Xavier Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier Review

Postby kayako » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

scoscox wrote:Wisconsin was still a bad loss whether they were under seeded or not you were still the overall #1

FWIW, the bettling line for that game was Villanova -5 or -5.5. Disappointing, but I am not willing to think of it as a bad loss in building a case against Jay Wright.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

kayako wrote:Nova's 27-11 under Jay Wright. He's had only 2 bad losses in his entire tournament career, NC State and St. Mary's. What coach (with enough high seeded teams) doesn't have 2 bad losses? The underperformer label was never a fair one, especially given that Jay's had some significant tournament success before those 2 bad losses.

And he was only 14-10 before the 2016 run. With being only 3-5 from the 2010 thru 2015 seasons. With 3 of those losses being as a 1 or 2 seed vs 7-10 seeds(which are bad losses no matter how you cut it). Like it or not, there would naturally be questions about that. There was absolutely a reason why the Nova team in 2016 after beating Iowa had the reaction they had. Why Wright hugged Arcidiacono after that game.
stever20

Postby BEXU » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 pm

and then , back to the XU Review....

Steele has picked up virtually his entire coaching staff and 3 grad transfer in little over a week. :o

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/tag/ryan-welage/ Kid shoots 84% from the line.

The DII pickup was the MVP of the League.
BEXU

Postby X Factor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:46 pm

BEXU wrote:and then , back to the XU Review....

Steele has picked up virtually his entire coaching staff and 3 grad transfer in little over a week. :o

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/tag/ryan-welage/ Kid shoots 84% from the line.

The DII pickup was the MVP of the League.

The DII pickup, Zach Hankins, was the DII National POY.

Ryan Welage is a 6'9 kid who averaged 18 points and shot 43% from three as a junior (will graduate this spring and be eligible to play next year).

Kyle Castlin is a solid shooting guard who had some injuries that limited his time on the court.

I like all of these pick ups by Travis Steele to provide depth next year while he works on recruiting 2019 and beyond.

His assistant coach hires are very good and have been given a lot of praise in the college basketball world. Xavier looks a lot better for next year than we did about 3 weeks ago.
X Factor

Postby Toronto Rapture » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:11 pm

kayako wrote:Steele's been working hard.

Its impressive. Next year might be a bit of a down year for Xavier, but it seems like the program is going to be fine moving forward with Steele if his work since being named coach is any indication.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 am

Does this guy sleep? Every time I check this thread, Steele has picked up another grad transfer. Who knows how much work is being done with 2019 recruits that isn't reported.
supernova
kayako

Postby scoscox » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 am

Toronto Rapture wrote:
kayako wrote:Steele's been working hard.

Its impressive. Next year might be a bit of a down year for Xavier, but it seems like the program is going to be fine moving forward with Steele if his work since being named coach is any indication.

It may not be a down year at all. I really like our lineup right now with this added depth
scoscox

Postby scoscox » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 am

kayako wrote:

Does this guy sleep? Every time I check this thread, Steele has picked up another grad transfer. Who knows how much work is being done with 2019 recruits that isn't reported.

It doesn’t seem like it. I’m getting my hopes up pretty high that Travis can make a big splash with the 2019 class
scoscox

Postby Irishdawg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:29 am

scoscox wrote:
kayako wrote:

It doesn’t seem like it. I’m getting my hopes up pretty high that Travis can make a big splash with the 2019 class

The one thing this guy has always been able to do is recruit and is seemingly constantly in contact with everyone, so I'm sure he's already deep into 2019 and beyond. I think so far with the roster he's done exactly what Xavier needs for next year.
Irishdawg

Postby BEXU » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Looks like he's duking it out with mack to get another transfer:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 508168002/
BEXU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board