Checking in at the AAC championship

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Checking in at the AAC championship

Postby EMT » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
EMT wrote:
1. There was never a rivalry.

I think it's pretty obvious why I used the quotes. Some of you insist in posting about a league that is not nearly as relevant as the Big East. So why all the marketing effort and all the attention?

2. As long as AAC fans troll here, I will point these things out.

I don't get the approach. You expect the trolls to go away when you in effect are also trolling?

3. Pictures like that never get old.

4. I'll never get past shitting on the American.

Just get over it man. I would even prefer if you crap on other major conferences like the Pac-12/ACC/SEC that compete with the Big East. Raise the bar on the trolling

Sorry man... Too much fun.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread, but Tulsa's AD, basketball coach, and football coach all took voluntary pay cuts this year.

Specific numbers aren’t known, but recent budget cuts have affected all aspects of TU’s operation. In an effort to avoid a reduction in services for student-athletes, Gragg said, Hurricane football coach Philip Montgomery, men’s basketball coach Frank Haith and Gragg himself all have accepted pay cuts.

At the major-college level, this could be unprecedented — that a football coach, men’s basketball coach and an AD simultaneously and willingly absorbed salary reductions for the sake of the greater good of a money-starved school’s sports programs.

“Basically, the budget reductions to me are a microcosm of what’s going on, not just at TU but across the country at a lot of different places,” Gragg said. “We’re like a lot of other athletic departments — we’ve been asked to tighten our belt.

Aresco reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

TU also is hopeful that the next American Athletic Conference television deal is more lucrative. At the end of the 2016-17 college sports calendar, the Orlando Sentinel reported, South Florida received the most significant share at $8.9 million. TU’s share was $4.9 million.

The AAC’s current television deal expires in two years. Conference officials are preparing for the next negotiation of a contract that would take effect with the start of the 2020 football season.

We’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Sentinel in June. “It’s a throwback to that five-year-ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable, and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference, and now it’s a question of (making) sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ ... 65987.html
admin
Site Admin

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Of course this gets bumped the day I proclaim on the other board that the AAC rarely gets mentioned around here anymore. Thanks a lot, fellas...

GoldenWarrior11

Postby admin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Of course this gets bumped the day I proclaim on the other board that the AAC rarely gets mentioned around here anymore. Thanks a lot, fellas...
[/img]

Trust me, I had second thoughts but I believe this could be the first domino for a lot of mid-major programs and leagues who will see funding sources dry up.

AD: "You mean we can decrease salaries? Great idea".

Time will tell.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 am

“We’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Sentinel in June. “It’s a throwback to that five-year-ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable, and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference, and now it’s a question of (making) sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going.”

Isn't completely the opposite true? The fact that the AAC had an undefeated team beat an SEC team in the bowl game and not even get a legitimate sniff at the national championship indicates to me that they are not "a nationally relevant and respected conference". If the league really believes that they are going to land a massive TV deal for football, I suspect they are strongly mistaken.
ArmyVet

Postby ProprietyofLeyluken » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm

admin wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Of course this gets bumped the day I proclaim on the other board that the AAC rarely gets mentioned around here anymore. Thanks a lot, fellas...
[/img]

Trust me, I had second thoughts but I believe this could be the first domino for a lot of mid-major programs and leagues who will see funding sources dry up.

AD: "You mean we can decrease salaries? Great idea".

Time will tell.

This is interesting.

At the same time the AAC just hired Danny Hurley (UConn), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), Aaron McKie (Temple), and Joe Dooley (ECU). The staffs these coaches have put together have turned some heads. Dooley just hired away Virginia Tech's Associate HC Steve Roccaforte and Raphael Chillious, formerly of Villanova and UConn. There has to be some fundage available to be making these moves.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 8100806656
ProprietyofLeyluken

Postby DeltaV » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
“We’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Sentinel in June. “It’s a throwback to that five-year-ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable, and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference, and now it’s a question of (making) sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going.”

Isn't completely the opposite true? The fact that the AAC had an undefeated team beat an SEC team in the bowl game and not even get a legitimate sniff at the national championship indicates to me that they are not "a nationally relevant and respected conference". If the league really believes that they are going to land a massive TV deal for football, I suspect they are strongly mistaken.

The AAC is kinda like the independent movie industry. It isn't that they don't make good films...just that no one cares, because they'd rather see the big names, even if it is garbage.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Xudash » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Baghdad Bob was a hoot!

He was like Kevin Bacon in Animal House - "all is well!"

Aresco's press conferences moving forward should always involve smoke and fire puffing up behind him.

Seriously, think about how much each of our schools make with basketball as the flagship sport, then consider an athletic department operating with football and marching bands that only brings in < $5mm per year.

Under siege.
XAVIER
Xudash

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board