Big East Championship on FOX 3/10/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Championship on FOX 3/10/18

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 am

The morning after, I’m still going through all the stages of grief. I really thought the Friars had that game. In denial, I woke up this morning thinking they had won it. When I realized they hadn’t, I moved into anger, reliving the no-call on the mugging of Diallo, with Nova being given the ball as the refs added insult to injury. And I’m a guy who preaches don’t complain about the refs, but that play was a game changer at that point. I’m mad that Lindsey choked in the biggest game of his life. I wish that Cooley had given more minutes to Watson who seems to be able to score at will inside. They especially could have used him late when baskets were so hard to come by.

It was a great game, fitting for a Big East Final. Both teams played tough, tough, tough. But, man, it really hurts.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

Bill Marsh wrote:It was a great game, fitting for a Big East Final. Both teams played tough, tough, tough. But, man, it really hurts.

The Big East might be the only conference where many fans would trade an NCAA tournament win for a conference tournament title.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 am

Toronto Rapture wrote:Absolutely great game. I also wanna give props to Fox on the overall presentation and coverage; it was excellent from beginning to end even at the end with the tootsie roll. :lol:

I'm just rewatching the pregame show and I loved Rob Stone's "Broadway worthy star power tonight" comment.

He ddn't stop there, just minutes later saying "the biggest show in big apple tonight" lol
supernova
kayako

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 am

Last night was amazing. Everything the fans could have hoped for in a Big East championship game. I loved the intensity from both teams, I loved the huge passionate crowd, and I especially loved the Fox broadcast that included direct and indirect slams to our competitor.

This league is just incredibly entertaining to watch continue to grow. Every year, there are individuals - posters here, national commentators, rival broadcast channels, etc. - that continue to proclaim that the Big East has reached its highest point, and it is inevitable that the league will take steps back. Not only has that not happened, but it continues to challenge to be the very best basketball conference in the country.

I look forward to the day that Marquette returns to its top-form and can challenge for a Big East Championship. Until then, however, I will continue to root for our top teams that represent our league with class, competitiveness and talent that is as good (and better) than anyone else in the country.

Friars, keep your head up. I would not want to play you guys in any round of any tournament. You will not be an easy out at all.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby kmacker69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Last night was amazing. Everything the fans could have hoped for in a Big East championship game. I loved the intensity from both teams, I loved the huge passionate crowd, and I especially loved the Fox broadcast that included direct and indirect slams to our competitor.

This league is just incredibly entertaining to watch continue to grow. Every year, there are individuals - posters here, national commentators, rival broadcast channels, etc. - that continue to proclaim that the Big East has reached its highest point, and it is inevitable that the league will take steps back. Not only has that not happened, but it continues to challenge to be the very best basketball conference in the country.

I look forward to the day that Marquette returns to its top-form and can challenge for a Big East Championship. Until then, however, I will continue to root for our top teams that represent our league with class, competitiveness and talent that is as good (and better) than anyone else in the country.

Friars, keep your head up. I would not want to play you guys in any round of any tournament. You will not be an easy out at all.

Would have been tough to watch either team lose last night if they were my team.

As to the refs: Why in the hell did they have frickin' dumbasss O'Connell refing in the championship game! :shock: :roll: :oops: He is bad in general, but makes obvious out of position calls and inserts himself in games all the time! He does it both ways and it's luck of the drawl if it helps or hurts you! (It always feels like it's at the worst time when he does it to you!) ;)

Other than that it was great! Friars did look like they're legs got tired after 3 ot games in 3 nights, not to make excuses for them, but that would wear ya down.

Now lets go do some damage in the NCAA's! I'll root for y'all until we meet back up! (Yes even X... :P )
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

Yes, the Friars just had an incredible run through the tournament. Three straight overtime games. Taking the best team in the country into OT after they won their 2 previous tournament games by a combined 43 points. I just hope they have enough left in the tank to show the rest of the country what Big East toughness means.
Bill Marsh

Postby American X » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Congratulations, Wildcats. I will not be surprised to see you hoist another trophy in a few weeks.
American X

Postby EMT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:The morning after, I’m still going through all the stages of grief. I really thought the Friars had that game. In denial, I woke up this morning thinking they had won it. When I realized they hadn’t, I moved into anger, reliving the no-call on the mugging of Diallo, with Nova being given the ball as the refs added insult to injury. And I’m a guy who preaches don’t complain about the refs, but that play was a game changer at that point. I’m mad that Lindsey choked in the biggest game of his life. I wish that Cooley had given more minutes to Watson who seems to be able to score at will inside. They especially could have used him late when baskets were so hard to come by.

It was a great game, fitting for a Big East Final. Both teams played tough, tough, tough. But, man, it really hurts.

We were all saying that too about Watson/Lindsey. Can't get too mad at Cooley because the Drew Edwards move actually turned the game around. But Watson has proved to be unstoppable on the block and I have to think he grabs one or two rebounds.

Diallo call was terrible.
EMT

Postby EMT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Can't stand Prov & Cooley...and their sense of self entitlement, BUT, they're playing Nova.
The enemy of my enemy...
Go Friars!

After today my BE hat gets put back on. Cheerleading in the dance.

Can you elaborate on this?
EMT

Postby scoscox » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 pm

kmacker69 wrote:As to the refs: Why in the hell did they have frickin' dumbasss O'Connell refing in the championship game! :shock: :roll: :oops: He is bad in general, but makes obvious out of position calls and inserts himself in games all the time! He does it both ways and it's luck of the drawl if it helps or hurts you! (It always feels like it's at the worst time when he does it to you!) ;)
)

If O'Connell is the old, white-haired guy, I agree. He is absolutely awful.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board