End of Amateurism and P5 Conferences Split from NCAA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: End of Amateurism and P5 Conferences Split from NCAA

Postby Doge McDermott » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Xudash wrote:Any marketing majors here.

Anyone care to opine on the value of having an 18 year old kid that no one probably knows locally when he first sets foot on campus pitching car sales for the local dealer conglomerate?

You presuming that his school is going to allow him to wear their gear to boost his local market appeal in that community?

You still think the ad agency engaged by the auto dealer group is going to see value in such an ad placement?

Obviously, I have my opinion on this, but I'm all ears on understanding how someone who is in the business directly and with valid experience and credentials comes out on such an idea/scenario.

I actually work for an ad agency, but you don't need an expert in the field to see that companies already see a positive ROI on these investments. That is literally the entire point of the FBI investigation; Brian Bowen Jr. was indirectly paid by a shoe company to go to Louisville.

Why would they need to wear their school colors? They can just as easily wear a shirt from the dealership. There is nothing that says they need to run in August when the kids hit campus. Run the ad during the season when the kids are on TV. I'm sure people in OK would recognize Trae Young by now.

Obviously it's very client dependent, but generally speaking, TV and Digital tactics have a very efficient conversion rate. Plus it's earned media for the University. There are a number of reasons why this scenario makes sense, and your objections are silly.

ADDING: Have you SEEN local car commercials? Not exactly Mad Men production levels.
Doge McDermott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:51 pm

[ Dude, you’re better than that.[/quote]

I am just calling it how I see it. We have coaches making millions of dollars but people like XuDash never seem to find some loophole why it doesn't work. But even the thought of paying the players and there are suddenly endless obstacles to making it work. They seem to enjoy finding ways to keep the kids penniless.[/quote]

The NBA made that rule for a reason! They didn't want 18 year old millionaires making problems for them, because they were too immature to handle the money and the fame! A few years or even one struggling to make friends and on a few bucks is worth more than missing a guy out of High School...

You are still wrong for phrasing things like you did before and owe that guy an apology whether you think your point was right or not!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby MarquetteRustler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:16 pm

kmacker69 wrote:
The NBA made that rule for a reason! They didn't want 18 year old millionaires making problems for them, because they were too immature to handle the money and the fame! A few years or even one struggling to make friends and on a few bucks is worth more than missing a guy out of High School...

You are still wrong for phrasing things like you did before and owe that guy an apology whether you think your point was right or not!

Quite the authoritative comment on why one and done was implemented. I think it was more done to shield themselves from risk of drafting busts. Pretty easy to do when you have a de facto minor league in the NCAA that provides you free scouting. It also could give the player a built in fanbase that will follow them in the NBA, which means more eyeballs for TV broadcasts.

I will always err on the side of choice. Saying they are too immature to earn money doesn't jive with the fact that they're considered old enough to join the military and get shot at for a living. Every individual's situation is different. While some may be irresponislble with the money, others could use it to save their families frome dire circumstances. To deny them the opportunity to realize their monetary value because you believe you know it's actually what's best for them is not a good enough reason in my opinion.
MarquetteRustler

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:46 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:

Quite the authoritative comment on why one and done was implemented. I think it was more done to shield themselves from risk of drafting busts. Pretty easy to do when you have a de facto minor league in the NCAA that provides you free scouting. It also could give the player a built in fanbase that will follow them in the NBA, which means more eyeballs for TV broadcasts.

I will always err on the side of choice. Saying they are too immature to earn money doesn't jive with the fact that they're considered old enough to join the military and get shot at for a living. Every individual's situation is different. While some may be irresponislble with the money, others could use it to save their families frome dire circumstances. To deny them the opportunity to realize their monetary value because you believe you know it's actually what's best for them is not a good enough reason in my opinion.

As a USMC vet of 20 years, you have every choice you want, but most people need a little struggle to let them know how it works if you don't have money... Ever heard the saying that "rich people stay rich by living poor and poor people stay poor by living rich? I lived poor by USA standards and then learned what real poverty was! Most in the USA don't have a clue, but talk to me more about how they get an education, room, and board but that we are exploiting them... 80% of the world would kill to live as well as they do before they ever get a dollar from the NBA!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 pm

kmacker69 wrote:The NBA made that rule for a reason! They didn't want 18 year old millionaires making problems for them, because they were too immature to handle the money and the fame! A few years or even one struggling to make friends and on a few bucks is worth more than missing a guy out of High School...

lol, you owe us all an apology for that racist interpretation of the one-and-done rule. I applaud people in their success regardless of age. You know how hard it is to make it to major conference level hoops? You don't know shit about the work and suffering these kids have gone to just to get to this point.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:The NBA made that rule for a reason! They didn't want 18 year old millionaires making problems for them, because they were too immature to handle the money and the fame! A few years or even one struggling to make friends and on a few bucks is worth more than missing a guy out of High School...

lol, you owe us all an apology for that racist interpretation of the one-and-done rule. I know you may fear black men with money, but I applaud people in their success regardless of age. You know how hard it is to make it to major conference level hoops? You don't know shit about the work and suffering these kids have gone to just to get to this point.

