NCAA Selection Sunday discussion

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Selection Sunday discussion

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Wasn't meant as a scouting report-just my silly-_ss opinion, of which I have many. Thanks for your informative inputs though.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Creighton/Virginia would be a totally interesting game with the contrast in styles....

avg poss length-
Creighton 15.1 on offense- #9 in the country
Virginia 18.7 on defense- #346 in the country(or #6 longest)

Virginia 20.9 on offense- #351 in country(or slowest)
Creighton 17.9 on defense- #280 in the country

shooting-
Creighton- 59.3% for 2's (#4), 37.6% for 3's (#53) 44.7% of shots as 3's
Virginia D- 42.2% for 2's (#3), 30.3% for 3's (#6), 40.5% of shots as 3's

you talk about one of the more intreaguing games we've seen. Virginia plays to only 59.2 poss per game while Creighton has 70.8. Creighton has had 10 games all year long with 70 or fewer poss. In those 10 games- went only 6-4(and only 1-2 in 71 poss games). Virginia had more than 65 poss only twice all year long.
stever20

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Wasn't meant as a scouting report-just my silly-_ss opinion, of which I have many. Thanks for your informative inputs though.

Fair play. I may have come across a little strong there.

For those who haven't watched UVA all that much this year, I can see how people are skeptical. But they are the real deal this year. In the regular season, they handily beat Rhode Island by 15, Davidson by 20, blew out VT in Blacksburg by 26, NC State by 17, Clemson by 25, Syracuse by 15. They've also won a number of close games. Heck, they went 31-2, 17-1 in the ACC.

I think people who don't watch a ton of ACC basketball still have a notion that UVA struggles on offense. Maybe if you only look at PPG (sub-300 in D-1)... but they're 21 in Kenpom's offensive efficiency rankings. They're very good at running their offense.
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Hey Hustle. Your posts are quite informative and educational. I (and probably others here) don't closely follow the ACC, although we know about Coach Buzz (Marquette) and Clark, Robinson, etc.; as we also recruited them. Your opinion and posts are welcome and valued. Thanks.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Virginia, not X will be the 1st 1-seed to fall. They sprint to cover the 3pter... They don't have much offense and use their good d to cover their weakness.
I think Creighton guns UVA down, and the Jays move to see UK/Ariz winner.

X is a tourney horse...they will not be surprised by anyone, regardless of Mr. Greene's opinion. All the teams mentioned also have glaring weaknesses as well and X has had an amazing luck factor this year, plus the ability to win even when their game is off. Go Xavier.

That might be one of the silliest scouting reports of UVA I've seen in a long time. And this is coming from a VT fan who can't stand the Wahoos.

UVA had the SIXTH-BEST 3-pt defense in the country this year. They close out 3-pt shots extremely well, and they've got length. As far as offense goes, it's not that they don't have much offense... it's just that they play a style that values great shots over more shots. They have four guys that play significant minutes who are very good to great three point shooters (Devon Hunter - 38.2%, Ty Jerome - 38.9%, Kyle Guy - 39.5%, Devon Hall - 45.2%).

Agree. I might add that they also don’t beat themselves because they pay attention to the little things. They almost never turn the ball over (fewest TO in NCAA) and they are all very good free throw shooters (3 over 83% and 3 more over 75%). Little things like these combined with their 3rd best in the country FG% defense. I expect them to break through to the Final Four this year, where they will lose to Villanova. ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby BEXU » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Of more significance than the return of Porter, who really hasn’t played with this team all year, is that missing against Florida State will be Jordan Barnett, a senior and Missouri’s #2 scorer, #2 rebounder, and best free throw shooter. I don’t expect them to get past Florida State.

I agree. Porter jr was 5/17 in his last start and had a serious back injury which takes time to get over. I suspect he will not be 100% against X if they do beat FSU, but I really don't think they can get by FSU without Barnett. Porter Jr is going to have to play some big minutes against FSU.
BEXU

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Virginia, not X will be the 1st 1-seed to fall. They sprint to cover the 3pter... They don't have much offense and use their good d to cover their weakness.
I think Creighton guns UVA down, and the Jays move to see UK/Ariz winner.

X is a tourney horse...they will not be surprised by anyone, regardless of Mr. Greene's opinion. All the teams mentioned also have glaring weaknesses as well and X has had an amazing luck factor this year, plus the ability to win even when their game is off. Go Xavier.

That might be one of the silliest scouting reports of UVA I've seen in a long time. And this is coming from a VT fan who can't stand the Wahoos.

UVA had the SIXTH-BEST 3-pt defense in the country this year. They close out 3-pt shots extremely well, and they've got length. As far as offense goes, it's not that they don't have much offense... it's just that they play a style that values great shots over more shots. They have four guys that play significant minutes who are very good to great three point shooters (Devon Hunter - 38.2%, Ty Jerome - 38.9%, Kyle Guy - 39.5%, Devon Hall - 45.2%).

Quoting myself here so that I can eat crow.

gtmoBlue was absolutely right in his assessment in how the game played out, I’m just not sure anybody saw it happening in Round 1. The injury to DeAndre Hunter before he tourney was huge apparently, and UVA only used 7 guys tonight. They’ve been a good shooting time most of the year, but they picked the worst possible time to go ice cold.

ACC looking very meh in the tourney so far.
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:gtmoBlue was absolutely right in his assessment in how the game played out, I’m just not sure anybody saw it happening in Round 1. The injury to DeAndre Hunter before he tourney was huge apparently, and UVA only used 7 guys tonight. They’ve been a good shooting time most of the year, but they picked the worst possible time to go ice cold.

I keep saying this over and over again, you expose yourself to upsets by playing at Virginia's pace. It's happened to Nova as well.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board