Thoughts on your draw?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Thoughts on your draw?

Postby eye of the jay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to have these expectations for BE teams in the tourney:
4 onto the Round of 32
3 into the Sweet 16
2 into the Elite 8
1 into the Final Four

Sure it may not be statistically probable but think one of the 8 or 10 seeds can spring a 2nd round upset. X and Nova don’t really have a murderers row to the Elite 8 and one of them should break through to the final four. We’ll get even more national respect if that happens.
eye of the jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm

eye of the jay wrote:Don’t think it’s unreasonable to have these expectations for BE teams in the tourney:
4 onto the Round of 32
3 into the Sweet 16
2 into the Elite 8
1 into the Final Four

Sure it may not be statistically probable but think one of the 8 or 10 seeds can spring a 2nd round upset. X and Nova don’t really have a murderers row to the Elite 8 and one of them should break through to the final four. We’ll get even more national respect if that happens.

Vegas likes everyone except Providence in the first round. After this round, only Xavier and Villanova will be favored unless there are some pretty big upsets in the first round.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby thebigeXpress » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 am

One of my suitemates from Xavier made a pretty novel t-shirt from the ole A10 days and it sold like crazy: Xavier...An NCAA Tourney Team Dayton...An NCAA Tourney Site.
thebigeXpress

Postby BEXU » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Zags got lucky there at the end with some homer calls. Not the same team as last year but then if X plays them, they'll hit 25 3's.
BEXU

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 am

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:Not if Buzz Williams and my Hokies have anything to say about it...

BTW, Buzz had this to say...

"I shouldn't have had the towel in my hand, I think that made it look worse," Williams said. "I thought it was a block. John Cal, who I've known forever was at the game. He told me later that it was the charge. So, he said it was the right call."

It kind of reminds me of the Temple coach who allegedly didn't mean to strike the water bottle earlier in the season.

https://twitter.com/OhVarsity/status/949127980915314688
supernova
kayako

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 am

kayako wrote:BTW, Buzz had this to say...

"I shouldn't have had the towel in my hand, I think that made it look worse," Williams said. "I thought it was a block. John Cal, who I've known forever was at the game. He told me later that it was the charge. So, he said it was the right call."

It kind of reminds me of the Temple coach who allegedly didn't mean to strike the water bottle earlier in the season.

Honestly, I don't have much of a reaction to what happened. I didn't like the call in real time and was upset too, but upon replay it was the right call. I think anyone who has watched Buzz knows he's an emotional guy, and they certainly got the best of him in that moment. Given the time it happened in the game, it might have seemed like a crucial flub since we were only down 4, but we had little to no momentum at that point anyway.

Credit to Alabama... Petty kept them in the game during the first half with his hot shooting, they turned up the defense in the second half and made life very difficult for us, plus Sexton made some really tough shots down the stretch. Frustrating result, but Alabama was the better team last night. In a lot of ways, that game encapsulated the season for us and showed every facet of our team in 40 minutes. Hot shooting in the 1st half, go cold in the second... play great defense for 25 seconds, but leave their best shooter open at the end of the clock... Blackshear shows he can be an offensive force, but makes bone-headed fouls that keep him from playing the minutes we needed... I could go on, but you get the point.

Interestingly, when Buzz showed up at Virginia Tech, the stated goal was always to make the tournament in Year 4. We actually did it a year ahead of schedule in Year 3 because we were able to take advantage of a relatively easy ACC schedule. This year, when we had a tougher schedule, we repeated the task. I think next year should be even better, as we only graduate 2 players from this team in Bibbs & Wilson. We also had two guys sit this year for various reasons who we thought would make contributions (Outlaw, our best 3-pt shooter, tore his ACL & Sy, a big who would have backed up Blackshear, declared a transfer but came back in the middle of the season), plus we bring in a top 100 wing in Landers Nolley.

Disappointing end to the season, but the future seems bright in Blacksburg.
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
kayako wrote:BTW, Buzz had this to say...

Honestly, I don't have much of a reaction to what happened. I didn't like the call in real time and was upset too, but upon replay it was the right call. I think anyone who has watched Buzz knows he's an emotional guy, and they certainly got the best of him in that moment. Given the time it happened in the game, it might have seemed like a crucial flub since we were only down 4, but we had little to no momentum at that point anyway.

Credit to Alabama... Petty kept them in the game during the first half with his hot shooting, they turned up the defense in the second half and made life very difficult for us, plus Sexton made some really tough shots down the stretch. Frustrating result, but Alabama was the better team last night. In a lot of ways, that game encapsulated the season for us and showed every facet of our team in 40 minutes. Hot shooting in the 1st half, go cold in the second... play great defense for 25 seconds, but leave their best shooter open at the end of the clock... Blackshear shows he can be an offensive force, but makes bone-headed fouls that keep him from playing the minutes we needed... I could go on, but you get the point.

Interestingly, when Buzz showed up at Virginia Tech, the stated goal was always to make the tournament in Year 4. We actually did it a year ahead of schedule in Year 3 because we were able to take advantage of a relatively easy ACC schedule. This year, when we had a tougher schedule, we repeated the task. I think next year should be even better, as we only graduate 2 players from this team in Bibbs & Wilson. We also had two guys sit this year for various reasons who we thought would make contributions (Outlaw, our best 3-pt shooter, tore his ACL & Sy, a big who would have backed up Blackshear, declared a transfer but came back in the middle of the season), plus we bring in a top 100 wing in Landers Nolley.

Disappointing end to the season, but the future seems bright in Blacksburg.

I can't help but root against Buzz no matter the game.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

DudeAnon wrote:I can't help but root against Buzz no matter the game.

I might be more pragmatic about it than most, but I can understand that sentiment nor do I begrudge anyone who does. I can completely understand how his antics would annoy opposing fanbases. I get a laugh sometimes how much he moves up & down the court and how he's almost a 6th defender at times on the sideline. I pointed it out to my wife last night and she thought it was funny too. You know the cliche of the player everyone loves if he's on their team, but hates if he's on the opposing team? I feel like that's Buzz to a tee, just from the coaching side.

I've told VT fans I know to enjoy the ride while he's here, since he's already shown when he leaves there's going to be very few signs that it's coming. I'm sure he'll break a lot of hearts when he eventually does leave. But hey, for now I'm enjoying the ride. For perspective, VT hasn't made the tournament in consecutive seasons since 1985-86. It's also only the second time it's ever been accomplished in program history. If we make the tourney next year, we're in uncharted territory.
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I can't help but root against Buzz no matter the game.

I might be more pragmatic about it than most, but I can understand that sentiment nor do I begrudge anyone who does. I can completely understand how his antics would annoy opposing fanbases. I get a laugh sometimes how much he moves up & down the court and how he's almost a 6th defender at times on the sideline. I pointed it out to my wife last night and she thought it was funny too. You know the cliche of the player everyone loves if he's on their team, but hates if he's on the opposing team? I feel like that's Buzz to a tee, just from the coaching side.

I've told VT fans I know to enjoy the ride while he's here, since he's already shown when he leaves there's going to be very few signs that it's coming. I'm sure he'll break a lot of hearts when he eventually does leave. But hey, for now I'm enjoying the ride. For perspective, VT hasn't made the tournament in consecutive seasons since 1985-86. It's also only the second time it's ever been accomplished in program history. If we make the tourney next year, we're in uncharted territory.

I used to like him and still think hes a good basketball coach but I didn't respect how he bailed on Marquette and then went around saying the NBE was doomed to be a mid-major.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm with DudeAnon, used to like buzz but have no respect for how he bailed on Marquette and bashed the league on the way out.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board