Xavier vs Florida State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier vs Florida State

Postby billyjack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 pm

stever20 wrote:what was that final offensive possession for Xavier? That was not good in any fashion.

Too much time wasted, but in the end, Kanter got a wide open look from 3 to go for the tie. So it was good in that fashion, right? It just didn't go in.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:what was that final offensive possession for Xavier? That was not good in any fashion.

Too much time wasted, but in the end, Kanter got a wide open look from 3 to go for the tie. So it was good in that fashion, right? It just didn't go in.

yeah but do you really want your season to hinge on a 3 pointer by Kanter who had taken 50 3's for the season up to that point- 34%??? with 21 seconds you basically gave yourself 1 shot.....

And even if it goes in, it's still tie game with 7 seconds to go. FSU still gets the last shot. just didn't like that one at all.
stever20

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 pm

billyjack wrote:I re-watched the last 6 minutes.

I can understand that XU fans don't want to blame the refs, so I'm going to do it.

Couple of things:

FSU was allowed to play Pitino defense for entire time... grab, reach in, bump the PG at every movement. Xavier guard literally hands ball to teammate, FSU is allowed to reach in and hack. This keeps the offense from running, delays movement, keeps FSU out of foul trouble, and FSU might as well keep doing it cuz they don't get whistled.

How could a team lose while being given that advantage? What was the play where the FSU guard as Goodin was taking the ball up at halfcourt, guy just hacked/ reached in, no whistle, ball rolled out of bounds, gave FSU the ball.

I only saw Macura's 5th foul. FSU guy slid over and it should've been a block. Easy foul, should have been 2 shots. I'm afraid to watch Macura's other fouls. Again, does everyone realize what an advantage that is? It's Croshere 1997 for PC. We're talking about a one possession game, and these series of calls absolutely cost the game... the FSU travel on the late layup was ignored... death by a thousand paper cuts.

Can anyone here, seriously, name *ONE* call that was 50-50 that went in the Big East's favor in any NCAA game so far this year? Not to mention t, no fuckin way any of us were allowed to play D like that in return.

And the announcers were dipshits. Lappas is the dumbest dimwit around, and will be part of my highly-anticipated announcers thread due out in early May. All of them must have been warned to not criticize the refs.

Anyway, sorry for Xavier. Shouldn't have ended like this. You got screwed.

Appreciate it but if we have to blame the refs we left it too close.
XU
JohnW22

Postby hoops22 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 am

Have to agree with Stever, that was very questionable strategy, to pin the entire season on one possession, walking the ball up and then having Kanter shoot a three. They needed to be playing with a lot more urgency in those final seconds. To me, the key moment in the game was when Macura picked up his 4th foul. At that time Xavier was up about 10 and had all the momentum. I get it he plays hard every possession, and I respect that, but sometimes smart has to override hard. When he was out in the first half X, went nine minutes without a FG and didn't get one until he subbed back in. On that 4th foul, the FSU player was well beyond the arc and not attempting to score. Macura can't put himself on the bench in that spot. If they were down ten, then I can see gambling, but not when they were up ten. Instead Mack had to sit him, and when he came back in the game six minutes later, it was tied and FSU had all the momentum. Macura going to the bench with that fourth foul was when the wheels started to come off. That was a tough loss to swallow.
hoops22

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 am

Rough game for X...expected a lot more. That said, FSU is always tough...rough matchup. On the bright side, the AAC was awful this year in the tourney and they are all gone before the Sweet 16. Wichita State fans are learning that they are much more beatable than they thought they were in the MVC. Also great seeing Cincy bounced. Seton Hall was playing Kansas, I know I know. But they never break through. They do just enough to make things interesting, but they always fail in the bright lights. We are awful in the NCAA's this year. Bad for perception. This has to change guys.
MullinMayhem

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Rough game for X...expected a lot more. That said, FSU is always tough...rough matchup. On the bright side, the AAC was awful this year in the tourney and they are all gone before the Sweet 16. Wichita State fans are learning that they are much more beatable than they thought they were in the MVC. Also great seeing Cincy bounced. Seton Hall was playing Kansas, I know I know. But they never break through. They do just enough to make things interesting, but they always fail in the bright lights. We are awful in the NCAA's this year. Bad for perception. This has to change guys.

A SJU fan telling the other BE tourney teams that they fell short and things need to improve. That’s certainly an interesting take.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby hoops22 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Rough game for X...expected a lot more. That said, FSU is always tough...rough matchup. On the bright side, the AAC was awful this year in the tourney and they are all gone before the Sweet 16. Wichita State fans are learning that they are much more beatable than they thought they were in the MVC. Also great seeing Cincy bounced. Seton Hall was playing Kansas, I know I know. But they never break through. They do just enough to make things interesting, but they always fail in the bright lights. We are awful in the NCAA's this year. Bad for perception. This has to change guys.

A SJU fan telling the other BE tourney teams that they fell short and things need to improve. That’s certainly an interesting take.

What's your problem with it? He's probably been more critical of St. John's than any other person on this board. He's simply speaking as a fan of the conference and being frustrated things didn't go better. He knows St. johns has been disappointing, but that has nothing to do with how we've fared this post season as a conference. Maybe we shouldn't give a shit about how anyone else does. other than our own team, that way you won't be bothered when we express disappointment over other BE teams falling short.
hoops22

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 am

hoops22 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

What's your problem with it? He's probably been more critical of St. John's than any other person on this board. He's simply speaking as a fan of the conference and being frustrated things didn't go better. He knows St. johns has been disappointing, but that has nothing to do with how we've fared this post season as a conference. Maybe we shouldn't give a shit about how anyone else does. other than our own team, that way you won't be bothered when we express disappointment over other BE teams falling short.

Calm down skippy... Yeah, I do have a problem when a fan of a team that has underperformed for the past 30 years ripping a team like SHU that “they always fail in the bright lights.” If you watched that game vs Kansas and how those SHU kids gave every ounce of effort they could, against a top seed, get bad bounce after bad bounce, questionable calls against them during what amounted as a home game for the Jayhawks, only to have to hear from a fan of another team (that was nowhere near the tourney) to say that they let him down, yet again? That’s crap and I called him out on it. You think differently. I don’t care. The end.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks for the SHU defense gumby. I saw his post and hit reply, then decided not to take the troll's bait and closed the window. Those kids battled to the wire with everything stacked against them. Anyone who claims that performance deserves anything less than respect is either a troll or just a blind hater. They may not have won the game, but they made SHU proud.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby scoscox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 pm

According to Mack, he wanted to get a quick 2 and foul/steal, but FSU took it away and this was the secondary option. I think we probably should’ve gotten it to trevon but a wide open three for a guy who has hit that shot for us earlier in the year isn’t the worst thing I can think of.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board