Respect For And Strength Of The Big East...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Respect For And Strength Of The Big East...

Postby BEhomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:And look at the units this year
Big Ten this year- 11 or 12 units(depending on if Michigan wins or not)
Big East this year- 12 or 13 units(depending on if Villanova wins or not)

sure Big East got more teams in, but the units will be between 0-2 apart. Not that big of a deal at all.

If it's 13-11, when the number of teams are 10:14, that's not exactly chump change. that's 50% difference. The seeds is important and alll, but our teams had their chances against injured teams.

What Stever should be comparing is the credits AAC will be getting vs MVC.

AAC this year - 5 units
MVC this year - 5 units.

so I guess he's right. more is not necessarily better.
BEhomer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby eye of the jay » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:42 pm

I think next year could very easily be a banner year for the Big East. It may not result in a title, but we could get numerous teams in and do damage. If Georgetown schedules better and St. John's avoids injury the bottom of the Big East could definitely be better (not sure about Depaul because banking on Depaul improving is always dangerous but they had some bright spots this year).

Nova should be slightly down though still dominant and X will lose a step without Blueitt and Macura. The problem this year is we had not a lot of losses by Nova and X and while their profiles were #1 seed worthy, all the other 4 and Marquette were solid but meh. I think if we can get 4 teams in the 2-6 area that would be absolutely phenomenal for March. Creighton, Providence and Butler should all still be tourney teams and Marquette SH or St. John's could give us another bid or two to get back to 6 or 7. We really need to overperform in non-conference and then have a tight 3-way race at the top with those 3 top teams losing to lower tourney teams to boost resumes.

Yes, we definitely had opportunities for more this year with injuries and pathways to the second weekend, but hopefully Nova wins it, gives us more credits and then we continue improving throughout the rest of the conference to maintain this Top 3 Hoops identity that we've garnered and translate that into (non-Nova) tourney success.
eye of the jay

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

If we lose just Bridges and Brunson we may not end of being a #1 seed come March, but I'd be shocked if not a Top 3-4 seed at worst.

Booth
DiVincenzo
Spellman
Paschall

I can't imagine us falling out of the Top 10-15 with that core a year older, stronger and wiser. Add to that core 3 Top 50 Frosh, and 4 more-than-serviceable bench players in Roundtree, Gillespie, Samuels and Painter. The beat keeps going IMO.

Now if we lose our entire starting 5 this year, it probably means we won the NC, and Omari and Eric P had huge Final Fours. I'd be happy for that trade off.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby mel ott » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:If we lose just Bridges and Brunson we may not end of being a #1 seed come March, but I'd be shocked if not a Top 3-4 seed at worst.

Booth
DiVincenzo
Spellman
Paschall

I can't imagine us falling out of the Top 10-15 with that core a year older, stronger and wiser. Add to that core 3 Top 50 Frosh, and 4 more-than-serviceable bench players in Roundtree, Gillespie, Samuels and Painter. The beat keeps going IMO.

Now if we lose our entire starting 5 this year, it probably means we won the NC, and Omari and Eric P had huge Final Fours. I'd be happy for that trade off.

I have always stated that Vill has been my favorite team in the Big East from the start. It's almost worth the high, priced tickets at the Century Link just to watch them play. From Josh Hart to Jalen B., top players and class organization that have represented the Big East for all these past 5 years. I hope Cu can catch them sometime in the coming years, but they always has been the class of the league.
mel ott

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:30 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:If we lose just Bridges and Brunson we may not end of being a #1 seed come March, but I'd be shocked if not a Top 3-4 seed at worst.

Booth
DiVincenzo
Spellman
Paschall

Must be tough being a Nova fan..... :roll:
Jet915

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:52 am

BEhomer wrote:What Stever should be comparing is the credits AAC will be getting vs MVC.

AAC this year - 5 units
MVC this year - 5 units.

He's wrong, but Stever's been consistent with his point of emphasis. To him, 4 teams with better seeding was always better than 6 teams with lots of 7-10 seeds. I have to admire the tenacity... lol

Don't forget the A10 with 5 units. They're not just gonna fade away and make AAC look major league.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 am

Hard to predict how the season will unfold, but I can safely predict a top 3 preseason ranking if we only lose Brunson and Bridges, and that's only because it's become a ritual to have Duke at #1 to start the season. Spellman is BE POY good. Nova's so deep next season we might still be a BE contender if the starting 5 left.

Quinerly/Gillespie
DiVincenzo/Gillespie
Slater/Samuels
Swider/Transfer
Dada/Painter
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 am

mel ott wrote:I have always stated that Vill has been my favorite team in the Big East from the start. It's almost worth the high, priced tickets at the Century Link just to watch them play. From Josh Hart to Jalen B., top players and class organization that have represented the Big East for all these past 5 years.

Nova's had some all-time bad luck with its seeding in the tournament recently, but I'm always thankful of supportive fellow BE fans during those tough years. It's made me watch a lot more college BB in recent years rooting for you guys.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 am

kayako wrote:
BEhomer wrote:What Stever should be comparing is the credits AAC will be getting vs MVC.

AAC this year - 5 units
MVC this year - 5 units.

He's wrong, but Stever's been consistent with his point of emphasis. To him, 4 teams with better seeding was always better than 6 teams with lots of 7-10 seeds. I have to admire the tenacity... lol

Don't forget the A10 with 5 units. They're not just gonna fade away and make AAC look major league.

The A10 had to contort themselves and hurt Rhode Island to get 5 units though. Bid thief and next to last team in the tourney. Was really close to having only 2 units. AAC on the other had was really close to having 7 units and possibly a lot more.... And AAC team just took best A10's team coach.

and look at the Big East units over the 5 years
2014- 4 teams/6 units
2015- 6 teams/11 units
2016- 5 teams/12 units
2017- 7 teams/13 units
2018- 6 teams/13 units

even this year/last year- last year 1/4/6/9/10/11/11(ff) had worse seeding but 1 more team than this year 1/1/8/8/10/10. 2016 had better seeding than either of them, and only 1 fewer unit(and that was with Seton Hall getting a bad break).
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I have always stated that Villanova is my favorite BE team... ...wait... to hate. :lol: I love hating on Nova and they are a great program and team.
That is why I chose them to hate. If you're gonna hate...hate the best. We can and have beaten the other BE teams. Creighton, in my humble opinion (IMHO)
should aspire to build their program to equal and rival Nova's program...not to be like them, but to be as successful as they are. Why emulate 2nd or 3rd best.

Having said that. Go Nova in the FF. Win the whole damned t'ing! Go Big East!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board