St. John's Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's Review

Postby kmacker69 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm

adoraz wrote:The big 4 starters need to return. Clark, Ponds, Simon, Owens. I expect them to but definitely not a guarantee.

Add a year and some depth and the team could be a Top 25 team.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arses when they jumped! :shock: :lol: Just messing with ya! :P Strides were made, but it's hard to turn around a culture. Mentally the losing has set in and it will take more than a year to turn that around. I hope that you joint the muddled middle next year, but top 25 is a little bit of an over expectation. :o I think y'all will be fighting for an NCAA berth with 4-6 other teams that will also be getting a little better and a little step back. Should be fun if you keep the core! :P
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 pm

kmacker69 wrote:
adoraz wrote:The big 4 starters need to return. Clark, Ponds, Simon, Owens. I expect them to but definitely not a guarantee.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arses when they jumped! :shock: :lol: Just messing with ya! :P Strides were made, but it's hard to turn around a culture. Mentally the losing has set in and it will take more than a year to turn that around. I hope that you joint the muddled middle next year, but top 25 is a little bit of an over expectation. :o I think y'all will be fighting for an NCAA berth with 4-6 other teams that will also be getting a little better and a little step back. Should be fun if you keep the core! :P

What culture? New kids come in every year who haven’t been part of the losing. These kids who knocked off Villanova, Duke, Butler, Marquette, and MAAC champs Iona certainly don’t think of themselves as losers.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 pm

totally agree with you on it not being a guarantee. Tough to say anyone is a lock to return just because college basketball(and sports in general) are just so transient.
stever20

Postby kmacker69 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Definition of culture
1 a : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time

popular culture

Southern culture

b : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization

a corporate culture focused on the bottom line

c : the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristic

studying the effect of computers on print culture

Don't understand then I can't explain it to you... It take years to build a winning culture!

Duke and Kentucky replace kids all the time, but the few who stick around set the culture of how things are done and they might have a few years where they don't win a lot, but they are always good and don't have losing seasons... Culture...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:08 am

I'm gonna miss Alibegovic. Assuming no surprise departures, I don't know if it's fair to demand a top 25 team, but I think they have a fair shot at an at-large bid. Top to bottom, I expect the conference to be closer than any seasons past since the realignment.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:43 am

kmacker69 wrote:Definition of culture
1 a : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time

popular culture

Southern culture

b : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization

c : the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristic

Don't understand then I can't explain it to you... It take years to build a winning culture!

Duke and Kentucky replace kids all the time, but the few who stick around set the culture of how things are done and they might have a few years where they don't win a lot, but they are always good and don't have losing seasons... Culture...

I understand culture very well. And I understand the culture of winning and losing programs.

But I also understand the culture can change much more quickly when there's turnover every year. and I also understand that wins and losses by themselves don't define a culture. The St John's team that I saw this year played hard every game despite injuries and a defection involving key players. They endured and persevered despite a brutal losing streak with a series of heart breaking close losses. They came out of that with their heads held high and the ability ton defeat some of the best teams in the country. That speaks to a winning culture, instilled by a coach who's been a winner all his life. This is not the Norm Roberts era when everyone expected them to lose no matter what anyone did. What I see is a culture that has already been rebuilt. We're just waiting for those efforts to bear fruit.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

popular culture

Southern culture

I understand culture very well. And I understand the culture of winning and losing programs.

But I also understand the culture can change much more quickly when there's turnover every year. and I also understand that wins and losses by themselves don't define a culture. The St John's team that I saw this year played hard every game despite injuries and a defection involving key players. They endured and persevered despite a brutal losing streak with a series of heart breaking close losses. They came out of that with their heads held high and the ability ton defeat some of the best teams in the country. That speaks to a winning culture, instilled by a coach who's been a winner all his life. This is not the Norm Roberts era when everyone expected them to lose no matter what anyone did. What I see is a culture that has already been rebuilt. We're just waiting for those efforts to bear fruit.

I agree completely. If there was a losing culture they would have rolled over like the Pitt team did.
NJRedman

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm

popular culture

Southern culture

What a condescending post. :roll:
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:50 pm

XUFan09 wrote:

popular culture

Southern culture

What a condescending post. :roll:

Sorry, wasn't meant to be, but this was the question I was addressing: "What culture? New kids come in every year who haven’t been part of the losing. These kids who knocked off Villanova, Duke, Butler, Marquette, and MAAC champs Iona certainly don’t think of themselves as losers."

Never said they were losers, just that it might be a stretch for a top 25 team next year after hanging at 50% this year. Takes time to turn things around. But yeah, I'm a Butler fan so it was obviously insulting and meant to put other schools down. :roll: ;) Hope to see St John's be better next year so that win or lose, it's a good win or loss for everyone in the conference when the NCAA Committee looks at it. But with the step up at the end of the year it was not longer a bad loss to St John's this year... ;) Someone has to lose though and the conference is really good! I hope it's X's turn to be the losers next year instead of St John's. ;) :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 am

SJUBBALL wrote:The Yakwe situation really confuses me. He went from a bench player to a guy that didnt play no matter what, and when we needed help when guys were in foul trouble, we went to a walk on before we went to Yakwe. What the hell happened.

Overall, next year the roster looks pretty good but I'm done with expectations because, to be honest, i was certain we were going to the tournament this year. And now that we didn't, its just depressing

Understandable, SJUBBALL.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board