The home for Big East hoops

(3) Wednesday Big East Games 2/28/18

Postby MUPanther » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Providence at Xavier (-11) 6:30PM
TV: FS1- Tim Brando p-b-p & Jim Jackson analysis

Villanova (-6.5) at Seton Hall, 8:45PM
TV: FS1- Gus Johnson Play-By-Play & Bill Raftery Color

Butler (-3) at St John's, 9:00PM
TV: CBSSN- Brent Stover, Wally Szczerbiak & Jamie Erdahl reporter)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

(3) Wednesday Big East Games 2/28/18

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (3) Wednesday Big East Games 2/28/18

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06 pm

MUPanther wrote:Providence at Xavier (-11) 6:30PM
TV: FS1- Tim Brando p-b-p & Jim Jackson analysis

Huge! I’ll go with X at home.

Villanova (-6.5) at Seton Hall, 8:45PM
TV: FS1- Gus Johnson Play-By-Play & Bill Raftery Color

Huge! I’ll go with Nova on the road. Disappointing season for The Hall. With their experience & talent, I thought the Pirates were the team to beat going into the season. They can start redeeming themselves with a win in this game.

Butler (-3) at St John's, 9:00PM
TV: CBSSN- Brent Stover, Wally Szczerbiak & Jamie Erdahl reporter)

Huge! My head says Butler despite the home court advantage. But this should be a barn burner. Definitely an opportunity for the Johnnies to revive their recent turnaround at Carnesecca Arena on Senior Night.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:24 am

Interesting comments by Jay W on his radio show this week. I may not have the quotes exact but they were something like this:

On his team:
“This is probably the worst defensive team we’ve had in a while. We score so easily that guys don’t focus on making stops, they just figure ‘I can just come down and drill a 3 so I don’t have to worry about defending as hard.’” Not sure if he is trying to make a point to his players or just telling it like it is. Or both. But I anticipate a focused defensive effort tonight.

On SHU:
“I really think that Myles Powell is probably their best player.” With the big 3 seniors on that team, that’s a curious statement. High praise or way off, Pirate fans?

On new BE:
“I was worried about losing away games at places like Syracuse and L’ville because it forced you to up your game in those environments. I have to tell you that Hinkle, Cintas and Century Link are 3 of the most challenging places to play in the country. Tremendous college environments.”
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:17 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Interesting comments by Jay W on his radio show this week. I may not have the quotes exact but they were something like this:

On SHU:
“I really think that Myles Powell is probably their best player.” With the big 3 seniors on that team, that’s a curious statement. High praise or way off, Pirate fans?

Certainly not way off. Not sure I'd call him the best at the moment, but he could be. I'd put it this way:

Best player - Angel Delgado - known commodity as a good scorer and elite rebounder - the Hall doesn't give him the ball in the post as much as they should. With his improved passing ability this year, he's capable of getting a triple double. He's gotten close a few times, but hasn't pulled it off yet. As good as he is though, I feel opponents take the approach that he's gonna get his and they look to beat us in other areas.

Most important player - Khadeen Carrington - When he plays well, he makes everyone better. On his good days, the offense is a well oiled machine and everyone frequently gets the ball where they're most dangerous. When he's off, ball movement stagnates and the offense tends to revert to hero-ball. When Deeno hits some shots early, he plays with confidence and we get good Carrington.

Most dangerous player- Myles Powell - Mostly a role player with 4 seniors also on the roster, but he's great at what he does. He's the most dangerous player because he's the one guy who, even if everything else goes wrong, has the ability to singlehandedly give the Hall a chance to win a game they would otherwise have no business being competitive in. I liken him to Jeremy Hazell or Fuquan Edwin from past Seton Hall teams, though Powell is developing a better ability than them to positively impact the game even when his jumper isn't falling (as evidenced at SJU this weekend).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Let's go Johnnies.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:43 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Let's go Johnnies.

Lose big, is what you left off the end of that one... I think this one will be a struggle if we don't get a man infront of Ponds and keep him there all night! We do that we should be able to match up with the rest of the team and pull it out.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Novachap » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 pm

This is now absurd...

Broken hands for current players:
Phil Booth
Collin Gillespie
Jermaine Samuels

Future player with a broken hand this season:
Brandon Slater

Former player with a broken bone in his left hand---NOW Josh Hart--- he had been playing great starting for the Lakers too.

Crazy, need to get them back on Milk in the Nova training room.
Novachap

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Couldn't find the recruiting post, so my apologies. SJ got a commitment from Marcellus Earlington, a 6'5 PF from Don Bosco Prep. Rated as a 4 star football recruit who also was all state in basketball. He chose to stick with basketball.
MullinMayhem

Postby cu blujs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:55 pm

In the mid-late 90s, Creighton recruited a 6'2" SG, Ben Walker, who turned down a scholarship at running back to several Big Ten schools because he wanted to play basketball. He was a very solid, tough nosed kid who set the tone for Creighton in terms of toughness and was a huger part, along with his classmate, Ryan Sears at PG and of course Rodney Buford to start Creighton's return to success
cu blujs

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 pm

5:00 to go In the first half. Nova looks terrible tonight. Not sure what’s going on but this team is off in a big way. Ripe for a another loss.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board