Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Gimme St. John's and Marquette by 10 a piece.

Wait, is Ponds playing?

Supposed to be. But even without him, St John’s has impressed me with other players stepping up down the stretch. Meanwhile Georgetown might be without Derrickson or will be playing him on a bad ankle, limiting their ability to dominate St John’s down low where they should have had the advantage.

Ponds is playing and Derrickson isn't? Give me the Redmen by 20.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Y'all were able to offset that loss with signature wins against the big teams in the conference this year. We were not, I think that if someone blindly stared at our wins and losses you'd be in over us simply because of Nova and X while we just swept Creighton and Seton Hall. So no I do not think it's threatened you as much as it's threatened us.

Exactly. So the problem is not the DePaul loss but the failure to come up with a signature win. Missed opportunities against X and VU at home.

I think that your guys are going to the tournament regardless. Just don’t blow another one to DePaul.

I just don't see it unless they beat Nova. Things like what's happening in Brooklyn right now with Louisville up on Florida St by 25 do not help Marquette in the least.

Sounds like more of a problem for Florida State than for Marquette.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Gimme St. John's and Marquette by 10 a piece.

Wait, is Ponds playing?

Supposed to be. But even without him, St John’s has impressed me with other players stepping up down the stretch. Meanwhile Georgetown might be without Derrickson or will be playing him on a bad ankle, limiting their ability to dominate St John’s down low where they should have had the advantage.

Ponds is playing and Derrickson isn't? Give me the Redmen by 20.

Game time decision for both although Newsday says that Ponds will play. I have more faith in Ponds performing well than Derrickson, who I think will be hobbled even if they put him out there.
Bill Marsh

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Exactly. So the problem is not the DePaul loss but the failure to come up with a signature win. Missed opportunities against X and VU at home.

I think that your guys are going to the tournament regardless. Just don’t blow another one to DePaul.

I just don't see it unless they beat Nova. Things like what's happening in Brooklyn right now with Louisville up on Florida St by 25 do not help Marquette in the least.

Bracket Matrix has Florida State comfortably in the tournament (a 9 seed) while listing Louisville on the First Four Out just one spot behind Marquette. This win today was big for Louisville's chances and consequently hurt Marquette's chances. I could see Marquette getting in without beating Villanova, but it's not highly likely. It probably would depend on early exits by some other teams (e.g. Baylor losing to West Viriginia tomorrow, Oklahoma State* losing today, Alabama losing tomorrow).

* I listed Oklahoma State among Bubble competitors, because Bracket Matrix does, but I think they are a little safer than the projections would suggest. At the same time, I don't think St. Mary's is going to make it, while Bracket Matrix seems to disagree, so overall it's a wash.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Novachap » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Great game so far between hoyas and SJU... hoyas shooting well from 3 and st. John's with some highlights slams!
Novachap

Postby MUPanther » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm hearing many Marquette are stuck in Syracuse. Looks to still have a big crowd in MSG.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby GoodNight&GoJays » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Glued to the TV for an 8-9 game. Love the B-east
GoodNight&GoJays

Postby BEhomer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Gtown is solid guard play away from being really good next year.

and St johns may look undisciplined at times but they play with a lot of energy at both ends.

I think both coaches have them going in the right direction.
BEhomer

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:I just don't see it unless they beat Nova. Things like what's happening in Brooklyn right now with Louisville up on Florida St by 25 do not help Marquette in the least.

Bracket Matrix has Florida State comfortably in the tournament (a 9 seed) while listing Louisville on the First Four Out just one spot behind Marquette. This win today was big for Louisville's chances and consequently hurt Marquette's chances. I could see Marquette getting in without beating Villanova, but it's not highly likely. It probably would depend on early exits by some other teams (e.g. Baylor losing to West Viriginia tomorrow, Oklahoma State* losing today, Alabama losing tomorrow).

* I listed Oklahoma State among Bubble competitors, because Bracket Matrix does, but I think they are a little safer than the projections would suggest. At the same time, I don't think St. Mary's is going to make it, while Bracket Matrix seems to disagree, so overall it's a wash.

I appreciate your use of Bracket Matrix, XU Fan, but today’s loss dropped Florida State to the 52 spot in RPI. THAT’s not a spot you want to be in on the primary metric that the committee is looking at. I don’t see Florida State as comfortably in any longer.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Novachap wrote:Great game so far between hoyas and SJU... hoyas shooting well from 3 and st. John's with some highlights slams!

St John’s defended the 3 much better in the 2nd half, cut down on TOs which had been a problem in the 1st half, and forced some Georgetown TOs instead. Really good defensive effort by St John’s in the 2nd half made the difference. I really liked the way the rest of the team stepped up to take the burden off Ponds.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board