I ran, served, and loved men and women of every color and creed, but because I don't agree with your version of things I'm a racist?!?! 20 years in the USMC and I don't know shit about suffering and work! (Oh and being a Division III All American in track and field, I really don't know what it's like to work and suffer for nothing but the love of the sport! Got my degree in the mail 10 years into the USMC because I owed that much to them and they wouldn't give it to me until I paid it off!) Get over your self and grow the hell up! Before you accuse someone of that shit know who the hell you are talking to!
Scott A. King MSgt USMC (Ret)
North Central College 1990 NCAA D III all American Decathlon

Bye!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Xudash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Xudash wrote:Any marketing majors here.

Anyone care to opine on the value of having an 18 year old kid that no one probably knows locally when he first sets foot on campus pitching car sales for the local dealer conglomerate?

You presuming that his school is going to allow him to wear their gear to boost his local market appeal in that community?

You still think the ad agency engaged by the auto dealer group is going to see value in such an ad placement?

Obviously, I have my opinion on this, but I'm all ears on understanding how someone who is in the business directly and with valid experience and credentials comes out on such an idea/scenario.

Do you get a hard-on thinking about keeping kids from earning money?

Could you possibly be any dumber than you appear to be here.

I have absolutely no reason to deny someone an opportunity to make a living or, in this case, allow some kid extra income in school so long it is all done above board.

My questions and comments and focus on this are related to whether or not it's all practical and would actually work.

I accept our friend from Creighton's comments, given that he is in the field. As an example, it doesn't make sense to turn any such ads loose until you get into the season, so that a player is more recognizable in a given community. Will they do ads for Nissan and Subaru? Perhaps. Will they be doing ads for Mercedes or Cadillac? I doubt it.

We will see what happens. My primary focus with all of this has to do with whether or not the P 65 split away or stay within the larger family. In my opinion, they stay.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

lol, you owe us all an apology for that racist interpretation of the one-and-done rule. I applaud people in their success regardless of age. You know how hard it is to make it to major conference level hoops? You don't know shit about the work and suffering these kids have gone to just to get to this point.

I was taking about the thousands of 17-20 years old Marines and Sailors that I dealt with personally as a leader in the USMC with that and how the NBA made the rule for a reason... Tell me why they did if my interpretation was wrong? I personally don't agree with it, but tell me how I was wrong as to why it was put in place...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm telling you guys...

The only way the NCAA can stay together long-term and away from controversies is returning as close as possible to true amateurism as possible and limiting the power of the conferences.

Any other way that involves $$$ will inevitably fragment the Association.

Return to amateurism and a level playing field. This is what I would do to level the playing field and go back in time.

For Players:

(1) cap player compensation to full Cost of Attendance
(2) Require higher baseline academic standards, higher GPA, ensure that players are on track to graduation
(3) Require that players get treated equally vs. students.
(4) require in-class attendance to a baseline percentage, or you get dropped from the team
(5) Demand the schools that players get at the very least 2-year scholarship commitments

For Schools:

(1) Cap the coaching salaries as a function of scholarships offered and the full COA of each scholarship (lets say $800k-1mill)
(2) Cap Athletic department administrative salaries
(3) Require that schools reinvest excess profits back into the academic/research mission or to cover non-revenue sports

For the NCAA:

(1) Demand that conference resize to minimize travel. Set a baseline mileage that students can travel all season
(2) Bring fairness to the NCAA tournament by limiting the amount of at-large bids a conference could get, and increment the amount of auto-bids, to spread out the talent across conferences, and reduce the pooling of revenue and fans into a few conferences
(3) I would even limit TV exposure as a way to limit revenue. The NCAA tried this a long time ago, but it failed. That was a turning point in its history. Again, it should be about amateurism, and as a not-for-profit institutions, revenue should be limited and balanced.

Yeah, just one man's opinion. Of course, people will hate me for it because the Big East and its members have a big advantage in the system... but if you want the system to thrive you need to balance the powers across all institutions, not just a few conferences... and you need to treat student-athletes as students and athletes, not just as quasi-athletes

All of this is too good to be true. So it won't happen. Oh well... sad state of affairs I must say
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Nildogg » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Shut the F up you primadonna X Fanboy. Racist interpretation? God I can't wait for X to choke in the tournament sending you and all of your type whimpering back to your little home-museum of X "we're not a Mid Major" paraphernalia wondering what the hell happened. This is your one in a million chance better hope your whole world doesn't come crashing down.

Racist interpretation... go to bed, you're drunk.
Nildogg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board