(4) Wed. Big East Games 2/21/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Wed. Big East Games 2/21/18

Postby BMRadio99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am

MUBoxer wrote:feel bad for Seton Hall. Most courts have ice under the wood it's nothing new IDK why Providence can't control it. Last year was extremely frustrating for us and I'd have actually prefered a delay over the joke of a game that happened. If I was a BE admin I'd be at the point where they need to control the ice issue or face a fine. The bradley center does it, allstate arena did it, madison square garden does it, I'm sure others I don't know do it as well.

Off the top of my head, I believe half of the Big East home arenas will have ice under them during the basketball season.
Butler / Hinkle - no
Creighton / CenturyLink Ctr - can, but doesn't (can Jays fans confirm?)
DePaul / Wintrust - no (previous arena - through 2016-17 season - has ice)
Georgetown - Capital One Arena - yes
Marquette / Bradley Ctr - no (had ice until 2016)
Providence / The Dunk - yes
St. John's / Carnesecca - no
St. John's / MSG - yes
Seton Hall / Prudential Ctr - yes
Villanova / WFC - yes
Villanova / Pavilion - no
Xavier / Cintas - no

*edit: I originally missed the Milwaukee Admirals! So it's legitimately half, and 6/10 if you count the Garden.
*edit 2: corrected the Bradley Center based on info from MUPanther. Thanks!
Last edited by BMRadio99 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMRadio99

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ChelseaFriar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 am

No idea why they can't fix this issue.

PC pays $50,000 per game in rent and in return they become the laughing stock of the nation. And, more importantly, players are put at injury risk.

I read last night that the building does not have a dehumidifier system. The building general manager said when the dunk was renovated the engineers felt it was too difficult to install with the old infrastructure. They are having another engineer in this week to explore options. Apparently the dehumidifier system is approximately 5 million dollars but it obviously needs to be done.
ChelseaFriar

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am

ChelseaFriar wrote:No idea why they can't fix this issue.

PC pays $50,000 per game in rent and in return they become the laughing stock of the nation. And, more importantly, players are put at injury risk.

I read last night that the building does not have a dehumidifier system. The building general manager said when the dunk was renovated the engineers felt it was too difficult to install with the old infrastructure. They are having another engineer in this week to explore options. Apparently the dehumidifier system is approximately 5 million dollars but it obviously needs to be done.

You would wonder if this will make it really impossible after last night to ever see them getting another NCAA tourney hosting shot.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:53 am

BMRadio99 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:feel bad for Seton Hall. Most courts have ice under the wood it's nothing new IDK why Providence can't control it. Last year was extremely frustrating for us and I'd have actually prefered a delay over the joke of a game that happened. If I was a BE admin I'd be at the point where they need to control the ice issue or face a fine. The bradley center does it, allstate arena did it, madison square garden does it, I'm sure others I don't know do it as well.

Off the top of my head, I believe half of the Big East home arenas will have ice under them during the basketball season.
Butler / Hinkle - no
Creighton / CenturyLink Ctr - can, but doesn't (can Jays fans confirm?)
DePaul / Wintrust - no
Georgetown - Capital One Arena - yes
Marquette / Bradley Ctr - NO
Providence / The Dunk - yes
St. John's / Carnesecca - no
St. John's / MSG - yes
Seton Hall / Prudential Ctr - yes
Villanova / WFC - yes
Villanova / Pavilion - no
Xavier / Cintas - no

*edit: I originally missed the Milwaukee Admirals! So it's legitimately half, and 6/10 if you count the Garden.
The Milwaukee Admirals will not be playing in the New Bucks Arena. So, in 2016, the Milwaukee Admirals moved to the old MECCA. (UWM Panther Arena) So, the ice in the Bradley Center has been gone since summer of 2016.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 am

Seton Hall at Providence will be on FOX Sports GO at 12PM ET.
MUPanther

Postby BMRadio99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:13 am

MUPanther wrote:The Milwaukee Admirals will not be playing in the New Bucks Arena. So, in 2016, the Milwaukee Admirals moved to the old MECCA. (UWM Panther Arena) So, the ice in the Bradley Center has been gone since summer of 2016.

Got it, that makes sense! Thanks.
BMRadio99

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 am

CenturyLink can have ice. No idea if it is there at this time. UNO hockey shared the arena with Creighton until it completed its new arena before last season. I'm not aware of any other use of the ice since then, so I don't know if they keep it there to keep the equipment working and/or if it has to be there to provide the support for the floor, or if they can melt the ice and use something in its place to support the floor.
cu blujs

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

Multi-functional arenas in any sport blow.

College basketball needs to do what baseball did at the end of the 80s and start getting out of those messes.

I remember while growing up Chicago Stadium was notorious for this.

Remember back in the day all of the football games that played right through the infield?
Edrick

Postby MUPanther » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm

BMRadio99 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:The Milwaukee Admirals will not be playing in the New Bucks Arena. So, in 2016, the Milwaukee Admirals moved to the old MECCA. (UWM Panther Arena) So, the ice in the Bradley Center has been gone since summer of 2016.

Got it, that makes sense! Thanks.

The move has paid off for the Admirals. They get 26% to 41% off of concessions. The Admirals and Marquette get zero in the rent at the Bradley Center.
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board