Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Jet915 wrote:Stupid move IMO, Louisville and their athletic department are the epitome of what is wrong with college sports, I hope the school gets sanctioned hard and that Mack fails...

Agree. Cesspool program.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm

billyjack wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Stupid move IMO, Louisville and their athletic department are the epitome of what is wrong with college sports, I hope the school gets sanctioned hard and that Mack fails...

Agree. Cesspool program.

Him leaving for Louisville, of all schools, is especially painful. They're about as dirty as they come. I'm also stunned that the deal is only for 4M/year. Xavier offered him 3+.
nickpapagiorgio

Postby sju88grad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm really disappointed to hear Mack is leaving.....especially to hear he is leaving for a corrupt ACC program.....I have no doubt that Xavier will make a great hire....I just don't understand how a Xavier alum would want to leave his alma mater for a program that is so dirty......(i get it - it's more cash but still....)......feel bad for Xavier fans but I'm sure they won't miss a beat.....
sju88grad

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:55 pm

I may be in the minority, but I still root for Buzz at Virginia Tech, have rooted for Crean at Indiana and O'Neill at any plethora of teams/programs he coached at after Marquette, and will root for Crean at Georgia. I view their post-Marquette success as the ability of our program to hire excellent coaches to lead our programs. No one can coach at one program forever. Gone are the days where coaches stay at one school for 20 years. It is just a reality. I'll root for Mack at UL.

The next Xavier coach may very well be more successful than Mack. It opens up growth and development opportunities for the school.

I know it stings having your coach poached, so to speak, but Xavier will continue to be successful.

Anyways, it sounds like Steele may be getting the nod. That would be fantastic.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm

sju88grad wrote:I'm really disappointed to hear Mack is leaving.....especially to hear he is leaving for a corrupt ACC program.....I have no doubt that Xavier will make a great hire....I just don't understand how a Xavier alum would want to leave his alma mater for a program that is so dirty......(i get it - it's more cash but still....)......feel bad for Xavier fans but I'm sure they won't miss a beat.....

It really doesn't make sense to me either. Besides the money part which is obvious.

But Mack is at an elite program, his alma mater, a great city and great conference. A passionate and loyal fanbase. What more can you ask? If he stays @ Xavier he will continue to win

But he wants to head to the ACC in a conference where Duke/UNC own the top of the conference to a program that is involved in all sorts of scandals. To a poor academic institution that has lost the respect of everyone. it's a shame to lose such a great coach and to that type of program

The Big East needs to find a way to retain these guys. We need more Jay Wrights in this conference. Xavier should be doing everything possible to keep this guy. Shower him with the cash if necessary.

Until its not official I remain hopeful that the deal somehow falls through. PLEASE!!!

Nevermind: It's official already

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... chris-mack
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
sju88grad wrote:I'm really disappointed to hear Mack is leaving.....especially to hear he is leaving for a corrupt ACC program.....I have no doubt that Xavier will make a great hire....I just don't understand how a Xavier alum would want to leave his alma mater for a program that is so dirty......(i get it - it's more cash but still....)......feel bad for Xavier fans but I'm sure they won't miss a beat.....

It really doesn't make sense to me either. Besides the money part which is obvious.

But Mack is at an elite program, his alma mater, a great city and great conference. A passionate and loyal fanbase. What more can you ask? If he stays @ Xavier he will continue to win

But he wants to head to the ACC in a conference where Duke/UNC own the top of the conference. it's a shame to lose such a great coach.

The Big East needs to find a way to retain these guys. We need more Jay Wrights in this conference. Xavier should be doing everything possible to keep this guy. Shower him with the cash if necessary.

Part of it though with the ACC is that is going to be a conference in flux here in a few years. Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, will all be leaving. Heck, Leonard Hamilton at FSU is 69(I was shocked when I heard that). Going to be a lot of turnvoer in the next 5 years tops.

Xavier may be elite, but it's not the same level as Louisville. And that's the big thing. This isn't a lateral move.
stever20

Postby RxJay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Could Mack be guilty of something and is getting out before things come crashing down?
Creighton 70
RxJay

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 pm

RxJay wrote:Could Mack be guilty of something and is getting out before things come crashing down?

Jesus
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Coach K, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim and Jim Larranaga are all retiring within the next couple of years. There will be the need for a new crop of coaches leading the ACC. It will be Bennett, Buzz, and Mack in that department.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby jfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm

I hope X makes a Final 4 before Louisville! That would be sweet revenge. Same with O State and Butler. I don't get this move, especially with all that is going on at Louisville. Grass is always greener, till it's not (Sean Miller)
CREIGHTON
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board