Honest Question

The home for Big East hoops

Honest Question

Postby mcnaug167 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 pm

The refs went to the monitor on this for 3 minutes, and ruled it creighton ball. There was less than 2 minutes left in a one possession game. Is this the worst call you've ever seen?

https://twitter.com/BradKelly17/status/ ... 6168957952
mcnaug167

Honest Question

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Honest Question

Postby kmacker69 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:55 pm

I kept saying to my wife, why are they still looking at the Foster touched it while he was out of bounds and it was still in play?!?!? Was a dumb call, but even with the monitor review they still screwed it up? :shock:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby hoops22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 pm

I couldn't believe the review was taking so long, since it seemed so obvious. Unbelieveable they still got it wrong. Could have easily turned out costing Providence the game and possibly even a bid in the NCAA tournament.
hoops22

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 am

This was bad, and is a prime example for all those anti “technological advancements in sports” people, and understandably so. I’m not one of those people, but this was a situation where it’s much easier to look back after the game at the replay and just accept the fact that the red made a mistake rather than go to the monitors for 10 minutes and STILL get it wrong. The refs were SO consumed with looking at the standard slo-mo replays of the ball deflecting off of Thomas’s/Jackson’s hand from every angle that they forgot to watch the whole play, and also forgot, you know, the whole rule that the ball has to BE out of bounds before you can call it out of bounds.

Another easy argument those anti-tech people can make is that if they’re going to use video replay to determine calls, it has to be clear and conclusive to overturn the call. If the refs are going to act like Kyhri Thomas never went after the ball the play just ended with the ball tipping off of Thomas/Jackson and out of bounds, the call on the floor was Providence ball. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO pieces of conclusive evidence that the ball definitively went off Providence on any angle. One angle looks like it’s clearly off Creighton, another looks like Prov’s finger clearly grazed it last, another angle looked like Creighton touched it and Prov’s finger bent that way due to contact with another player, not the ball. No matter what, none of the replays showed clear and conclusive evidence enough to overturn what the ref saw in real time, which was PC ball.
Friarsfan94

Return to Big East basketball message board