Creighton Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Creighton Review

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 am

cu blujs wrote:While Ronnie seemed to always be good for a play or two each game where you went wow, he was just really inconsistent and never seemed to be able to settle in to what coach wanted. That, and his inability to consistently hit the short jumpers at a high percentage hurt us at times, and his defense left much to be desired at times. Team will miss his energy and one less body for depth, but scoring and rebounding will be replaced, and Nova has shown everyone that you don't have to be able to go 8-9 deep to be successful. This does put a lot of pressure on coaches to land at least one athletic 6'8" type forward in the grad-transfer market.

Everyone obviously is NOT Villanova. 98% of teams in the country cannot replicate what Nova does, as they are an elite team with better talent than most. I get your point that shorthanded teams can succeed and even over accomplish, but the use of the Nova example is highly unfair to the vast majority of teams out there.

I wish Ronnie well and yes, he will be missed.

The Jays are in on/focused on several guards/wings in the transfer-grad transfer market. We should be able to pick up 1 or 2. IMHO we have need of a legit Big (even had RH stayed with the team). There are a few 2018 decommits and a few transfers out on the market. Surprisingly, that was not previously a concern or focus - even with all the youth and rehabbing bigs on the Jays team. I suppose it is a perceived need now??. We shall see.

A lot of familiar grad transfer names on this list-former CU recruiting candidates... https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/Melvin%20Morgan
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Jon Rothstein
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
1h
Washington State transfer Malachi Flynn tells me he will visit Creighton on April 19th. Only visit he has currently locked in.

Creighton getting some visits from some top transfers, hopefully we can land a couple.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Creighton finally lands a commit from 6'5 SF Denzel Mahoney. He is a sit one play 2.

Love this get. Prefer guys who put up great numbers at a mid major level. Welcome Denzel!

Denzel Mahoney averaged 19.3 ppg at Southeast Missouri last year. All-OVC 1st-team. Shot 41.3% from 3. He got to the line 7.03 times per game (26th nationally) & made 83.5% of those FTs.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 am

Very excited about Mahoney, a proven D1 scorer. That said, next year is going to be very interesting at Creighton with a lack of proven players returning.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Creighton gets an impact grad transfer in Rice's Connor Cashaw. The 6-foot-5 wing averaged 15.5 PPG, 7.1 RPG this past season for the Owls. Shooting % arent great but he was high usage at Rice. He rebounds well and has a great assist:TO ratio and was captain of the Rice team. Childhood friends with Jalen Brunson. Nice get this late in the game.
Jet915

Postby Novachap » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Jet915 wrote:Creighton gets an impact grad transfer in Rice's Connor Cashaw. The 6-foot-5 wing averaged 15.5 PPG, 7.1 RPG this past season for the Owls. Shooting % arent great but he was high usage at Rice. He rebounds well and has a great assist:TO ratio and was captain of the Rice team. Childhood friends with Jalen Brunson. Nice get this late in the game.

Congrats..... he will contribute for sure.
Novachap

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Even better stats vs P5/NCAA tournament schools last year (4 games)

Cashaw averaged 20.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 4.3 assists with 41-46-84 shooting splits in four games against Power Conference/NCAA Tournament teams last season. Quality pick-up for the #Jays with organized workouts just getting started for the summer.
Jet915

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Cayman's Classic matchups are out. Creighton v Boise St, poss 2nd round tilt vs St Bonnies - go Bonnies!
Poss Clemson or Georgia if they make the finals.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Canadian 4 star, AJ Lawson reclassed to 2018, official visit to Creighton on Monday. Seal the Deal...

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

AJ Lawson, top 50ish player from 2019 reclassifying for 2018 down to Creighton, Tulane and South Carolina.

Interesting quotes:

Lawson continued, “I think picking the right style of play would be another major priority that I want in a school because I need to play in a system where I can be me and do what I’m capable of doing, which is playing fast. Also, a place where I could call home and be comfortable with my teammates.”

Style of play obviously helps us but USC and their family connections helps them.....man, getting him would totally change the outlook for the season, he's a gamechanger.

http://northpolehoops.com/2018/06/22/aj-lawson-deciding-creighton-south-carolina-tulane/#QzrLPqO4H1GZUTMf.99
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board