Marquette Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Marquette Review

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:There is no reason MU can’t be a Top 3 BE finisher next year. Wojo needs to get this team scrappy and hungry on the defensive end.

agree. The Warrior/GE's should be quite good next season.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:43 pm

A kid I expect to blossom next season is Sacar Anim.
Bill Marsh

Postby MUPanther » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:11 pm

As it was said, Marquette needs and will get a grad point guard.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby aughnanure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am

Bill Marsh wrote:A kid I expect to blossom next season is Sacar Anim.

I don’t. He’ll technically be a senior next year since he redshirted a year ago. So I don’t see much additional growth since last year was really his junior year on the team.

Valuable role player to have but has one of the worst natural “feels” for the putting the ball in the basket that I’ve seen from a guard that gets as many open chances and layups. My one caveat is, I thought a very similar thing about Vander Blue halfway through his college career - great role player, good D, athletic, but not a lead-type guy offensively. Vander was significantly higher rated coming in, so there was always this tinge of hope ... but I just don’t see Anim taking a major step beyond simply being an upperclassman leader, getting better at, and being a smart player knowing what to do and where to do be at the right time. Basically - great valuable role player. Elliott, and Cain especially, should take more of his minutes as they get older.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby OmahaGuy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:24 pm

A bit late on this but Harry Froling is out at Marquette. Sad he won't face his brother at Creighton.
OmahaGuy

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am

aughnanure wrote:
MarquetteRustler wrote:Another "In" for Marquette is Brendan Bailey. Top 100 SF who has been on a Mormon mission the last two years. MU really needs to add a PG that can handle the ball and defend. Howard cannot handle the ball full time.

Thia. OmahaGuy does a great jobs with these, but he forgot about Bailey here (which makes sense since he is listed in the 2016 class). He’s 6’8, supposedly has a great shot, and will be 20ish. Marquette gets so much bigger next year with Morrow, Hauser, and Ike ... all 6’8 or above. I can’t imagine a scenario where Marquette does not get an immediately eligible PG transfer - we will be so attractive for any grad transfer out there with our size and shooting (even our non Hauser—Rowsey-Howard guards made threes at a good rate). We have the playing time and scoring support to make a pass first, defensive-proficient PG look at us hard.

Rumors that Froling may leave, which I hope is not true. I think he can still turn into something and he is by far the best rebounding big from this season (Morrow will be our best next year). One of the biggest reasons I identified for why I believe Marquette underachieved was that we ended up having Heldt play 20+ minutes a game instead of the 8-12 I was hoping for when Froling became eligible. He is a great big to have on the bench to spell minutes, but if you have to rely on him to be your primary center, that’s a big limitation.

Where do you see Morrow fitting in? Looks like the roster is full of 4s.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am

Froling played like a Ron Giplaye type (Friar from around 2012).

Had trouble staying out of foul trouble, and layups tended to be adventures when he'd laser fire the ball off the backboard. Nothing looked easy for him.

I didn't see a ton of him, but that was my impression.

Theo John also seems very raw, but has a better presence down low.
Providence
billyjack

Postby cu blujs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

Morrow will fit in. He was Nebraska's lone bright spot among underclassmen in 2016-17 (granted, that isn't saying much). He is a really good rebounder with good thickness to battle inside and had decent touch. Unless he didn't work at all on his game during his offseason, I think he will contribute significantly to your inside game.
cu blujs

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board