Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:00 pm

billyjack wrote:Stever literally has more coaching experience than Penny Hardaway.
Both coach at middle schools, but Stever has more years.
Any openings near Northern Virginia? George Mason? American U?

actually here in Northern Virginia, there isn't middle school ball. It's more like Youth Club.

And I don't think I would want to coach the older guys. Like working with the younger kids. Always have.

I think my favorite thing was a few years ago when my youth team had a game and got a buzzer beating 3 pointer, and the setup was almost 100% the setup that Nova did to win the title. I saw the video of the play and I was like I've seen that play before.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:22 pm

billyjack wrote:Stever literally has more coaching experience than Penny Hardaway.

How many years did Stever play in the NBA? Did he make 4 All-Star teams? Has he coached multiple top 100 recruits?

There are more ways than one to make it to the head coach's spot. I would be wary of betting against Penny.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

How many years did Stever play in the NBA? Did he make 4 All-Star teams? Has he coached multiple top 100 recruits?

There are more ways than one to make it to the head coach's spot. I would be wary of betting against Penny.

The Hardaway thing... remember the pessimism S20 showed towards the Mullin hire? Dismissing his HOF status and NBA front office experience as being irrelevant to his new job. Now he pencils in Hardaway as an exciting choice who should quickly get Memphis' mojo back.

That was the backstory behind my joking about Stever being more qualified.

We have examples of NBA guys doing well, or sucking, or being average.

Hardaway might do great. Or he could tank. I have no issues with Memphis nor Hardaway. Just noting the difference in outlook from S20.
Providence
billyjack

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

billyjack wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

The Hardaway thing... remember the pessimism S20 showed towards the Mullin hire? Dismissing his HOF status and NBA front office experience as being irrelevant to his new job. Now he pencils in Hardaway as an exciting choice who should quickly get Memphis' mojo back.

Hardaway might do great. Or he could tank. I have no issues with Memphis nor Hardaway. Just noting the difference in outlook from S20.

My bad. For what its worth, I think Mullin and Penny are good hires. These are guys who have reached the ultimate peak of their professions. There is no such thing as a guarantee, but they are worthy risks in my book.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 pm

DudeAnon, i agree.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm

billyjack wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

1 reason I think Hardaway might do better than Mullin is he's got the recruiting ties. Like for instance the #1 player in the 2019 recruitign class. If those guys come to him as a result of this- that's just huge.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am

So I saw that La Salle's coach stepped down after 14 years....

Jeff Goodman posted that one name to watch was Tim Legler(who played at La Salle)

FYI, my team actually played a game vs the AAU team that Legler was coaching. Beat him by 25 points. I remember warning the girls prior to the game- this team probably is going to be able to shoot the ball given how great of a shooter he was.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 am

stever20

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am

Pitt hired Jeff Capel. Will be interesting to see if he gets nailed for cheating again after studying under the master the last several years.
Irishdawg

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 am

stever20 wrote:Saw Hurley did in fact leave for UConn.

If nothing else, this totally shows where the A10 is in relation now to the AAC. To have your best coach leave for the AAC is devastating.

The AAC if UConn and Memphis get back to their normal becomes a whole lot more difficult to ignore. Already had 3 top 6 seed year this year.

Stever, the problem at UConn is its devastating drop in attendance in recent years, which is why they were willing to go to the max to get Hurley. If he’s successful, his contract will pay for itself.

Membership in the AAC hurts UConn attendance for a number of reasons, regardless of how the league is rated. So, objective #1 For both Hurley and their AD Benedict has to be to improve attendance. More wins will help a lot but they also need to bolster the schedule with schools that are of more interest to their fan base.

My proposal is that UConn use all of their available OOC games to schedule P6 Northeast teams from the Big East, ACC, and Big Ten. They should accept the fact that the bottom half of the AAC is a group of schools that teams normally schedule in November/December to warm up against. They should therefore lobby the AAC to schedule some conference games in December. In my proposal, they would play high level tournament games in November and go from there with the P6 games, saving some feature games with their old BE rivals for January/February.

This is the old “play any team, any time, any place” Gonzaga attitude with which a team schedules more like an independent than one whose feature games are in conference. Here are the 9 games I propose that they schedule OOC every year:

Boston College
Providence
Syracuse
St. John’s
Seton Hall
Rutgers
Villanova
Maryland
Georgetown

A side benefit would be building relationships with ACC and B1G schools who might eventually help them in their efforts to gain membership in one of these leagues. In this effort, they might prefer to schedule Pitt or Penn State instead of Seton Hall.

Your thoughts?
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board