Non-BIG EAST NCAA tournament game discussion

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non-BIG EAST NCAA tournament game discussion

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:24 am

The fact that Loyola has made the Final Four and schools like Nevada made the Elite 8 just goes to show that single-elimination tournaments can be very random and make no sense. Look at UMBC. It should not be the only barometer to measure a team. For example, X disappointed but they had a fantastic season overall. I hate how pundits will act like they're pretenders as a 1 seed. The reason people love this tourney is because anything can happen. Also, I wouldn't worry about the F5 breaking away for their own tourney, because the UMBC's and Loyola's are what make it amazing.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby novahoops11 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 am

LOL at this pic, he wants to trip somebody so bad he can taste it....

"Sweep the leg....No mercy.....Yes Sensei...."
novahoops11

Postby cu blujs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 am

No doubt the guy has been a grade A asshat, and I am happy as heck that shot didn't go in. But I do think he has matured a great deal in the past year and was far less about the drama and far more about just being a really smart, hard-nosed basketball player.
cu blujs

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 am

cu blujs wrote:No doubt the guy has been a grade A asshat, and I am happy as heck that shot didn't go in. But I do think he has matured a great deal in the past year and was far less about the drama and far more about just being a really smart, hard-nosed basketball player.

This is how much he's "matured" over the past year. This is from a game less than 3 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFy9LKN55I
Irishdawg

Postby cu blujs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Irishdawg wrote:
cu blujs wrote:No doubt the guy has been a grade A asshat, and I am happy as heck that shot didn't go in. But I do think he has matured a great deal in the past year and was far less about the drama and far more about just being a really smart, hard-nosed basketball player.

This is how much he's "matured" over the past year. This is from a game less than 3 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFy9LKN55I

Yeah, well, I didn't say he's become an angel. Still, he has been way more in control of himself this year. I predict he's going to become a guy that those Euro fans love if he's on their team and hate when he's on someone else's team.
cu blujs

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:The fact that Loyola has made the Final Four and schools like Nevada made the Elite 8 just goes to show that single-elimination tournaments can be very random and make no sense. Look at UMBC. It should not be the only barometer to measure a team. For example, X disappointed but they had a fantastic season overall. I hate how pundits will act like they're pretenders as a 1 seed. The reason people love this tourney is because anything can happen. Also, I wouldn't worry about the F5 breaking away for their own tourney, because the UMBC's and Loyola's are what make it amazing.

I agree that single elimination tournaments can be random, that anything can happen, and that they shouldn’t be the only barometer to measure a team. Well said.

As random as the stroke of fate can be, I like the fact that the tournament can reveal a team for what it is for all those of us who hadn’t previously noticed - as it did for Butler coming out of the Horizon League back in 2010-11. The randomness is in the loss by a better team to an inferior team. Those losses happen randomly during the regular season, but they don’t end anyone’s season as they do in the tournament. OTOH, there’s nothing random about a run to the Finals - especially when it’s validated by a repeat the following season as in Butler’s case.

IMO any run to the Final 4 has to be treated with respect - especially when it’s accomplished by a lower seed since they aren’t handed any gimme’s on their way there. Loyola has beaten 9-7-6-3, not a double figure seed in the bunch. They’ve won because they play really well as a team. Five of their top 6 players are upper classmen who have been playing together for at least 3 years and a couple of whom have been playing together since grammar school. They’re proving that in the right situation, maturity, development, and chemistry has advantages just as much as having 5 McD’s AA’s if the latter are inexperienced.

One thing that we all love about this tournament is the opportunity for upsets and for runs by an underdog. The fact that every conference champion gets invited means that everyone has chance to show what they can do in this tournament. Defeating MVC competition won’t yield the same power numbers as winning in a power conference schedule will. But the tournament reveals who teams are, and that a Loyola is a better team than the numbers told us they were.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Doubtful. They graduate 3 of their best players and the two others could grad transfer if they're in academic standing. Given the years of the roster I think Moser is setting Loyola up to be an every 3-4yr powerhouse rather than consistent success.

Just curious for our Xavier and Creighton fans, is there any resentment? I mean Loyola has made 6 NCAA appearances and is now getting their second final four.

No resentment, Loyola-type runs are part of what makes March great. It is in my mind the best run I can remember since George Mason.

VCU was also an 11 seed. Butler was an 8 seed that year. Having 2 low seeds in the same tournament in the final 4 was pretty special.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm

cu blujs wrote:Yeah, well, I didn't say he's become an angel. Still, he has been way more in control of himself this year. I predict he's going to become a guy that those Euro fans love if he's on their team and hate when he's on someone else's team.

Perfect example of why it's too risky to not enter the draft when in doubt. He could've been a 1st round pick 2 years ago.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm

kayako wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Yeah, well, I didn't say he's become an angel. Still, he has been way more in control of himself this year. I predict he's going to become a guy that those Euro fans love if he's on their team and hate when he's on someone else's team.

Perfect example of why it's too risky to not enter the draft when in doubt. He could've been a 1st round pick 2 years ago.

yeah, and maybe even a lottery pick after his freshman year when he was a huge reason why they won the title game.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board