(1) Tuesday BE Game 2/20/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Tuesday BE Game 2/20/18

Postby cu blujs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

BEhomer wrote:Creighton doesn't have good half court set. it's one on one. not a lot of ball movement. I think in large part because teams are making it a priority to take away their transition offense. they at least had pick N roll with Kremplj but they don't even have that.

Because we have no PG to get us into any sets. Once we lost Krampelj and his ability to get to the rim, we also have zero inside game to force teams to help inside opening slashing and passing lanes. We had two glaring weaknesses coming into this season, PG and Post. Martin was a welcome surprise in the post that helped cover up our lack of PG. But without him our lack of a BE caliber PG is all,the more glaring. We simply have no room for error. Marcus has to be full on beast mode and Khyri flawless on defense for us to be in any game. That just isn't going to happen every night. Unfortunately, there apparently is not one other guy on the team capable of picking up the slack when those 2 guys aren't on all cylinders.

Mac may have wished he had gone to tOSU last summer, because if Martin doesn't get back, Khyri goes pro (many boards have him first round), and if either the PG recruit isn't the next coming of Trae Young or they work a miracle with Kaleb Joseph this summer, we are going to battle to be out of the play in game next couple years.
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kellernr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:58 am

like I said earlier, I think Butler now is pretty much a lock for the tourney.

Going to be a really nervous time for Creighton. You would like to think 1 win(even just over DePaul) would get them in, but then again, if only d1 teams you've beaten since Jan 17 are DePaul(x2), St John's, and Georgetown- you might have a problem. 19-11(remembering the d2 game doesn't count) puts their RPI entering the BET at 51.5. I think that's bare minimum what they would need- as 18-12 only gets them a RPI of 64.7. 19 gets them on the bubble, 20 gets them in probably for sure.

The DePaul plan worked for X last year. Maybe it will work for Creighton
Lets Go X!
kellernr

Postby cu blujs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:58 pm

X had two things last year that Creighton sorely lacks this year, a true PG and a strong inside presence. Few teams make it out of the first weekend without both.
cu blujs

Postby scoscox » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Strong inside presence is a stretch, but no doubt Quentin has been a great facilitator from day one. He's just saying as far as needing wins to get into the tournament, only beating depaul worked for us, although beating Butler in the tournament was probably what got us in. On top of that, I don't see you guys as being in the dire straits that we were last year to pick up wins down the stretch, nor do you look as hopeless as we did in my opinion.
scoscox

Postby cu blujs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

I would call O'mara to an extent but in particular Gaston a strong inside presence - at least compared to us having a gimpy Toby Hegner and a skinny freshman with a total of like 8 games under his belt. In terms of what it takes to get in at this point, beating DePaul is certainly a must and might be enough - but I think it will take winning one in BE (2 if we fall to the 7 seed), which of course means beating X or Nova in the quarterfinals.
cu blujs

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Xavier was 18-12 entering that final game with DePaul regular season. With 2 games back to back with them.

Creighton is 18-9 right now with games left with Villanova, @ Marquette besides the DePaul game. So assuming losses in those 2 games 18-11.

big difference though I think is SOS. Going into the DePaul games, Xavier was #7 overall SOS and #21 OOC SOS by NCAA metrics. Creighton sits today at #46 overall SOS and #233 OOC SOS(even with a d2 game not counting). And they would be looking at a situation where they could just like Xavier last year get DePaul in 1st rd of BET(almost certainly if Seton Hall beats Providence tonight and wins once more).

I think for Xavier, beating Butler got you out of Dayton quite frankly(and pushed Providence there).
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm

cu blujs wrote:I would call O'mara to an extent but in particular Gaston a strong inside presence - at least compared to us having a gimpy Toby Hegner and a skinny freshman with a total of like 8 games under his belt. In terms of what it takes to get in at this point, beating DePaul is certainly a must and might be enough - but I think it will take winning one in BE (2 if we fall to the 7 seed), which of course means beating X or Nova in the quarterfinals.

I disagree about needing 2 in the BET if you fall to 7 seed(assuming 1 win vs DePaul regular season). Going 1-1 beating DePaul but losing to Xavier- you are 20-12 with a 49 RPI. I would have to think that's easily enough.

I don't think just beating DePaul regular season will be enough. Going 1-2 down the stretch and losing to 3 seed Providence in New York- that puts you at 19-12 with a 57 RPI. That would be extremely bubbly.

I think pretty much with what we're seeing either 19 with the win being vs Nova or 20 with any 2 wins and Creighton is in.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board