Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

Postby aggroxcraig » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow, if the news about Chris Mack is true then that's a step backwards when it comes to the HC position.

Xavier is in a much better place than Louisville is IMO.
aggroxcraig

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Damn, looks like your boy Mack is gonna go to cheatin ass L'Ville. Wow.

Oh well, promote from within as you always do. Roll on Xavier, roll on.
a tiny, miniscule, microscopic minority at Jaysville, have our eye on Matta and a few others.
Building our list...for the future.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

kayako wrote:
nickpapagiorgio wrote:By all accounts, we did all we could to keep him. It’s widely rumored that X offered him 3M a year to stay. Apparently it wasn’t enough.

Wow, big kudos to Xavier if this is true. Losing Mack to Louisville doesn't look good for the league, but Xavier is officially "big time" in my eyes if they're willing to pay $3M to keep the coach. That's top 15 salary, and more than what Nova's paying Jay. Nothing personal against Mack, but I hope Louisville gets hit hard by sanctions and he comes to regret leaving Xavier.

Its tough, but some coaches just want a different opportunity. When Shaka was offered by Texas, VCU countered with a $2.7 Million offer. I thought he might stay after that, but obviously he thought UT gave him a better chance to win.

X will be fine, theyve shown they can make the correct hire. Definitely a program I hope VCU emulates.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

7 years at $4M per being reported.
ArmyVet

Postby BEXU » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm

X will do the required "search" and then name Travis Steele.
BEXU

Postby cu blujs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Greggggg Marshall. You will love him, and everyone else in the league will hate him. Could make X the bad guys of the BE. But, the guy can flat out evaluate, recruit and coach.
cu blujs

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Stupid move IMO, Louisville and their athletic department are the epitome of what is wrong with college sports, I hope the school gets sanctioned hard and that Mack fails...
Jet915

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Seems like strange bed fellows but I don't know Mack's situation. I know his wife is from L'ville so maybe her parents are aging and she can live in L'ville and he can coach there and make a pile of guaranteed $'s. Word is his recruiting class is not the greatest next year so maybe that's weighing on him - in a 10 team highly competitive league you can go to first to not so close to first in quick fashion and a guaranteed contract and I'm sure it's loaded with goodies (bonuses) and if he's successful renegotiated contracts to keep in in L'ville and not skip to NBA like Stevens. Interesting to say the least, I thought he would be at Xavier forever.
BEwannabe

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:24 pm

just saw that grad transfer Evan Boudreaux is reopening his recruitment. Grad transfer with 2 years left.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

stever20 wrote:just saw that grad transfer Evan Boudreaux is reopening his recruitment. Grad transfer with 2 years left.

Such a downer to lose a Dartmouth transfer. The Big Green may make a tourney at some point in the next 118 years.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board