Disappointing...again.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Disappointing...again.

Postby paulxu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Are we that much better than the AAC? No, which needs to change, but we are still a big boy conference.

We are a lot better than the AAC. I'm going to assume you meant the ACC.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Nildogg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:31 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Wait your turn to speak, Xavier has done a helluva lot more for this conference than Butler has.

Typical douchebag X fan response. How about make it to the Sweet 16 when you get a 1 seed, and try to lower your arrests in the off season?
Nildogg

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Nildogg wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Wait your turn to speak, Xavier has done a helluva lot more for this conference than Butler has.

Typical douchebag X fan response. How about make it to the Sweet 16 when you get a 1 seed, and try to lower your arrests in the off season?

Wait, is it somehow better that your team didn't make the Sweet 16 because you half-assed your way into the tournament?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

C'mon guys. Grow up.
ArmyVet

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Can't wait to see Nova win the NCAA Championship again, and see Marquette win the NIT. The sky-is-falling crowd will be thankful for another great season.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:29 pm

It's a real problem and it's a big perception issue. X was supposed to prove we weren't just Nova. Then they go out and lose to a 9 seed FSU team. So in other words, we are just Nova. Seton Hall is always close but never wins the big games in the tourney. We need our version of a Syracuse...a solid but not great Big East team in the regular season that becomes unstoppable in the tourney. PC and Seton Hall have really underwhelmed in the tourney.
MullinMayhem

Postby BigEast1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm in the middle of this debate. Personally, I was disappointed in the overall performance of the Big East. Yes, I think there will be bashers saying we are just Villanova and a bunch of "also-rans" coming out. But if that happens it's on the other teams to prove them wrong. I still think lousy showing or not, getting 6 to 7 teams each year is equally important. I know some here make the "seeding" argument. I don't fully buy it simply because there are two #11 seeds, two #7 seeds and two #9 seeds in the Sweet 16. Yes seeding helps, but what I find frustrating is when people say things like "Seton Hall never had a chance against Kansas in the state of Kansas" and yet Syracuse finds a way to beat Michigan St in the state of Michigan. Just once I'd like to see multiple Big East teams (Hell I will take 3) playing beyond the first weekend and beyond. Go "Nova & Marquette 8-)
BigEast1

Postby DeltaV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm

As I was watching the games over the weekend, I kept wondering if our style of play was beginning to be a bit of an issue.

It seemed every Big East loss, or slow point, was caused by foul trouble. The end of the Xavier game, Nova was a bit slow in the first half, and I think there were a few others. We pride ourselves in being a very tough, physical league...but is it hurting us in March in front of a different officiating crew? There were absolutely calls that I stared at and wondered where the foul was; especially with the Xavier game last night, where FS looked like a bunch of puppies on cocaine, and Xavier was making good physical plays and getting called for what I think we usually consider 'acceptable' physical contact.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm

I see what you're saying BigEast1, but I'd have signed up in a heartbeat to play MSU in Detroit compared to what we got. The SHU-KU crowd was by far the most one sided crowd I've ever seen in an NCAA tournament game. The big difference, apart from MSU being the most overrated team in the country all year, is that Detroit is a city that other fan bases can reasonably travel to.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby scoscox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Florida state was getting away with murder on almost every possession it seemed and we got called for a lot of touch fouls and frankly phantom fouls. We had guys go down hurt 4 times in this game. Freedom of movement went out the window when we had the ball and somehow we were the ones in serious foul trouble. At one point we had trevon, jp, kerem, and naji all forced out with foul trouble and injuries. Playing without our top 4 leading scorers and 4 of our 5 starters was a serious issue. Not having naji down the stretch hurt our rebounding and defense as well. On top of that we turned it over way too much and couldn’t hit free throws. But seriously, even nova would struggle if the refs took Brunson, Bridges, Booth, and spellman all out of the game simultaneously.

The big east is fine btw.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board