Xavier vs Florida State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier vs Florida State

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 pm

scoscox wrote:
stever20 wrote:what was that final offensive possession for Xavier? That was not good in any fashion.

According to Mack, he wanted to get a quick 2 and foul/steal, but FSU took it away and this was the secondary option. I think we probably should’ve gotten it to trevon but a wide open three for a guy who has hit that shot for us earlier in the year isn’t the worst thing I can think of.

it sure didn't look like there was going to be anything quick for that poss.

AT least it was a better last poss. than what Cincy got. That was ugly.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm

hoops22 wrote:To me, the key moment in the game was when Macura picked up his 4th foul. At that time Xavier was up about 10 and had all the momentum. I get it he plays hard every possession, and I respect that, but sometimes smart has to override hard. When he was out in the first half X, went nine minutes without a FG and didn't get one until he subbed back in. On that 4th foul, the FSU player was well beyond the arc and not attempting to score. Macura can't put himself on the bench in that spot.

I agree - the fourth foul on JP was huge. The problem, though, is that it was a dreadful call. His third foul was just as bad, and his fifth was questionable. Xavier fans will be wondering for a while what might have been had he not been taken out by a few bad whistles. Rough way to end a great season.
nickpapagiorgio

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:52 pm

nickpapagiorgio wrote:
hoops22 wrote:To me, the key moment in the game was when Macura picked up his 4th foul. At that time Xavier was up about 10 and had all the momentum. I get it he plays hard every possession, and I respect that, but sometimes smart has to override hard. When he was out in the first half X, went nine minutes without a FG and didn't get one until he subbed back in. On that 4th foul, the FSU player was well beyond the arc and not attempting to score. Macura can't put himself on the bench in that spot.

I agree - the fourth foul on JP was huge. The problem, though, is that it was a dreadful call. His third foul was just as bad, and his fifth was questionable. Xavier fans will be wondering for a while what might have been had he not been taken out by a few bad whistles. Rough way to end a great season.

the 5th one on him was one though that you can't put yourself in position to get. That's going to be a 50/50 call at best, and with how much he means to Xavier, he can't put himself in position where he's going to leave it in the refs hands.
stever20

Postby scoscox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

nickpapagiorgio wrote:

Ultimately, it’s tough to overcome a game where everyone in your starting line up has atleast three fouls or is injured and can’t play. Kerem and trevon had 3 fouls, q had 4, jp had 5, and naji played 5 healthy minutes. I’m surprised how little attention has been paid to that playing a role, but it certainly played a huge role in the game.
scoscox

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board