Xavier Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier Review

Postby sju88grad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:X fans you guys had a great year. It may take a little while to get past the bitter feeling of this loss but it should not hold more weight than simply a tough loss. It doesn’t invalidate the BE championship or the #1 seed.

March is a fickle wench. Matchups, momentum, fortunate calls and fortunate bounces are magnified. Also there is a difference in being the hunter as a lower seed instead of the hunted which X has been 2 of the last 3 years. X seems to embrace that underdog badge in the tourney really well. As a Nova fans we’ve had to endured the “Jay can’t get it done in March” comments (even on HLOH) even though the overall success of the program has/had never been better.

You guys will be back. And you’ll break through to the FF—perhaps when you don’t expect it. That’s just how March works.

The thing is, March does validate teams. I mean Gonzaga is looked at 100% differently now than they were before because of the last 2 years- final 8 in 16 and final game in 17. You can say all you want that it shouldn't hold more weight than just simply a tough loss. It doesn't work that way.

Now, I will say that Mack gets a bit more of a pass for these 2 flameouts in 3 years than Wright did before winning the title- because he does have 4 sweet 16's and an elite 8 in the last 8 years prior to this.

And this is why you have 0 credibility. And this is not a knock on Mack; I think he’s an excellent coach. But Mack, who’s never been to one, let alone 2 FF’s gets a Stever pass and Izzo who lost to 2 double digit seeds and hasn’t gotten out of the first weekend the last 3 years gets a Stever pass. But the most accomplished active coach in the BE doesn’t measure up to your AAC loving standards? Whatever Dbag troll.

Since 2005, JW has made (2) FF’s, (3) E8’s and (6) S16’s. And they’re still alive in 2018. Let me ask the rest of the BE fan base not named Stever... Who here would sign up for that level of success for your own program without hesitation?

So take your references to flameouts and stick them up that AAC loving hole.

ME ME ME GUMBY!!!.....PICK ME!!!.....I'd take that in a freakin' heartbeat!!! :) :) :) :) :)
sju88grad

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm

stever20 wrote: The thing is, March does validate teams. I mean Gonzaga is looked at 100% differently now than they were before because of the last 2 years- final 8 in 16 and final game in 17.

What in the flying H feck are you talking about? I want you to be specific...how is Gonzaga looked at "100% differently now?"

Is it because they sell out every game? They did that before 2016.
Is it because national media talks about them a lot? They did that before 2016.
Is it because other conferences drool at the prospect of having them as a member? They did that before 2016.
Is it because the basketball team has spurred a flurry of alumni giving? That happened before 2016.
Is it because fans are talking about them as tourney darlings? They did that before, acknowledging that the final four run, in particularly, removed one VERY SMALL ding on Few's resume.
Is it because Power 6 conferences will schedule Zags? They did that before 2016.
Is it because Zags' players get all-American recognition? They did that before 2016.
Is it because we all know where Spokane is now? Well, some of us did, some of us didn't (and still don't) before 2016.

I could probably go on...but am kinda bored talking about Zags (particularly on Xs thread...sorry Muskies).

So, please explain how Gonzaga is look at 100% differently.
Savannah Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:This lengthy article is well worth a read for those of you interested:

Takeaways from Xavier basketball's early NCAA Tournament exit- Patrick Brennan, Cincinnati Enquirer - March 20, 2018
This season was one of the greatest in program history.

The team was led by J.P. Macura, Trevon Bluiett, Kerem Kanter, and Sean O'Mara, all of which will have a shot at professional basketball somewhere on this earth. At least half the names in that group should make a strong push for the NBA.

Combined, that group scored more than 4,700 career points at Xavier and notched a combined, four-year record of 109-26. They were part of Xavier's first team to advance to the Big East Tournament championship game, its first outright regular-season league title – the first Big East title by any school not named Villanova since the Big East reconfigured, for that matter – and went 3-1 against crosstown rival Cincinnati.

And despite two devastating NCAA Tournament losses in 2016 and on Sunday, three members of that group (excluding Kanter, a graduate transfer) enjoyed the magical high of a deep March Madness run in 2017 when they advanced to the Elite Eight.

The program's first No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Chris Mack became the all-time winningest Xavier coach. I'm probably missing some other things this group was responsible for.

This season was a thrill ride. The team was like a meteor that streaked across the sky over Evanston and Norwood, and disappeared in a flash before we could truly appreciate what we had on our hands, and how they fit into the greatest season of college basketball this region's ever seen.

Time will allow healing from Sunday's disappointment, and for more appreciation of the Xavier team we had the pleasure of witnessing the last six months.

Congratulations to Chris Mack and his outstanding senior class.

Well... Looks like the Muskies had a pretty good year. I'd accept that for my Jays any year. Especially the BE Championship part.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby sciencejay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 am

Not trying to stir anything up, but it looked to me like Blueitt wasn't "Blueitt" for the last month of the season. I don't have any production stats to lean on, but in the CU game, things went through JP, Goodin and the bigs. BE tourney loss he missed the game-sealing layup. NCAA tourney loss was similar in that it appeared he was more of a spot shooter than 'the guy.' Was he hurt? Did opposing defenses figure out how to keep him down? In the past, the guy scored in bunches the second you didn't lock him down, but that didn't appear to be the case at the end of the year.

Just wondering.

PS - Great season X. Along with Nova, you were the class of the league this year (and most years). Nothing to hang your head about. Disappointing loss, but FSU is long and athletic and if they actually score a decent amount, they can beat most teams in the nation on a given night. That's what makes the tourney so great and so frustrating.
sciencejay

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:18 am

With Chris Mack now headed to Louisville, Evan Boudreaux is also on his way out.
OmahaGuy

Postby Xudash » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pm

XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Xudash » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Kyle Castlin - Columbia grad transfer - commits to X.

Mark my words, not only will Steele continue Xavier's incredible run of coaches, but he may be the best yet since Staak.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Really looking forward to watching Steele oversee Xavier for the foreseeable future. He was highly respected as an assistant and as a recruiter. I have no doubt he will adjust well to being a head coach as well.

Congrats, X!
GoldenWarrior11

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 pm

X has a history of great internal promotions. This should be no different. Just hoping he takes a couple of years to adjust... ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Jet915 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Xudash wrote:Kyle Castlin - Columbia grad transfer - commits to X.

Mark my words, not only will Steele continue Xavier's incredible run of coaches, but he may be the best yet since Staak.

Chose X over Ohio State among others...
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board