Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 1st Round 3/7/18

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Gimme St. John's and Marquette by 10 a piece.

Wait, is Ponds playing?

Supposed to be. But even without him, St John’s has impressed me with other players stepping up down the stretch. Meanwhile Georgetown might be without Derrickson or will be playing him on a bad ankle, limiting their ability to dominate St John’s down low where they should have had the advantage.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:It would be much nicer if we just hadn't choked at Depaul. We'd be ahead of Creighton Providence and Seton Hall and be talking about our seed for the tournament. Wild how one game was the difference between 3rd and 7th this year for Marquette.

Can’t you say the same thing about all the other teams you just mentioned?

Seton Hall and Butler both lost close games to Georgetown that they should have won. Creighton let one get away at home to your guys in a close game. Providence blew one at home to DePaul. Those teams can all say, “If only we hadn’t let that one get away.”

Seems to me that you’ve got to take the good with the bad in this league.

Yes but I'm not a fan of those other teams ;)

And to reiterate what Stever said the only one that truly costs anything is the loss to Depaul.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:It would be much nicer if we just hadn't choked at Depaul. We'd be ahead of Creighton Providence and Seton Hall and be talking about our seed for the tournament. Wild how one game was the difference between 3rd and 7th this year for Marquette.

Seton Hall and Butler both lost close games to Georgetown that they should have won. Creighton let one get away at home to your guys in a close game. Providence blew one at home to DePaul. Those teams can all say, “If only we hadn’t let that one get away.”

Big difference though is the Marquette loss to DePaul might easily cost them an NCAA tourney bid.

I doubt it, but you could say the same thing about Providence.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

And to reiterate what Stever said the only one that truly costs anything is the loss to Depaul.

Are you saying that PC’s loss to DePaul hasn’t threatened their chances for a tournament bid?
Bill Marsh

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Looking forward to a great night tonight! I think it should be a sellout

Not even the snow will stop us from packing the Garden tonight! LETS GO!

My adopted teams for the night: St. John's and Marquette
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Are you saying that PC’s loss to DePaul hasn’t threatened their chances for a tournament bid?

Y'all were able to offset that loss with signature wins against the big teams in the conference this year. We were not, I think that if someone blindly stared at our wins and losses you'd be in over us simply because of Nova and X while we just swept Creighton and Seton Hall. So no I do not think it's threatened you as much as it's threatened us.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
I doubt it, but you could say the same thing about Providence.

Fair point, bare minimum, made it where Dayton is far more in play than it should be for Providence should Providence make the tourney.

Amazing to think on the other hand- how if Butler doesn't have their remarkable comeback vs Georgetown, right now, they'd be in a position where they might need to upset Nova to Make the tourney. And just how huge is the Butler comeback win vs Ohio St? If they don't have that- I think they're in real trouble right now- they would be only 1-10 in groups 1 and 2 road/neutral. Always amazing going back end of the year and see 1 or 2 games that's the difference between getting in and being NIT. Why I always look at the last 8 in and 1st 8 out on the preseason countdown and think they are pretty much equals- just how the ball bounces in 1-2 games makes the difference.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:12 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Y'all were able to offset that loss with signature wins against the big teams in the conference this year. We were not, I think that if someone blindly stared at our wins and losses you'd be in over us simply because of Nova and X while we just swept Creighton and Seton Hall. So no I do not think it's threatened you as much as it's threatened us.

Exactly. So the problem is not the DePaul loss but the failure to come up with a signature win. Missed opportunities against X and VU at home.

I think that your guys are going to the tournament regardless. Just don’t blow another one to DePaul.
Bill Marsh

Postby ivet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:19 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

ivet

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Exactly. So the problem is not the DePaul loss but the failure to come up with a signature win. Missed opportunities against X and VU at home.

I think that your guys are going to the tournament regardless. Just don’t blow another one to DePaul.

I just don't see it unless they beat Nova. Things like what's happening in Brooklyn right now with Louisville up on Florida St by 25 do not help Marquette in the least.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board