GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Pat Kelsey.

No.

+1
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

Didn't Louisville soak the city for a ridiculous sweetheart deal? Also, the fanbase ran Denny Crum out of town in the late 90's (maybe DePaul and Marquette fans can give more details), and was starting to turn on Pitino in around 2012 but then they put Operation Hooker in place.
Providence
billyjack

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 am

billyjack wrote:Didn't Louisville soak the city for a ridiculous sweetheart deal? Also, the fanbase ran Denny Crum out of town in the late 90's (maybe DePaul and Marquette fans can give more details), and was starting to turn on Pitino in around 2012 but then they put Operation Hooker in place.

Yes to all. The university got a ridiculous deal with the Yum Center.
nickpapagiorgio

Re: Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:40 am

Also, if Mack leaves, then that blows. But Xavier has a great program and they'll stay elite.

Also, conference wise, this isn't unprecedented. It reminds me of Boston College after their Elite-8 in 1982. Dr Tom Davis took his bounce passes off to Iowa. It was surprising at the time, but Gary Williams replaced him with some great years.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am

The Louisville job seems fraught with risk due to the NCAA investigations. If I was Mack, I'd stay away just because of that
ArmyVet

Postby RedStorm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm

If I were Chris Mack, I'd wait a few years for a shot at the Duke job. Hurley, Wojo and Collins aren't exactly showing greatness yet.

Also who knows what will transpire with the UNC and UCLA jobs in a few years. Louisville is a step up, but I think he could have waited for better.

X will be fine in any event. Their admin seems to have an eye for coaching talent and always makes a great hire, unlike certain other programs.
RedStorm

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm eager to see how the interviewing process shakes out. I think Travis Steele is the obvious front runner, but I'd like to see who else we could attract. We're in a different position now than we were last time we hired a new coach.

Kelsey will likely get an interview, but he's a hard pass for me - his resume is, frankly, not impressive. If he wasn't a part of the Xavier family, I don't even think he'd be a consideration. My wishlist is: Steele or Sean Miller. I don't think Miller will happen because of the uncertainty surrounding him, but I think he'd come back to Xavier in a heartbeat if offered.
nickpapagiorgio

Postby xusandy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Would Matta come back? Would we even want him? What young dudes with NO ties to X might we consider? Anyone better that Kelsey or Steele out there?
xusandy

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 pm

xusandy wrote:Would Matta come back? Would we even want him? What young dudes with NO ties to X might we consider? Anyone better that Kelsey or Steele out there?

It doesn't matter if Matta would come back because he's not wanted back. A lot of people are still unhappy with how he left. Even if we ignore our past with him, his last years at OSU didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. There are a lot of coaches better than Kelsey. He's a nice guy, but his resume isn't impressive.
nickpapagiorgio

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board