*Marvin Clark
*Kassoum Yakwe
*Tariq Owens
*Shamorie Ponds
*Justin Simon
*Bryan Trimble

IN
*Mikey Dixon (Transfer from Quinnipiac)
*Sedee Keita (Transfer from South Carolina)
*Boubacar Diatke (Redshirted)
*Greg Williams
*Josh Roberts
*Marcellus Earlington

THOUGHTS
Ouch. What could have been. The Johnnies sure looked impressive early on and looked like at least a bubble team. But in conference play, they fell apart and had a lengthy losing streak. Then they pulled off two impossible wins over Duke and Nova. The talent was always there but it's unfortunate that they couldn't consistently put it together.

Fear not Johnnies fans, help is on the way! I think you're gaining more than losing next season with a talented class of HS recruits and transfers. Plus most of the core of the team returns too. Hopefully Mullin and the Johnnies can learn the lessons from this season and rebound next season.
OmahaGuy

St. John's Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: St. John's Review

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm

It looks like SJU will help their depth issues in a big way next season. They'll also operate from opening night with the understanding that Ponds is their go-to guy and Simon will probably be the #2 guy.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby bobpp1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Expecting St. Johns and the Hoyas to take it to another level next year. Hoping DePaul can get it going also. When teams improve it only makes the league better.
bobpp1

Postby hoops22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm

XUFan09 wrote:It looks like SJU will help their depth issues in a big way next season. They'll also operate from opening night with the understanding that Ponds is their go-to guy and Simon will probably be the #2 guy.

I have no inside knowledge, but wouldn't be surprised to see both Yakwe and Trimble transfer out. Still, the depth should be better next year than it was this season.
hoops22

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm

hoops22 wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:It looks like SJU will help their depth issues in a big way next season. They'll also operate from opening night with the understanding that Ponds is their go-to guy and Simon will probably be the #2 guy.

I have no inside knowledge, but wouldn't be surprised to see both Yakwe and Trimble transfer out. Still, the depth should be better next year than it was this season.

That would not be too surprising if it happened. Trimble earned decent minutes down the stretch but still had an absurdly low usage rate (8.6%). I've seen higher usage rates from privileged walk-ons. Meanwhile, Yakwe went from regular contributor to after-thought.
XUFan09

Postby SJUBBALL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

The Yakwe situation really confuses me. He went from a bench player to a guy that didnt play no matter what, and when we needed help when guys were in foul trouble, we went to a walk on before we went to Yakwe. What the hell happened.

Overall, next year the roster looks pretty good but I'm done with expectations because, to be honest, i was certain we were going to the tournament this year. And now that we didn't, its just depressing
SJUBBALL

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:The Yakwe situation really confuses me. He went from a bench player to a guy that didnt play no matter what, and when we needed help when guys were in foul trouble, we went to a walk on before we went to Yakwe. What the hell happened.

Overall, next year the roster looks pretty good but I'm done with expectations because, to be honest, i was certain we were going to the tournament this year. And now that we didn't, its just depressing

Not only that, but Yakwe was a 4-star recruit. The kid is a legitimate talent.

I wouldn't be discouraged. They made progress this year despite obstacles. that string of losses was filled with close calls and near misses. Next year could go in just the opposite direction.
Bill Marsh

Postby BEhomer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Yakwe no doubt is a head scratcher. He was the lone bright spot for Mullin's first year. grabbing boards and spectacular blocks. I thought for sure he would be a force at least on the board and on D next few years.

Maybe it's the injury but he lost that aggressiveness and just looked lost when he was out there this year. Not surprised at the lack of min. just puzzling how far he regressed.
BEhomer

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 pm

BEhomer wrote:Yakwe no doubt is a head scratcher. He was the lone bright spot for Mullin's first year. grabbing boards and spectacular blocks. I thought for sure he would be a force at least on the board and on D next few years.

Maybe it's the injury but he lost that aggressiveness and just looked lost when he was out there this year. Not surprised at the lack of min. just puzzling how far he regressed.

Yeah, it is really weird, especially since it's not like he was replaced with some elite talent.
XUFan09

Postby adoraz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 pm

The big 4 starters need to return. Clark, Ponds, Simon, Owens. I expect them to but definitely not a guarantee.

Add a year and some depth and the team could be a Top 25 team.
Johnnies
adoraz

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board