Respect For And Strength Of The Big East...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Respect For And Strength Of The Big East...

Postby anXUfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Blocked him a long time ago and have not regretted it.
anXUfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:21 pm

anXUfan wrote:Blocked him a long time ago and have not regretted it.

Probably should have, too...on the upside, I've been reminded over 8,700 times that I am not at the bottom of the basketball knowledge food chain.
Savannah Jay

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Uconn fans themselves will tell you that the AAC is a mid-major conference. It's just funny when a Big East fan goes out of his way to defend it. :lol: I do find it regrettable that Wright thought it was a good idea to schedule a 3 game series with uconn. If I had to pick an ex-conference mate, I'd have preferred Syracuse.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 pm

stever20 wrote:no doubt the AAC didn't get good results out of their draw. But they were on the other hand real close to having a draw with Houston in the west region without top 3 seeds and 4 seed Gonzaga getting beat by Florida St- and Cincy in the South where 1,3,4,5,6 were all out early, and 5 seed Kentucky getting beat by Kansas St. They were close to having a chance to have a Houston/Cincy national semifinal game.

Holy crap. Everyone on this board needs to re-read this several times... In reality both teams lost in the R32. In Stever’s mind both just missed playing in the FF against each other. I mean where do you go from a comment like that? That speaks directly to his abject dillusions about the AAC. It would be akin to us saying that Creighton just missed on the FF had they beaten KSU. You can’t reason or debate this level of thinking. The best you can do is hope a shiny object gets his attention and takes him away from this self-imposed embarrassment.

Wow. No other words...just: wow. I think we’re done here.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:no doubt the AAC didn't get good results out of their draw. But they were on the other hand real close to having a draw with Houston in the west region without top 3 seeds and 4 seed Gonzaga getting beat by Florida St- and Cincy in the South where 1,3,4,5,6 were all out early, and 5 seed Kentucky getting beat by Kansas St. They were close to having a chance to have a Houston/Cincy national semifinal game.

Holy crap. Everyone on this board needs to re-read this several times... In reality both teams lost in the R32. In Stever’s mind both just missed playing in the FF against each other. I mean where do you go from a comment like that? That speaks directly to his abject dillusions about the AAC. It would be akin to us saying that Creighton just missed on the FF had they beaten KSU. You can’t reason or debate this level of thinking. The best you can do is hope a shiny object gets his attention and takes him away from this self-imposed embarrassment.

I could say the same with the Big East. Xavier if they beat Florida St has an excellent chance of making the final 4, and creating what would be a dream scenario- an Xavier/Villanova title game. Like it or not, it was set up perfectly for Houston and Cincy- but they crapped it totally away. Totally 100%. Just like Xavier did vs Florida St(except maybe even worse for Houston and Cincy especially given they were up with the game in control late). The bracket was WIDE open for Xavier on the Big East side and for both Houston and Cincy on the AAC side.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

GoldenWarrior11

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 am

stever20 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:Loyola is a great story. BUT top 6 seeds make the elite 8 so much- 233 top 6 seeds to 39 sub 6 seeds- that it just shows how much the odds are skewed for the top 6 seeds.....

even sweet 16- it's 422 top 6 seeds to only 122 sub 6 seeds. So a difference of about 3.5 to 1.

11 seeds are great, if you don't have to go to Dayton. But there's maybe 1 of those each year.

I think the Big East would have been better off if Seton Hall had beaten Butler in the BET, and Seton Hall now instead of a 8 seed is a 6 seed. Even if that costs Butler their bid. Seton Hall as a 6 could have done some serious damage. But being an 8, they had an extreme uphill battle. I think the A10 showed it some even themselves this year. A10 with URI as a 6 seed(very possible with A10 win) and no Davidson much better off in having a real shot than A10 with URI as a 7 seed(seeing Duke) and Davidson as a 12 seed(seeing Kentucky).

Extra teams may be lottery tickets, but those lottery tickets are like powerball tickets. Call me risk adverse, but I'd rather have a stronger team like Seton Hall with a higher seed than getting an extra team in, but hampering the stronger teams chance of making a run.

I think you are common sense averse...what would have happened if we only got three teams in the tournament? Let's just say they were all top 6 seeds. And just for discussion purposes, those seeds were a 2, 4, and 6. Those seem like good seeds poised for a nice run, no? But, as we know, getting only three teams in with good seeds isn't even a guarantee of one sweet sixteen team, is it?

no doubt the AAC didn't get good results out of their draw. But they were on the other hand real close to having a draw with Houston in the west region without top 3 seeds and 4 seed Gonzaga getting beat by Florida St- and Cincy in the South where 1,3,4,5,6 were all out early, and 5 seed Kentucky getting beat by Kansas St. They were close to having a chance to have a Houston/Cincy national semifinal game.

You know what's interesting to think about? If my aunt had balls...well...she'd be my uncle. :shock:
MullinMayhem

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:12 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

It's so far off the rails, perhaps there is an explanation:
A. Completely unhinged and treatment is necessary
B. He applied to every single school in the Big East and all of them rejected him
C. He needs to have his tires rotated by a red headed woman
D. His mom quit making his favorite meat loaf
E. His mom kicked him out of the basement

Or, we start of HLOH Dumbass Hall of Fame...and he can be its first member (we could make the enshrinement standard: 3 years of HLOH membership and minimum of 8,000 dumbass posts).
Savannah Jay

Postby jfan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:It would be akin to us saying that Creighton just missed on the FF had they beaten KSU.
At the next home game, Creighton will be unveiling our "Almost Final Four" banner. Who knew that you didn't actually have to win these games to take credit. We're so proud!!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 am

We are currently in an active and healthy debate on the other site. He believes that Mack leaving is detrimental to the Big East and that it will only get worse as time goes on because TV money is just now kicking in (he even says its like AAC football coaches getting unfortunately poached). I listed this article (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidching/2018/03/07/ncaa-tournaments-biggest-spenders-usually-rank-among-its-biggest-winners-too/#2167bda87a22) that shows how much each tournament team (from 2017) spent (there is not a clear divide between P5 schools and Big East schools). He then says the average of the Big East schools are clearly at a divide if you look at the Sweet 16 schools. Those Sweet 16 schools:

UCLA
Florida
Wisconsin
Kentucky
UNC
Oregon
Michigan
Kansas
Purdue
Arizona
Baylor
South Carolina
West Virginia

In essence, the spending of blue bloods like UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and UNC, in addition to strong national programs like Florida, Wisconsin, Oregon and Michigan, equate to the entire P5 being able to outspend and out-resource the average of the tiny, little and insignificant Big East. :lol: :lol:

It's the art of cherry picking an argument if I've ever seen one. You find data to support your preconceived opinions, instead of data to highlight the facts.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board