Kevin Ollie is gone

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Kevin Ollie is gone

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:03 pm

UConn is using the alleged wrongdoing to oust Ollie and save $10 million. "The thing is " they have to prove the allegations without FBI documents. Ollie's attorneys will roast UConn. The school will end up paying Ollie his money.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby American X » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I bet Mack can get a sweet mansion from one of those hedge fund managers abandoning Connecticut for tax purposes.
American X

Postby Irishdawg » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 pm

This could get ugly. The UConn Athletic department is in bad financial shape, and they're likely hoping this can get to arbitration so they don't have to pay Ollie the $10 million he's owed. The bad thing for them is until this gets cleared up and they know how much they have to pay Ollie, they really can't seriously negotiate with a candidate. If they wind up having to pay most or all of that buyout, they're going to have a tough time getting anyone desirable to their fan base.
Irishdawg

Postby alduflux » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Are any Big East coaches poach-able for UCONN?
alduflux

Postby herodotus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 pm

alduflux wrote:Are any Big East coaches poach-able for UCONN?

Dave Leitao!
herodotus

Postby billyjack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:01 am

Irishdawg wrote:This could get ugly. The UConn Athletic department is in bad financial shape, and they're likely hoping this can get to arbitration so they don't have to pay Ollie the $10 million he's owed. The bad thing for them is until this gets cleared up and they know how much they have to pay Ollie, they really can't seriously negotiate with a candidate. If they wind up having to pay most or all of that buyout, they're going to have a tough time getting anyone desirable to their fan base.

Great point. UConn is kind of pinned until the Ollie thing gets settled.

Maybe 75 year old Jim Calhoun could come in to steady the program for a couple of years. Basically like Bud Grant returning to the Vikings after the Les Steckel 1984 disaster (any old-tyme NFL Norris Division fans here?). Calhoun is keeping busy at D-3 St Joseph’s in metro Hartford.

Can't see Danny Hurley going there.
Crean and Matta are Midwest guys.
Donyell Marshall is at CCSU.
Cluess at Iona.
The Vermont guy.
The Mount St Mary's guy.
Funny, Leitao is in the Calhoun coaching tree as we all know.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 am

I would be shocked - regardless of UConn's financial situation - if Calhoun was rehired (even on an interim basis). Calhoun is 75, soon to be 76 this summer. I have sincere doubts that he would be able to be flying around the country, attending elite camps, going on the road recruiting, in addition to handling day-to-day responsibilities and coaching the team. Having said that, it would not be out of the realm of possibility, especially considering UConn athletics was forced to rehire Edsall for football - and not because he experienced success after he left UConn - but because he was a person familiar with the program that was willing to work for cheap.

The financial problems plaguing UConn are real. It's the main reason they are pursuing the just cause firing for Ollie. It would not be shocking if UConn itself leaked the reports of allegations, in hopes of getting themselves out his the large buyout.

BY is convinced Dan Hurley is the guy. Hurley is currently getting around $1 million per year under his new deal at RI. It will be over $1.2 by the end of the deal. Ollie was getting $2.8 million per year at UConn. If it is determined he was fired without cause - and it can certainly be argued otherwise, since the school has been on record highlighting the team's academic improvements and off-court issues - they will be on the hook for $10 million. It is also my understanding he was included as part of the UConn Faculty Union (which would strongly indicate this will not go away swiftly and/or quietly).

The following coaches should be looked at as candidates, IMO: Hurley, Ed Cooley, Tim Cluess, Joe Dooley, and Nate Oats.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I would be shocked - regardless of UConn's financial situation - if Calhoun was rehired (even on an interim basis). Calhoun is 75, soon to be 76 this summer. I have sincere doubts that he would be able to be flying around the country, attending elite camps, going on the road recruiting, in addition to handling day-to-day responsibilities and coaching the team. Having said that, it would not be out of the realm of possibility, especially considering UConn athletics was forced to rehire Edsall for football - and not because he experienced success after he left UConn - but because he was a person familiar with the program that was willing to work for cheap.

The financial problems plaguing UConn are real. It's the main reason they are pursuing the just cause firing for Ollie. It would not be shocking if UConn itself leaked the reports of allegations, in hopes of getting themselves out his the large buyout.

BY is convinced Dan Hurley is the guy. Hurley is currently getting around $1 million per year under his new deal at RI. It will be over $1.2 by the end of the deal. Ollie was getting $2.8 million per year at UConn. If it is determined he was fired without cause - and it can certainly be argued otherwise, since the school has been on record highlighting the team's academic improvements and off-court issues - they will be on the hook for $10 million. It is also my understanding he was included as part of the UConn Faculty Union (which would strongly indicate this will not go away swiftly and/or quietly).

The following coaches should be looked at as candidates, IMO: Hurley, Ed Cooley, Tim Cluess, Joe Dooley, and Nate Oats.

Ignored in all the rumors about Calhoun coming back is that he’s the guy who got them into this mess to begin with.

1. Calhoun’s poor health in the latter part of his career had him repeatedly missing portions of seasons. I’m sure it limited his oversight of the program, which resulted in his assistants running amuck.

2. It was Calhoun who left the program on probation, which resulted in 4 former starters bailing on the program for premature exits to the NBA or transferring to other colleges. Ollie pulled off a miracle by holding the program together in year one and winning the NC in year 2.

3. It was Calhoun who had the program in such terrible shape academically that it failed to meet the APR requirements.

4. It was Calhoun’s staff who committed NCAA recruiting violations with excessive phone calls to potential recruits.

5. It was Calhoun who selfishly retired in late August, leaving the university with no other choice but to appoint his handpicked successor as the coach. He’s the one who’s responsible for Kevin Ollie being there in the first place. If Ollie was a mistake, the mistake was Calhoun’s.

After all this, Jim Calhoun is the one who’s going to fix the problem? At 76, he suddenly has sufficient health to run a major college program? It would be the height of ego and unmitigated selfishness for him to come back to take over a program that he couldn’t adequately manage in his declining years. UConn would be wise to look elsewhere.

As for Danny Hurley, I personally have no idea why he would want to take over this program which lacks both the institutional supports and the conference affiliation to return to its glory days. With a much slimmer resume, his brother jumped from Buffalo to Arizona State. I would expect to see a similar move by Danny. The Pitt job is open and would make perfect sense for him. He’s the hottest mid major coach in the country. If not Pitt, he would jump to the top of the list for any other P6 opening. So, why UConn?

John Becker is the guy who makes the most sense to me. He’s a native of Connecticut, has been a successful head coach in New England and has built relationships up and down the East Coast. Moving from UVM to UConn would be a natural next step.
Bill Marsh

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I like Becker as a candidate as well, Bill. The most important hurdle for UConn is finding the right fit, not the hottest name.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm

alduflux wrote:Are any Big East coaches poach-able for UCONN?

None. But I think Pitino is looking for a job!
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board