Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2018

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am

Mack may leave and nobody would fault him for it. But there is no way Kelsey would be the coach in waiting. The job goes to Travis Steele and everyone knows it. You can root for Xavier's demise all you want fieldhouse but we actually know how to keep a program running between coaching changes.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am

DudeAnon wrote:Mack may leave and nobody would fault him for it. But there is no way Kelsey would be the coach in waiting. The job goes to Travis Steele and everyone knows it. You can root for Xavier's demise all you want fieldhouse but we actually know how to keep a program running between coaching changes.

Truer words have never been spoken (or typed). The string of successful hires at X is unparalleled. Still hope he stays. I think it would mean the world to our conference.
Savannah Jay

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:02 am

Top-ranked recruit DeAndre Ayton chooses Arizona – ESPN - September 7, 2016
DeAndre Ayton, the top-ranked boys' basketball recruit in the country, has chosen Arizona over Kentucky and Kansas.

Arizona athletic director Dave Heeke says he stands behind coach Sean Miller in regards to FBI probe - ESPN - October 30, 2017
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Arizona athletic director Dave Heeke told ESPN that he stands behind head men's basketball coach Sean Miller after Wildcats assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson was one of four high-major assistant coaches arrested as part of an FBI probe into corruption within college basketball.

"I have utmost respect for Sean," Heeke said in an exclusive interview with ESPN. "He's a guy of high integrity who has run this program in an honest and clear and upfront way. I have no reason to not believe he's done that always. I fully am in support of Sean and the program he's run."

"I know we've been diligent from a compliance perspective and that Sean certainly is,"
he added. "I have all the confidence in the world that we've done the right things and people knew what's right and what's wrong."

FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussed $100K payment to lock recruit - ESPN – February 23, 2018
FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone conversations between Arizona coach Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption, in which Sean Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, sources familiar with the government's evidence told ESPN.

According to people with knowledge of the FBI investigation, Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a runner working for ASM Sports agent Andy Miller, had multiple conversations about Ayton. When Dawkins asked Sean Miller if he should work with assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson to finalize their agreement, Miller told Dawkins he should deal directly with him when it came to money, the sources said.

It appears that Arizona may be looking for a new head coach in the spring (if not sooner).
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs – Post # 114
Earlier today admin wrote:
ESPN just said Sean Miller might never coach another college game. Assume Arizona has to forfeit all of their wins and will miss the NCAA tournament, I suppose that opens up one extra at large bid.

NCAA president: Decisions on Sean Miller, Deandre Ayton up to Arizona – ESPN – 1:21 PM EST on February 24, 2018
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby BEXU » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Surprised FF isn't worried about "Super Recruiter" and former UD coach Archie Miller when he worked with Book Richardson and Sean Miller @ AZ?
BEXU

Chris Mack News / Xavier Coaching Search

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am

Tweet – Matt Jones, Kentucky Sports Radio, Lexington – 3:58 on March 23, 2018
Good source tells me that Chris Mack to Louisville is close to complete....”All over but the shouting” were the exact words.

Louisville deal with Xavier coach Chris Mack reportedly ‘close to complete’ – Ryan Wooden, Louisville Diehards – March 24, 2018 – 2 hours ago
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Looks like Mack is gone...

Kent Taylor
@KentTaylorWAVE

The family of a recruit says that a Xavier coach or assistant coach has called and informed them that they are now actually recruiting for UofL.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:34 pm

Sad if true that Mack is gone, don't really get it, UofL is such a sleeze of a university (not just basketball, look at their football as well), will likely be under some sort of probation (you would think). I know money talks about how much money is enough? X was a #1 seed this year so don't tell me they can't win a national championship. He's an X alum for god sake!
Jet915

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 am

Jet915 wrote:Sad if true that Mack is gone, don't really get it, UofL is such a sleeze of a university (not just basketball, look at their football as well), will likely be under some sort of probation (you would think). I know money talks about how much money is enough? X was a #1 seed this year so don't tell me they can't win a national championship. He's an X alum for god sake!

Unfortunately it’s happening. Expected to be announced formally on Wednesday. Here’s hoping we’re not fleeced in the process. By all accounts, we did all we could to keep him. It’s widely rumored that X offered him 3M a year to stay. Apparently it wasn’t enough.

Mack is the best coach we’ve ever had and he’s an X guy, so I think his departure hurts more than Pete’s, Skip’s, Thad’s, and Sean’s, but I’m ready to move on and figure out what and who is next. This has been hanging over X fans’ heads all season, and we knew it was coming when our season ended. Next man up.
nickpapagiorgio

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:33 am

nickpapagiorgio wrote:By all accounts, we did all we could to keep him. It’s widely rumored that X offered him 3M a year to stay. Apparently it wasn’t enough.

Wow, big kudos to Xavier if this is true. Losing Mack to Louisville doesn't look good for the league, but Xavier is officially "big time" in my eyes if they're willing to pay $3M to keep the coach. That's top 15 salary, and more than what Nova's paying Jay. Nothing personal against Mack, but I hope Louisville gets hit hard by sanctions and he comes to regret leaving Xavier.
supernova
kayako

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board