Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 am

Great win, let's see what happens with X today...such a crazy year and crazy conference. If we win today we 100% make the NIT. We may still even if we lose. It was funny hearing Ewing complaining to the refs not realizing he was clearly heard on the broadcast. "All game you haven't called that and now you're going to call that? S*itty!". Some of the fouls were laughable...glad it's over. G'Town has the bigs, they just need good guards and they can be a tourney team in the top 5 again. I agree we need St. John's and Georgetown to be top tier Big East teams. Glad to hear we got over 16k at the Garden. Just imagine if we were in Villanova's place. You wouldn't be able to get a ticket to any St. John's game. The announcers said something similar along the lines of "imagine how crazy the crowds would be with the Johnnies playing consistently good basketball year after year". With the Knicks never winning it would take over the city.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 am

Caught the second half of Johnnies vs Hoyas. Great action, a lot of running. Lot of lead changes til SJU opened a 5 pt lead with maybe 10 left. GU pulled to within a couple, but by the under 4 it was like an 8 pt Johnnie lead. St John's had few turnovers if any.

Besides Ponds, SJU had offense from Clark, but Simon in particular was mistake-free and had some great D and finishes at the hoop. Owens looked strong too. They need another good big man, cuz it's a big big dropoff to Alibegovic. I think that's SJU's biggest problem.

Georgetown played well. Derrickson drilled 6 threes and the Hoyas were shooting over 50% from deep. I'm not sure where they really went wrong. They were matching SJU but a couple of steals by Simon i think opened a slight lead which held. Dickerson fouled out on a charge mid to late 2nd which hurt.

If anyone missed the second game, it had a great finish.

Marquette had a 10 or so pt halftime lead on a Rowsey floater at the buzzer. Second half DePaul came out aggressively. Big foul discrepancy where DU was in the bonus early. Lead got chipped away at til it was tied with 5 minutes left. Rowsey nailed a 3, then stuck his foot or hip out and tripped Strus on his face, who was cutting thru the lane on the next possession, but no call. Anim hit a couple of huge shots late, might have pulled things back to 6. Strus hit a couple of 3's, cut it to 1. Trying to run out clock, Rowsey tried to recklessly dribble through halfcourt traffic, got it stolen.

10 seconds left, DePaul ball, Cain got doubled at top of the key, flipped it to Strus for a wide open 3, canot believe MU allowed that, but his shot missed and it was game over. Rowsey hit two free throws with under a second left.

Next year Marquette is going to be really good. Hauser, Anim, and Elliott, and Cain return with Howard. Rowsey is graduating, so MU's defense will see major major improvement.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Great win, let's see what happens with X today...such a crazy year and crazy conference. If we win today we 100% make the NIT. We may still even if we lose. It was funny hearing Ewing complaining to the refs not realizing he was clearly heard on the broadcast. "All game you haven't called that and now you're going to call that? S*itty!". Some of the fouls were laughable...glad it's over. G'Town has the bigs, they just need good guards and they can be a tourney team in the top 5 again. I agree we need St. John's and Georgetown to be top tier Big East teams. Glad to hear we got over 16k at the Garden. Just imagine if we were in Villanova's place. You wouldn't be able to get a ticket to any St. John's game. The announcers said something similar along the lines of "imagine how crazy the crowds would be with the Johnnies playing consistently good basketball year after year". With the Knicks never winning it would take over the city.

I totally doubt that St John's can get in with a loss. losing record(never been a NIT team with one) and a RPI near 85. Not a good combo at all. If they win, they're in. It's pretty much that simple.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 am

Last night's attendance topped the Big Ten Final - and every other session in their tournament except the semi-final.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 am

redmen9194 wrote:Yesterday, attendance at ACC Tourny in Brooklyn was just over 10,000 with Syracuse playing. St. John’s Georgetown had over 16,000 tonight - with a snow storm outside the building. Ha ha.

Not sure where you got that number. Of course attendance numbers are always paid crowds. MSG did look to have more fans in the building than at the ACC.
ACC last night-17,732

Big East-16,866 (By far the best in the FS1 version of the Big East for a 1st round)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 am

billyjack wrote:
ivet wrote:My season is officially done. Next year not looking so bright either

DePaul has been playing great here at the end of the year. They look like a completely different team compared to November and especially compared to last year. They look to be playing as a unit. I happened to be at the Dunk last month for their blowout win, which could be a sign of good things next year.

Big losses are McCallum and Maric. Reed though looks good, and he can replace Maric. And McCallum had problems on D. Cain and Strus return for their senior years.

Strus made some outrageous shits last night. I expect big things from him next year.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am

REDMEN1415 wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:Yesterday, attendance at ACC Tourny in Brooklyn was just over 10,000 with Syracuse playing. St. John’s Georgetown had over 16,000 tonight - with a snow storm outside the building. Ha ha.

What was the B1G tournament attendance?

1st Round - 14,681

2nd Round - 13,851
2nd Round - 13,996

1/4 Finals - 14,620
1/4 Finals - 14,530

Semi-Finals - 19,812 (sell out)

Championship - 15,063

The semi-final double header was the B1G’s first tournament game sell out since 2014 and the attendance for that game was their highest tournament attendance number since 2013.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 am

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Y'all were able to offset that loss with signature wins against the big teams in the conference this year. We were not, I think that if someone blindly stared at our wins and losses you'd be in over us simply because of Nova and X while we just swept Creighton and Seton Hall. So no I do not think it's threatened you as much as it's threatened us.

Exactly. So the problem is not the DePaul loss but the failure to come up with a signature win. Missed opportunities against X and VU at home.

I think that your guys are going to the tournament regardless. Just don’t blow another one to DePaul.

I just don't see it unless they beat Nova. Things like what's happening in Brooklyn right now with Louisville up on Florida St by 25 do not help Marquette in the least.

Having had a chance to re-think it, I agree with you. They need the upset over Nova.
Bill Marsh

Postby sju88grad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am

Garden was so much fun last night. 2 great games. Nice write up on the Johnnies in today’s NY Post...

https://nypost.com/2018/03/07/st-johns- ... rden-rock/
sju88grad

Postby redmen9194 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:08 pm

MUPanther wrote:

Not sure where you got that number. Of course attendance numbers are always paid crowds. MSG did look to have more fans in the building than at the ACC.
ACC last night-17,732

Big East-16,866 (By far the best in the FS1 version of the Big East for a 1st round)

Got the number off the box score on ESPN website which has attendance. The entire upper deck at Barclays was empty for the Cuse game.
redmen9194

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board