a 5 year degree
supernova
kayako

Postby BEhomer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 pm

kayako wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:watching them red shirt great players is annoying and brilliant at the same time!

Paschall - transfer
Booth - knee injury
Delaney - hip surgery

I knew about Spellman, Paschall and Delaney. Didn't know others had those situations. i think it hurts your recruiting if you're known as a program that redshirts players. all thru NC coverages, I hear ppl talk about how Nova players wait their turns and willing to sit out etc. while they may be saying those things as compliment, it can't be very enticing for high school prospects.
BEhomer

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:19 pm

kayako wrote:

Paschall - transfer
Booth - knee injury
Delaney - hip surgery

I knew a few were injured, but that explains why there are so many... :o
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby DeltaV » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:58 pm

BEhomer wrote:
kayako wrote:

Paschall - transfer
Booth - knee injury
Delaney - hip surgery

I knew about Spellman, Paschall and Delaney. Didn't know others had those situations. i think it hurts your recruiting if you're known as a program that redshirts players. all thru NC coverages, I hear ppl talk about how Nova players wait their turns and willing to sit out etc. while they may be saying those things as compliment, it can't be very enticing for high school prospects.

I think that is kinda the point of Jay's recruiting though; he only goes after the kids who are willing to dedicate time to the system. No 5 star one and dones, but quality kids who want to learn.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby kayako » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 pm

BEhomer wrote:I knew about Spellman, Paschall and Delaney. Didn't know others had those situations. i think it hurts your recruiting if you're known as a program that redshirts players. all thru NC coverages, I hear ppl talk about how Nova players wait their turns and willing to sit out etc. while they may be saying those things as compliment, it can't be very enticing for high school prospects.

Yeah, it's potentially negative recruiting material, but not too worried about it. I am pretty sure Jay doesn't make empty promises. This is an interesting piece on Brandon Slater https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rec ... 390acd316e

Wright hasn’t talked to Slater much about his role with the Wildcats headed into next season, but Slater said Wright planned on giving him a full rundown once the college season was over.

This is a top 50 kid and it sounds like Wright didn't make unrealistic promises.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am

kmacker69 wrote:Screw this Nova Love fest! I hate you SOBs! Just Kiddin', but watching them red shirt great players is annoying and brilliant at the same time! (Love the result and hope it shifts the NCAA's standard on players!) Send one and done to the G league and get scholar athletes! Get a year to mold great talent that wasn't ready for prime time, but still lock them in and have them in the program is brilliant! Need a ton of buy-in for it to work... I hope that we get a few teams in the Big East able to work this great angle to make monster teams! 8-)

Creighton IMHO redshirts a lot - too much for my suiting - and it is not a guarantee that it all works out for the best. I agree with BEHomer that the RS practice potentially hurts programs and is used against them. Working on the scout team is not a guarantee that "development" takes place, or that a kid will gain weight, or learn the system, or progress as hoped. I believe medical redshirting is the only legit use of the practice. Transfers have a mandatory sit out year and is not really redshirting. I'd rather be known as Transfer U than Redshirt U. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Vill » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks to all of the Big East family for their support. It's great being a part of this league.
Vill

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:49 am

Didn't get a chance to post this earlier since I've been away more, but congrats to Villanova. You guys are such an asset. Everything is done the right way, great guys, impossible not to root for. I was watching down in Florida and it seemed to be a pro-Nova crowd too! Just a phenomenal run demolishing very good teams en route to another ring.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board