Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 am

Savannah Jay wrote:Hurley was a slam dunk. Penny's coaching career entails two years as a high school assistant coach and one year as a high school head coach. For Memphis to hire someone with so little experience, even one of their most famous former players, seems a tad desperate. But he will fill up the arena year 1.

Penny though has the chance to get the recruiting lines opened back up, which is gigantic.

So I guess you thought St John's was desperate when they got Mullin?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

DudeAnon wrote:UConn gets Hurley for 6 years. Slam dunk hire. Combine that with Memphis getting Hardaway and his pipeline of talent and the AAC's trajectory seems to be trending upwards.

I wanted Hurley to stay at Rhody, but if that couldn't happen, i just didn't want him at Pitt, Louisville, or anywhere in the ACC.

Hardaway... could end up like any of Dunleavy, Mullin, or Ewing, but he has less experience than any of those guys did. Memphis' recruiting grounds don't overlap any of ours, so whatever.
Providence
billyjack

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Multiple reports that Mack is meeting with Louisville officials this weekend. Couple insiders suggested that the deal may be announced on Tuesday.

Ugh.
nickpapagiorgio

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Anybody else notice that some of the same posters that criticized the Mullin/St. Johns and Ewing/Georgetown hires are the same ones promoting and celebrating the Penny/Memphis hire? Very interesting, especially because some of those posters are "fans" of this conference. Not sure how one is different from the other, but oh well.

If Mack leaves Xavier, Xavier will be fine. Mack is a terrific coach, don't get me wrong - but so was Miller, Matta, Prosser and others. Xavier, like many Big East programs are not built on a single coach in the vein of UCLA-Wooden, Indiana-Knight, Syracuse-Boeheim, Duke-Coach K, etc.; they are built on a collection of coaches that continually build and elevate the program to new heights. Look at Butler. Look at Marquette. Heck, look at Villanova. Our programs are built on numerous coaches; not one long lasting one that becomes bigger than the program.

If I'm Mack, I look for and negotiate a very long-term deal (8-10 years). There is no telling what type of additional sanctions or penalties may be headed their way. Crean was smart to negotiate an 8-year deal when he left Marquette for IU. It was going to take time to build the program the right way. I also don't accept anything less than $3 million per year, with escalators going up. Heck, if he's like Buzz Williams, he will have a roll-over clause that guarantees a fifth year each and every season (continual five-year contract) with a full guarantee of payment if ever fired.

Travis Steele would be an excellent choice to promote if he doesn't go to Louisville with him.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby kayako » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:26 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Look at Butler. Look at Marquette. Heck, look at Villanova. Our programs are built on numerous coaches; not one long lasting one that becomes bigger than the program.

Eh, I happen to think continuity is important. It's scary to think what Butler program would look like right now with Stevens. BTW Jay Wright is the 5th HC of the Wildcats since the 1930's...
supernova
kayako

Postby BEhomer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Hurley going to Uconn is just one hurdle for them. If he does have success there and big program comes calling will they be able to keep him?
BEhomer

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 pm

BEhomer wrote:Hurley going to Uconn is just one hurdle for them. If he does have success there and big program comes calling will they be able to keep him?

If he brings them back to where they were before with final 4's etc., then it'd be tough to leave.
stever20

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm

stever20 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:Hurley was a slam dunk. Penny's coaching career entails two years as a high school assistant coach and one year as a high school head coach. For Memphis to hire someone with so little experience, even one of their most famous former players, seems a tad desperate. But he will fill up the arena year 1.

Penny though has the chance to get the recruiting lines opened back up, which is gigantic.

You really can't be this stupid. That would be saying that 13 years in the front office of an NBA franchise is the same experience as 3 years of high school coaching.

You know what Penny was doing 4-5 years before he was hired as Memphis' coach? Coaching a middle school team in Memphis. Do you know what Mullin was doing 4-5 years before being hired as St. John's coach? Working in the front office of the Sacramento Kings, including being responsible for college scouting.

I, for one, would love for Penny to be successful because I'd enjoy some more Lil Penny commercials.

EDIT: 4-5 years ago, I was coaching middle school basketball, too, so maybe I have a future in the AAC!
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:

You really can't be this stupid. That would be saying that 13 years in the front office of an NBA franchise is the same experience as 3 years of high school coaching.

You know what Penny was doing 4-5 years before he was hired as Memphis' coach? Coaching a middle school team in Memphis. Do you know what Mullin was doing 4-5 years before being hired as St. John's coach? Working in the front office of the Sacramento Kings, including being responsible for college scouting.

I, for one, would love for Penny to be successful because I'd enjoy some more Lil Penny commercials.

EDIT: 4-5 years ago, I was coaching middle school basketball, too, so maybe I have a future in the AAC!

working in the front office is completely different than coaching. And I'd say he has shown that at times in the 3 years. If Memphis was desperate than St John's has to go down as having been desperate due to hiring someone with no college/pro coaching experience.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Stever literally has more coaching experience than Penny Hardaway.
Both coach at middle schools, but Stever has more years.
Any openings near Northern Virginia? George Mason? American U?
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board